Do I need a better CDI ???

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Over 15,000 miles & counting and I've never had any CDI problems whatsoever.

The only possible issues with the stock units are poor quality control and/or improper installation - in both cases the only problem that would be caused is the motor wouldn't run.

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
I read this too, and I can see the logic behind it. The CDIs that come with the kits are really basic and are more suited to a 4-stroke. They don't retard the timing after a certain RPM, which is what should ideally happen on a two-stroke. The timing just continues to advance linearly as the RPM increases. This can cause the engine to run hot, and it can cause excessive force on the connecting rod bearings. With a stock HT, I doubt it would be enough to cause damage. With a high-compression head, maybe.

I have 1700 miles on my engine, and when I recently rebuilt the bottom end to replace a bearing that was going bad on the right side of the crankshaft, I checked the connecting rod lower and upper bearings and they were both fine. I had sanded the ring off my head, used thinner upper and lower gaskets, and contouered the head to fit the piston, and I get pretty high compression, but never had issues with the stock CDI except for the engine running hot. I would like to get a better CDI to see if there is any performance gain or if it runs smoother.

So no, I don't think it destroys the motors, but I do think it's a little harder on them than it could be. It seems a few two stroke scooters and mopeds also use CDIs with fixed timing, so I don't think the HTs are the only engines that have cheap CDIs like this.

Edit: The bearing that had failed was not related to the CDI or any sort of *damage*, it was a bad bearing from the beginning that just kept getting worse until I decided to replace it.

Last edited:

kavid2012

May 3, 2012
Brentwood, Tennessee
thanks for good infos folks,
I thought stock CDI isn't that bad.
I rode mine about 1000 miles so far and my engine is running fine.
though as pilotgeek mentioned my engine runs little hot (maximum head temperature goes up to 475F. I think it will pass 500F if i ride uphill for long time. It never have reached over 500F yet since there isn't big mountain around where i live)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
75 dollars for a cdi?!? Are you joking?

I read some of the reviews on that site, kinda funny. "My bike now goes 45 mph." No, it doesn't.

"I don't know **** about shinola when it comes to engines, but I know mine runs GREAT now."

Blah blah blah.

Might as well get a boost bottle or two while your at it. ;)