European lightweight Motorized Bicycles

GoldenMotor.com

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Here's one that I've stumbled across. I was not able to learn much about it, other than it's from the German Democratic Republic. East Germany.

But I saw one hint that it might be a "Simson S-1".

East German.jpg

There was also a youtube video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_3Sm689_1k

The name on the channel is one "Erich Honecker". But that must be an alias. I believe the real Honecker was imprisoned and might now be dead.

But it's a nice looking bike, all the same.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Th main historically important Honecker was this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erich_Honecker
Yep! That's the guy I was thinking of.

There's just something about the 1980s. I'm not all that nostalgiac. It wasn't a happy time. But that decade produced some astounding leaders. Reagan, Thatcher & Gorbachev being the big three. Plus the remarkable John Paul II.

Then there were people like Vaclav Havel and Lech Walesa. Pretty common men who were not in the good graces of those in power who managed to get the power and kick out the old guys. Corazon Aquino was, perhaps, a bit closer to the ring before she became political. But her triumph was still pretty amazing. Nelson Mandela. Though he doesn't quite make it on the list since he was still imprisoned and his rise only came later. But I still kinda think of him as one of a large and interesting bunch of leaders.

Honecker doesn't really fit, either. Other than the fact that he appeared to see what was coming and chose not to face it with force. Yet the east European communists had used force to good effect, for themselves, in Hungary '56 and Czechoslovakia '68. It was hardly unprecedented.

So maybe he deserves an honorable mention. As does FW deKlerk for similar reasons.

I wouldn't want to re-live those days. But I'm glad I witnessed them.

Lars-Vivendi

Mar 10, 2015
germany
Dear all,
only joining the community yesterday, it took me til now to scroll through all these wonderful pictures you collected. I could buy each and every of these, i think this is a great repository of these bikes, really. But one of my favourites is missing i believe, so i thought its a good first post of mine maybe. I dont dare to post the picture due to all the copyright issues we all run into these days, but i believe posting the link should be ok ( hopefully the page is online for a while still)
So. Have fun :
http://www.motorrad-fuchs.com/de/single,528,1,GOE_100_TH.html
Cheers,
Lars

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
There's an Argentinian made bike that was a licence built Goricke, and I posted it in Non European bikes, does that count? :)

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Wrap up warm, pedal more, the problem largely goes away.
Oh, I don't think there's any way he could have been serious, Ludwig.

We're hardcore cyclists here. Not some namby-pambys who can't get two blocks without a car. And so were the people who bought those bikes when they were in production.

There is no way in the world that someone would come on here and say such a thing seriously. Well, maybe a sock puppet would.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Goat, I like the odd seat on that Simson; It kinda looks
like a precursor of the Cane Creek seat post.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Is that an outboard motor's shaft I see sticking down past the hub?
Cute chain guard, but the rest is beyond homely.