Engines

GoldenMotor.com

Bruce W.R.

Mar 8, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Is ther a spot on this website with motorbike stories ? I love reading about the builds , especially the funny,unsuccessful ones. I have a few myself.

Bruce W.R.

Mar 8, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
To Velodrome, I answered your question but the post disappeared. The basket looking thing is the clutch cover, normally it would be solid because primary drives have oil to lube a chain Since I'm using belt drive I left it open for added cooling to the clutch disc. It's a one piece casting and is yet to be finished, it will be thinned down and much more elegant. Just a futherment of uniqueness on my part. And yes, before anyone asks, I purposely spelled Gravely wrong on the belt inspection cover.

Bruce W.R.

Mar 8, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
I uploaded some more pics showing the oil pump and where I rerouted the suction line, also the timer and spark advance. Another shows the wood casting patterns

Bruce W.R.

Mar 8, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Been looking at Excalibur 09 , absolutely love it!!!! Especially the leading link fork and I will be taking liberties and copying that gas tank !

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hello Bruce,

I don't know it he has done anything recently. He mentioned on one of my threads that he had health problems as well and I believe they were serious problems the way he said it. I just posted his thread so that everyone could see what he had suggested as the way to approach converting the motor to be used in a motor bike.

He may be watching and hopefully he'll let us know if he's still building a bike with this motor.

Steve.

Bruce W.R.

Mar 8, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
I added some photos to my album of a book I bought years ago, anyone ever see it before ? There's also one of a gravely crankcase half with pencils pointing to the oil return ports which must be blocked.

Last edited:

58er

Jun 14, 2015
Michigan
Worksman is indeed a great wheel with a 3/8" axle & will mount the same Coker tire or the Vee brand 2.5" x 26" kevlar belted tire which is not speed rated but is load rated at 650 lbs. per tire and at a cost about a third of the Coker. The two brand of tires are on ebay. Sportsman flyer & other vendors have the Worksman wheels. Simplex wheels are sometimes listed on ebay, used of course.
Does anyone have the model number of the tires mentioned in this quote from earlier in this thread?
looking for both the Coker and the vee brands.....
thanks

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
NOLA Wheels in New Orleans is the distributor. I should have posted 750 lbs. load rating my mistake. Get on ebay and run a search on Vee bicycle tires... comes right up. Has the 2.5" x 26" and 2.2 as well. I'm using them and ordering another pair as well. Only available at this time in those two sizes so don't need a model number. They also offer a specially designed & extremely heavy duty tube for the 2.5" Vee tire as well. I'll post a phone number when I have time to look it up. He's thinking about doing a special run of Vee kevlars in 26" x 3" as well. He is also well aware of the Coker Simplex reproductions as well. Good guy who also deals in motorcycle wheels and tires (Vee brand also). Rick C.

Bruce W.R.

Mar 8, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
I wasn't really concerned about tires, I built a 20 in. bike once with a 3.5 hp. Briggs and destroyed the rear wheel in short order, the spokes popped like banjo strings. The 26 inchers have even longer spokes but no heavier. Axels and bearings I can change.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Big difference in bicycle wheels. Cheap wheels are used in most discount store bikes. They usually utilize 14 gauge spokes, thin single wall rim (aluminum or steel) Quality wheels either in aluminum or steel are much more robust thicker rims, single wall or double wall construction) 12 gauge high quality stainless steel spokes minimum. Worksman uses 11 gauge in their high quality wheels and they aren't the only supplier with strong wheels, but they have a reputation that goes back to the 1890's. If you want tougher by quality hubs and lace up 10 gauge or thicker spokes. If you want a 26" look but more strength than Worksman buy quality hub, spokes and rim & lace them up or hire it done. If you don't think quality bicycle tires & wheels are tough just watch the Red Bull rampage on you tube! The concern about tires is relevant to what decisions you make on wheels...if you go 26" & want a good load and or speed rated tire the selection is limited especially if a vintage look is required. Coker Simplex at about $130. a tire is a vintage replica that has an authentic ribbed tread. Coker's sight doesn't list these as being load rated and are not DOT rated for speed, but experience over the years by many users is pretty positive.

I still think 19" or 20" small motorcycle wheels and tire are an excellent way to go if you want peace of mind and performance strength and speed from a wheel tire combination; and the brakes,axles and bearings in these are excellent as well. None of the above is necessarily inexpensive by the way. My 2 cents on the subject and it's probably not worth that. lol Rick C