eBay vs magic or smart pie kits

GoldenMotor.com

neptronix

Mar 24, 2013
Salt Lake City, UT
The magic pie can be intensely fast if you run it with an external controller and give it LOTS of volts, like 72 minimum... There are plenty of 2000W-6000W builds using it, capable of doing 30-40mph.

One suggestion though - like any hub motor, it's more powerful the smaller the wheel you put into it. A 24 inch wheel would be quick. My 20" magic pie was ludicrously pants crapping fast. But 24" doesn't give you as weird of geometry issues on a bike designed for dual 26" wheels.

The grayborg motor is very large but only fits 150mm dropouts, that could be a problem for you.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
The grayborg motor is very large but only fits 150mm dropouts, that could be a problem for you.
I'm not sure what you mean by 150mm dropouts. I'm retiring from racing and thinking about turning my Boxer into an electric if I can't find a rider for the races.
I'm not sure which would be the best route to go. A hub or external motor.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Thanks Paul,
Now I have to go into the garage and measure the trailing arm width.
After putting more thought into my conversion, I'm leaning more towards a smart pie because of the extra miles you get per charge.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i like the smart pie for the few extra miles you get per charge and the weight being less. however if i was going to retire one of my motors it would be the smart pie and keep the magic pie 3. the extra speed and the extra tourque for me was worth loosing a few extra miles i get with the smart pie.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Thanks Paul that's good to know because I live on a hill and it would be horrible if I couldn't make it home.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i only have a few mile range difference i get with the magic and smart pie motors. top speed they are within 4mph of each other however climbing hills the difference in the smart and magic pie is night and day and how fast you get to speed their is a huge difference. with the magic pie i am up over 20mph in an amazingly short distance which is part of the fun for me. i got the new 48v 15ah battery from golden motor and the distance is great. i put over 27 miles on the last charge and i live on an island that is nothing but mountains. very little flat ground. i imagine if the ground was flat i would be fantastic distance with it. 27 miles sitting on a bike is more then enough for me. you will find anywhere you go with it they will let you plug it in also. i have plugged in at beach bars and restaurants and even kmart. most places are amazed with the bike and more then happy to help out

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Here's a battery question.
First, I'm getting a Magic Pie 3 and was checking out battery packs. Will a 48v 20AH burn out the hub? Most battery packs I've seen with the kits are 10-15AH.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
AH = Amp Hours, or the size of the "tank" so to speak, no worries. Bigger is defo better as it's your range ;)

...well, there are ofc weight & size considerations, but that's up to you lol

Last edited:

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
Here's a battery question.
First, I'm getting a Magic Pie 3 and was checking out battery packs. Will a 48v 20AH burn out the hub? Most battery packs I've seen with the kits are 10-15AH.
from what I've read here, the hub will handle 48v quite effectively. If you're talking about the AH rating, that's simply how long the battery will last (amp-hours, if your motor draws 2A and you have a 20AH battery, your battery will last 10 hours before needing to be recharged). Amperage is weird compared to voltage. If you put 48v to a 24v motor, it'll use 48v (over-volting, computer overclockers do it to get more power because it's forced, an electric turbocharge if you will). but you run the risk of burning it out more quickly. If you want longevity, use the rated voltage (however this could mean the difference between a 10 year lifespan vs. a 7 year life, depending on how good the build is). If your motor says it will draw 10A and you use a battery capable of 20A, the motor will only draw 10A (it's like your water pipes, your home will only take as much as is required), however if your motor says it will draw 10A and your battery is only capable of 5A (even if it can provide 2x the voltage, therefore the battery has the same wattage), then the motor will attempt to draw 10A anyway. It wont get 10A, but your battery will strain, and you run the risk of killing the battery, and maybe even blowing it up. (that last part I'm not sure if overvolting will cause a lower ampere draw or not)

In a nutshell, when buying a battery:
More voltage = More speed
More amperage = cooler running (very slight differences above motor use)
More Amp-hours (AH) = more distance.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
all ah gives you is more distance. you can run any ah at 48v. with the 20ah it will be heavy but go a long ways between charges. mike has a 20ah battery on his motorized electric bicycle

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Yeah but the rims I use have 32 holes.
Looks like I'll be shopping around for new rims. :(
I like the rims I have on there now and was hoping to just pick up the same rim to match the front.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i will do some research find someone using 32 holes and let you know what i find out. i have the 36 whole and put 14ga stainless spokes on them and so did barelyawake and they seem to do fine. if you stay with the 32 whole and use a 12 or 13ga stainless i think you would be ok but not sure

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I did find a 3" wide rims with 36 holes. I just want to make sure I order the correct rim. Now that I know I have options. I'll wait until my kit comes in.
One question that baffles me is.....
Why do all distributors's shipping fees so expensive? You think you're getting an awesome deal until you add the $200 shipping. o_O