eBay 80cc 2 stroke kit

GoldenMotor.com

bigbird1219

Feb 24, 2011
corpus christi, tx
idk about that seller, i would rather spend a little more(if any more at all, may be the same price) on an engine kit from a more reputable dealer, like the sponsors of the site.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Note that this particular kit does not have a kill switch.
This type of kit has been discussed in the "Swap and Shop' section of this forum.
There are other vendors that offer a better product at a lower price.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
This type of kit has been discussed in the "Swap and Shop' section of this forum.
Like who? $150 shipped is pretty cheap now days.

I never have any problems buying on eBay. At least if there's a problem you have someone behind you to help get your money back. Plus the sellers don't like bad reviews so they usually try to settle claims.

When you buy direct from a vender you're on your own.

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
I'm sure there are several threads on this topic, but I couldn't find any on this exact model

Here it is: eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Thoughts/opinions? This isn't going to be a DD or anything, just a fun little weekend toy ;)

Is that kit decent?

Thanks guys
-Jeff

Thats the same kit i had, not too bad, it ran good for 2 months then on my way back from Autozone it spun its woodruff key on the crank allowing the piston to score the jug rendering the motor useless.

jaywood

Nov 5, 2011
California

Got any links to that?

I like buying from eBay. But if there's a better, cheaper kit I'll be all over it. As long as they accept paypal ;)

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Thats the same kit i had, not too bad, it ran good for 2 months then on my way back from Autozone it spun its woodruff key on the crank allowing the piston to score the jug rendering the motor useless.
I don't understand how the Woodruff key on the crankshaft could mess up the piston?

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
I don't understand how the Woodruff key on the crankshaft could mess up the piston?
Perhaps the jug was already scored? I have no idea as to the cause but its sitting in my basement as a door stop if youd like it. Just pay the shipping. drn2drn2

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Is there a difference between that link and the one I posted in the original post?

Im not the biggest fan of bidding. Id rather have a buy it now.
Not a bad price...go buy it. Especially if you want it now and don't like bidding. I wouldn't hesitate buying it. Now it's up to $142.50

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Looks like I'll be ordering the kit I posted in the original post. ;)

Anyone else have input?
I'm a firm believer..all of these kits are a crap shot, Chinese junk. With a low price they are disposable. I also feel that what you do to the engine BEFORE installing it on a bike, and proper instillation methods makes a difference in what service you will get out of one. Been burning the road up with my second instillation...4/2009.

Sep 18, 2011
Tyler Texas
Looks like I'll be ordering the kit I posted in the original post. ;)

Anyone else have input?
I got the same kit from a different vendor.
Just plan to do some work on ANY Chinese engine kit that you buy. The more you save on initial cost, the more you have left over to buy the upgrades from SBP.

Change out all the hardware. I bought the hardware kits from SBP, and can't say enough good things about them!

Have fun with your new project!
They're all a hands-on learning experience!

jaywood

Nov 5, 2011
California
What size studs did you use? Thread pitch? Did you do any other maintenance to the engine prior to installation? I.e, spark plug and spark plug wires, mill the head, etc.

Sep 18, 2011
Tyler Texas
What size studs did you use? Thread pitch? Did you do any other maintenance to the engine prior to installation? I.e, spark plug and spark plug wires, mill the head, etc.
Mine had the 8x1.25 head studs. You won't know for sure until you get yours though. Here is the size quote from SBP's web site:

"Determine the size you have: 6mm will be the same as engine mounting studs, M8-1.00 will be larger but will still have the same thread spacing when compared side by side with mount studs. Another simple way is to measure 1 cm and count the threads. 1.00 thread pitch will have 10 threads in that 1 cm, 1.25 thread pitch will have 8 threads."

I did all the usual first steps that everyone recommends, change the plug and wire, mill the head and cylinder, clean the intake and exhaust ports with a Dremel, etc. I also replaced the head gasket with one from SBP. It is about half the thickness of the stock one, and I can feel a difference in the compression.

I did the work while I had the engine apart (I had to pull it apart to measure the head studs), and was waiting for the parts from SBP to arrive. They ship very quickly though, so I only had to wait 3 days. I needed the front mount adapter for my mountain bike too, so I just ordered it with the head studs and engine hardware kit.

My original CDI was junk, and I bought a replacement from LEB for $10. I'll be making up a few of my own soon though.

Like I said, I just did the usual stuff that is recommended by most of the experts here.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Perhaps the jug was already scored? I have no idea as to the cause but its sitting in my basement as a door stop if youd like it. Just pay the shipping. drn2drn2
These motors fit into a USPS Large Flat rate box that ships for about $15. I would be glad to paypal over the $$ for shipping so you can get that door stop out of your basement.
If I were you I would just buy a top end for $37 delivered and fix it though... If you send it to me I might just use it for parts, or I may fix it and give it to a friend who always wanted a motor but is poor and can't afford it....