derringer cycles

GoldenMotor.com

Home-made J

Sep 16, 2008
Santa Cruz, CA
Re: Who is this guy trying to kid?

what a tool....If you go to the site, they show a HT motor on the bike, but if you check the specs page, they say its a Honda 4-stroke! And there are pics of both! BIG difference between the motors, but even if it was a reeded moto-morini 9hp engine, it still wouldn't be worth it.

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston

It is funny ad though, Tires made without the use of carbon black, that makes the green people happy, might as well say with out processed sugar. I love this ad. it makes me feel like a genus for building these bikes. My bike has no fat added and no animals were harmed in the production. It is a cross between a 55gal drum and a schwinn having the best of both, and you can buy my bike at only $2499.99. If you buy before christmas. $3.00 will be given to help paper boys displaced by e-news. And as a added bonus the tires will be filled with recycled air from used Hummer tires, or heluim which will make the bike lighter thus saving even more gas. This a one of a kind and no other will be made like this at that price. So act now.

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca

Who's the idiot? The person providing or the person buying. It doesn't really matter. If people buy, they have done something right to have that kind of money. What their buying may not be worth that, but they don't care. Some of the people that bought the bikes are people that we pay to go see or hear. It's a vicious cycle of money. I'll stick to my builds however. Mine are worth more than what their selling because of the blood, sweat, and tears I've put into them. I'm sure some here feel the same way.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA

What is that motor? It looks like a China Girl from right but the cover on the left side is different than any I've seen before. I noticed that nowhere in the description did they mention it was 2-stroke. I think the lesson you can take from this is that P. T. Barnum was right!

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca

The motor is a chinese motor painted. He adds a different cover plate to his engines. The gas tank is NOS General 5 Star Moped gas tank. The paint job is a very nice and adds a great overall look to the bike. However, the frame is drilled, he uses the standard sprocket mount, and only comes with a coaster brake. The average person wouldn't be looking at these.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity

The front drum is good, the rear sprocket/coaster is crap. The Brooks Saddle is nice. Some of the tires are cool and some cool accessories. Pretty and stylish but they really can't be daily rides. Stock tensioner works fine but shouldn't be on a machine w/ a finish like that. The place makin' the Felt cruisers who's name eludes me right now makes a more refined, stout, reliable looking machine. Ridleys that's it! Those too are too expensive in my opinion but a way better value "to most mb'ers". Derringers customers aren't mb'ers.

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia

The guy is not selling a motorized bicycle. He's selling a work of art. Sometimes it's not the cost of the materials and labor that has been put into it. Sometimes, it's technology, sometimes it's aesthetic value, sometimes it's heritage value or whatever. He's selling something that is more than a motorized bicycle, and that is what those people buy. Maybe that's why those people are not members of this forum... :) :crash: :ride:

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest

OMG....he got some ink in Vanity.....that's gotta explain the pricing stucture.
If he had just called it somehing like Monolo Bicycletta he'd prolly sell them like hot cakes. Ya know...get a photo of some one like Sophia Loren standing beside it at the French Rivera and all to make it look shiek. rotfl

Perhaps if he offered it with a tennis bracelet inspired by the bike's styling and
came up with a unique little bottle of skin perfume...........as throw in's. Even if he only sold a few dozen of them.....you know those wealthy guys wives would buy one to show up at an event with it and then give it to charity for a donation receipt for what she paid for it so hubby could write it off his taxes. Gasp !

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now

The guy is not selling a motorized bicycle. He's selling a work of art. Sometimes it's not the cost of the materials and labor that has been put into it. Sometimes, it's technology, sometimes it's aesthetic value, sometimes it's heritage value or whatever. He's selling something that is more than a motorized bicycle, and that is what those people buy. Maybe that's why those people are not members of this forum... :) :crash: :ride:

I need to find "those people" and build bikes for them.

My works of art can be had for the same price, and I will deliver and demo the bike too! (continental U.S. only please.)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now

P.S., beauty must be in the eye of the beholder, 'cause that bike looks like it was fairly cobbled together to me.

At least they got the chain tension right.....

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO

That motor is definitely a 4-stroke. Just look at the cylinder and mount. The grayed pictures with the measurements show a 2 stroke though.

It's really interesting that some of the cheap stuff is still on there, like the tensioner and sprocket. I'd be pretty ticked if I paid $2500 for a MB and it had crappy parts like that on it....especially when they break.

I think this is one of those legitimate times to say "Why not just get a motorcycle." If you're going to build it yourself, different story.

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx

what a tool....If you go to the site, they show a HT motor on the bike, but if you check the specs page, they say its a Honda 4-stroke! And there are pics of both! BIG difference between the motors, but even if it was a reeded moto-morini 9hp engine, it still wouldn't be worth it.
From a quick glance at the engine in looks like a 4-stroke kit minus the plastic cover. The tank looks like it came off a small mid 70's jap bike. Like one of the smaller CB models cb350 or 175. The frame is nothing special. He's got thicker spoked wheels and a drum in the front. Generic bars flipped upside down. I don't know if everything that's green is a result of powdercoating or if it's a **** load of paint. Being generous, I figure it took the guy about 600.00 to build. Maybe I'm wrong. If the green is powdercoat then yeah, it'd be more.

In my opinion, the seller was a sucker for paying 3500.00 initially and there's no way in **** that he's going to get 2500.00 out of it when just about anyone can look at the bike, and make a carbon copy of it out of reworked used parts for much less.

But hey what do I know about an "Object d'art." Who uses that phrase anyway...maybe it's folks who grossly overpay for something we can build next to nothing.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com

P.S., beauty must be in the eye of the beholder, 'cause that bike looks like it was fairly cobbled together to me.

At least they got the chain tension right.....
You got it Joe rotfl

This bike is fantastically mundane. After looking at the site and reading the claim "world renowned Industrial designer"...I could feel the, chilly, fog-like smoke creeping into this room surrounded by mirrors. There were little tables with small cups of tofu surrounding the bike.

I've worked with a lot of Industrial designers...within a few days the guys I've worked with would have handed me a 1" thick 11 X 17 tablet full of sketches for me to "make happen".

I think a lot more time went into eating Tofu, and drinking latte's than went into the design of this bike.:D

Jim

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx

I wonder if they installed wider pedals so they won't scrape against the side of the engine that isn't green. I rode a bike with an engine like this and if you don't have wider pedals, they scrape.

roachhill

Aug 14, 2008
bacikwoods of northern PA

I saw this bike featured on a tv show on that new enviromentalist channel. I guess if you live around Hollywierd and get the tv to tell the plastic people to buy you can charge as much as you want. Ad was funny though "revolutiomary" how is it anymore revolutionary transportation than a '6o Honda step through moped or a 1903 Indian single in a pedal frame for that matter. Even Ducati started as a clip on motor for your peddal bike. The idea is as old as motors themselves.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO

hahaha. I dunno about dog doo. It is a nice lookin bike. But for the price, there is some awfully cheap equipment on there.

AlphaLlama

Sep 23, 2008
Stockton, Cali

If your going to shell out the big bucks for a Derringer, you might as well spend the money for a quality helmet that is also a genuine piece of fine art.
We have just finished extensive feild studies and are now proud to announce
our newest product the "John Wesley Harding Helmet"
We are offering these to members of this forum first and at only $399.99.
You will want to be the first on your block to have one. So don't delay!
Remeber this is a piece of shi.. I mean art so it's value as a collectable goes
without saying.

Attachments

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com

If your going to shell out the big bucks for a Derringer, you might as well spend the money for a quality helmet that is also a genuine piece of fine art.
We have just finished extensive feild studies and are now proud to announce
our newest product the "John Wesley Harding Helmet"
We are offering these to members of this forum first and at only $399.99.
You will want to be the first on your block to have one. So don't delay!
Remeber this is a piece of shi.. I mean art so it's value as a collectable goes
without saying.
Good one dude, now all you have to do is get Paris Hilton to wear it for a photo shot and you'll make MILLIONS rotfl

Jim