Engine Wont start

GoldenMotor.com

Nooflyer

Jun 26, 2012
Kansas
Hi guys i'm back into motorized bicycle riding and i bought a new kit a month ago, Assembled it in a day and every once in awhile i ride it, it only has about an hour running time.

Anyway i tried to start it and today it didn't fire or choke at all.
I then pick the bike up with clutch out and spin the back tire and it tries to start but only picked up. So i get back on the bike and pedal to about 10 mph and release the clutch and it doesn't start or puff as if there is no compression!. sounds very strange.

Any ideas? also this motor has 2 head gaskets and ran fine until today.
it did rain a couple days ago but also i rode it yesterday after it rained!
I may just buy a magneto to be safe!:-||

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Water in the side cover WILL toast the coil. I've seen it over and over again working on these engines.
Check inside the cover. If you see any signs of water, the coil is possibly(probably) toast.

Nooflyer

Jun 26, 2012
Kansas
I opened the magneto cover and it all seems dry, so i put it back together after i changed the spark plug with an extra one supplied in the kit. It was wet and black looking (seems rich). But while the spark plug was out i pushed it to see if it was flooded and nothing spilled out. put the spark plug back in then emptied the muffler.
everything was put back together and i started it and it ran for about 15 seconds and died and never started back up!
so what should i try now?

Attachments

Nooflyer

Jun 26, 2012
Kansas
Ok my motorized bicycle ran fine today for about 10 minutes or so then shut off again and wont start back up. I'm kind of stumped of why it keeps happening every other day. I honestly haven't rode the bike longer than 20 minutes without something going bad.
I do plan to tighten the flower nut on the clutch to see if the motorized bicycle is slipping or not.
Anyway i have the clone dellorto carb and it seems to give my just enough troubles as the stock carb ( but with the air leak at the intake).
I also just replaced the inline filter! Please help!

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Replace that coil.
I've had them do exactly as you describe, running just long enough for me to get stranded pedaling. It drove me nuts for weeks. Even after sitting in the sh&tpile for months, it did the same thing when I dug it out and tried it. Runs fine for about 15-20 minutes and then craps out.

justinynayeli

Sep 15, 2013
ocala fl
I just mounted a new motor to my Bick it sounds like it wants to turn on but it shuts off like its not getting enough gas could some one tell me what it is?

Nooflyer

Jun 26, 2012
Kansas
I rode it again for about 10 minutes and it crapped out again. Luckily i already ordered a coil and that should be here on Monday! will keep you guys posted!
I do have another question though. While i was riding it didn't seem like it was going full speed, but when i take off the air filter from the carb it bolted full speed! What causes this to happen?

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
It's jetted far too rich, like all stock kits.
Move the needle clip to the second groove from the top and break it in fully (usually three or four tanks)
I seem to get the best results from this needle setting on stock engines with a stock chrome can muffler.
Once it's broken in good, you can tune for best power. Tuning a new engine is a waste of time. Just let it blubber until it's ready to sing.
Every kit I've ever seen was blubbery rich from the factory. They want them super rich to help prevent warranty failures and don't care HOW it runs, as long as it runs past the warranty period.

Nooflyer

Jun 26, 2012
Kansas
Thanks very much.
Today i got the magneto in the mail and installed it, yet still no avail.
I heard a couple of pops/bang but not start. I checked for spark and i have it.
I also have a cdi on the way on Tuesday. So hopefully that might solve the issue.
One more question... Since i was running way too rich would that mean that my engine is flooding? If so how, how can i fix that?
I decided to fully drain the fuel just in case water got inside the tank. Should empty the carb bowl also?

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
You didn't already try that?!?
I thought you had been through the basics by now...air spark and fuel.
YES! Try fresh fuel!
(Hope you didn't waste the cost of the coil)

Nooflyer

Jun 26, 2012
Kansas
No I did start fresh after the first time but i figured i better do it again to eliminate any further problems!
Tomo i'm gonna empty/clean the carb one more time and then give it a go.
But ultimately wait until i get the new cdi unit installed because that's my last resort. If that's not the culprit then im stumped.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I once had 2 brand new CDIs that would spark, but not run the motor - third one started it right up.

FMB42

Sep 27, 2013
Idaho
Engines (like Maniac57 and others say) need the proper air/fuel ratio, spark, and compression in order to run.

It's usually best to start with the easiest and/or most likely issues first, which would be to check the fuel; i.e. is there fuel in the tank and is the fuel valve "on"? The next easiest/most likely thing (in your case) would be to check for spark. The final check, in most cases, would be compression. Compression, of course, is best tested by use of a comp. gage. However, you can often "ball park" test comp. by "feel" (you should be able to feel a compression "bump" when you roll or peddle your bike with the clutch out (you will also feel this same "bump" through the lever on kick-start engines, while electric start engines will produce a pronounced "rhythmic slow and then fast" sound while you crank the engine).

Below are some of the common in depth "no-start" troubleshooting steps:

1. Fuel Check:

1 a: check the tank for fuel.

1 b: make sure that fuel is getting to the carb (check the fuel valve, filter and lines, etc).

1 c. make sure that the fuel is fresh (from the gas station) and that the pre-mix oil type and ratio, if applicable, are correct.

1 d. pull the plug and check to see if it's wet with fuel. If it's wet then you for sure are getting fuel (but the mixture could be too rich to start).

2. Spark Check (first make sure that no fuel has been spilled on or around the engine, etc, before doing this).

2 a. Carefully check for spark with a "spark check tool" or with the plug itself.

2 b. Try a new or "known to be good" plug if the spark test tool indicates a good spark, or if there's a weak or no-spark condition with the original spark plug.

2 c. Check the spark plug high tension wire and cap. Look for loose connections and cracks in the wire insulation and cap. Note: the factory supplied spark plug caps on some of these engines are known for being of poor quality. Many owners replace these cheap caps with a quality name brand cap whether they're working or not.

2 d. Check for loose and/or open (disconnected) magneto/CDI wires.

2 e. Check the "kill switch" (if applicable). Temporarily test for spark with the kill switch wires disconnected (note: do not ride your motorized bicycle with the kill switch disconnected. Always repair or replace any defective kill switch).

3. Compression Check Using a Proper Gage (make sure that the fuel valve is turned "off" and that the engine kill switch is in the "off/stop" position before testing compression).

3 a. Quickly spin the engine 4-5 revolutions and note the gage reading. The reading for a stock fully broken-in 66/80cc engine should probably read a minimum of 100 psi. However, many knowledgeable people on this forum have reported that their engines have considerably less compression than this (while still running fine). Others report figures that are quite a bit higher than 100 psi. Hence, there may be no real agreement on just what a compression test should indicate on these engines. Also note that many mechanics and tuners prefer to "leak-down" test the engines they work on (we performed both vacuum and pressure tests on 2 stroke engines when I was a motorcycle mechanic).

3 b. Check for loose cylinder/head nuts and studs, failed cyl. head and/or cyl. base gaskets, a damaged piston or broken/worn rings, torn and/or unseated crankcase main seals, or a failed crankcase gasket if you suspect abnormally low compression.

Note: Some, if not many, 2 stroke engines will not start while running old/stale, water contaminated, or otherwise "questionable" fuel. This is why it's often best to drain and re-fill the entire fuel system (including the carb float bowl) with fresh fuel when ever a mysterious no-start issue arises. This can be especially true with the ethanol blended fuels we have today.

If the above steps and suggestions fail to indicate a particular problem then I'd follow up with a thorough inspection of the carburetor and intake system. I'd also strongly consider crassius's sound advice (I've seen more than a few "good spark" but "no-start" problems that were solved by replacing the CDI or ignition module (pick-up).

HTH

Last edited:

Nooflyer

Jun 26, 2012
Kansas
Thanks i'll try them out. I did recently put a fresh tank of gas/oil in the tank and no start but i started at least firing a bit. I'll wait until the cdi comes in the mail to further test.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
How much oil are you mixing into the gas??

I recommend 24:1 for the first 2 gallons, & then switch to 32:1 for the life of the engine.
I prefer non-synthetic oil; & always shake it well so you won't get any oil blobs fouling the plug. ;)

Nooflyer

Jun 26, 2012
Kansas
Update!!! Got it running and i feel like a complete amateur. I've worked on mopeds and scooters for the past 5 years and never thought i would slip up.
Anyway i took off the carb and dissassembled it and i guess i never put in a main jet. OOOOppppps. Anyway as soon as i placed one in the bike started right up.
I feel dumb. but i finally got it all figured out. Thanks a whole bunch guys. Appreciate all the help.
Im going to try and put 500 miles on it before the season is over then winter project for performance mods!
@VeniceMotor
My first tank i used a 20:1 ratio but found it too oily and now i'm using 30:1 ratio until this second tank is empty. Should i use 32:1 instead? I probably have about 75 miles on the bike now.

Nooflyer

Jun 26, 2012
Kansas
Exactly lol.
Thanks guys. I've now put 40 more miles on the third tank and loving it.
I'll try to upload a pic for you guys.

Nooflyer

Jun 26, 2012
Kansas
Also i have another question.
I see members without an air filter on the carb. If i richen my needle and take off my air filter will that give me a little more speed?