Felt Cruiser Build......not for cruising

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Well I finally drug the ol' race bike out today for a check up and to clean the cobwebs off it......three pulls of the recoil and she started right up! Took er for a spin around the block and oh how I forget how much fun this bike is to ride.

Started to give the bike a pre-race inspection before dark and everything is looking as good as the day it left the track back in May. I may not tinker with the gearing just yet, but ya never know?

Today's pic's (same as always)...

Just can't wait till Saturday to ride this bike again!

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Today's pics....the flip side

And a little something that is easy to overlook...

a snapped chain link just waiting to fail....
Look real close at that chain, the whole thing was about to go down the crapper. It looks like a matter of what was going to let go first. Pins pulled to the edge, rollers ground off at an angle from abuse, plates twisted. And that's in the few inches we can see.

Get a better brand of chain, maybe? Something that says "Severe Duty" on the package somewhere. (I tried to use emotes but it said there were too many images )

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Look real close at that chain, the whole thing was about to go down the crapper. It looks like a matter of what was going to let go first. Pins pulled to the edge, rollers ground off at an angle from abuse, plates twisted. And that's in the few inches we can see.

Get a better brand of chain, maybe? Something that says "Severe Duty" on the package somewhere. (I tried to use emotes but it said there were too many images )
Yeah Dave, that chain is definitely toast! At the last race if I had raced the second heat race, it probably would have failed in the final or the last race of the day after that.

The primary chain wasn't as bad but it's a super HD #35 karting chain and all chains are being replaced today for the race weekend.

That #41 chain is a Tsubaki and is of decent quality made in Taiwan. It just goes to show what 20+ horsepower can do to a chain in a short time, especially when you don't lube it much ;)

The replacement chain is good quality #41 made in Taiwan and the primary is top of the line #35 karting chain.

I think I might change the back tire while I'm at it as this tire has been on for several races and is quite worn, but still working real well.

My thinking is pretty much "if it ain't broke.....don't fix it"......leave well enough alone if things are working great.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I installed new drive chains today as well as new gearing and a new rear tire for the race this weekend......today's pics

And we're good to go for the race this weekend!

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Bought a few tune-up parts for the race bike to start the race season off fresh. I haven't pulled the head off for a while and I went back to using the original head gasket that came with this engine 4 years ago......time for a new one?

What am I doing to my motorized bicycle today?

.wee.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I made a new clutch cover while draining the oil yesterday. This cover is replacing the stainless steel U-bolt that I was using, this should do a little better job of keeping my leathers and pants leg out of the 9,000rpm clutch

It's not quite finished yet......it could use some lightening up lol

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Here is a look inside the crank case while test fitting the new larger cam to see if the block needs additional clearance or not. As it turns out, it does not and installed the new larger cam and buttoned up the lower end.......now it's time to remove the head for inspection and installation of new valve springs and a fresh new head gasket.

Pics from yesterday....

More pics of today's head removal up next.......

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Removed the head and cleaned things up a bit. Wire brushed the stainless steel valves, wiped the carbon off the piston top and combustion chamber and installed the new, improved 37lb. valve springs.

I had to enlarge two holes for the dowel pins on the new head gasket then slapped it all back together and fired up! Here are some pics and a short vid.....

Fired right up!

Do you know which is the new 37lb. spring?

Almost ready to race next month......see you there!