derringer cycles

GoldenMotor.com

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I will stick to my rat bikes . They may be ugly but I have the bugs ran out of them. I use them as a only source of trans port even tho I got three perfectly covered wagons [ cars LOL] The motor bike is too much fun. At 3,500 THE FUN WOULD BE GONE!!

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
Well, there is one and only one Houghmade '71' and to me, that's worth a whole lot more than $3,500.

...and mine is getting a full lighting system including turn signals, brake/tail and headlight, unlike the Derringer. It has twin leather cases for saddlebags, like a Brough Superior...and unlike the Derringer. Its getting a spring loaded tensioner, unlike the Derringer. ...and on and on. Yep, worth more than that $3,500 to me. Of course if I figured the cost of my time like I charge my clients, I'd have a whole lot more than $3,500 into it.

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
That sure looks like a Happy Time/China Girl engine to me. If Honda made these engines, we would know about it. Someone on the forum would find out and tell everyone. That brings up a credibility and trust issue with this company. If they are telling you that these engines are Honda, they are lying to you.
those are four strokes. I have one. Not an overhyped, overpriced Derringer. But the kit. It's 50cc and should get about the same milage as a 2 stroke. The deal with these engines is that they are pretty tall, and definitely wider than a 2 stroke. Due to their width, you have to use an offset crank. One was included in the kit I bought. I bought it at cost for 150.00 from a bike shop here in ATX. They're pretty much a small honda engine I guess. The cool thing about them is that they use a cetrifugal clutch and all the electic components are on the engine behind pull start cover. I don't know how well they perform or how long they last as I have not run it yet. These egines sit on a sliding plate that mounts between the seatpost and the down tube. This mount is adjustable up to about two inches on each side, maybe more. It uses the same chain, sprocket, throttle and kill switch as the 2 stroke kits. You can basically build one of these kits by buying the parts off of Dax's site. I'm not sure where you can buy one of these as a complete kit online. Being 4 strokes, they use gas and plain old 30 weight motor oil. The oil plug is on the back side of the engine, underneath the carburator. Replacement parts can be found on Dax's site.

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
So I myspaced the dude. He justified the cost, with insurance, lease for the store, warehouse, workers comp and so on. Mind you this guy is in Cali and from what I understand about their laws...well I'm glad to be in Tejas.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
Here is the kit that Derringer uses on the 4 strokes. Add a Honda engine, and you have the same drive setup. That's what I have...and i got it before I even heard of Derringer.

49cc Mounting Kit Only - $219.99

The engine can be sourced from Small Engine Warehouse. I got mine without a tank for $210, but I have not seen that exact version for a while. They currently have an engine for $260 with the tank- same basic engine (Honda GXH50).

lobsterboyx

Dec 20, 2008
Los Angeles
heres something to make you all feel a better:

i was driving to my pick up my girlfriend who lives in a nicer area of la called montrose. its a nice area. i see someone on a red motorbike speeding along a long winding road, as i get closer, i realize its a derringer.

i pulled up next to him and pulled out my stupid card and said "hey, thats a great motorbike! did you build it?"

he just looked at me and said nothing.

not only are the people who buy these things stupid, but they are too.

Last edited by a moderator:

rockvoice

Apr 6, 2009
glendale california
That's funny, i live near Montrose and a few saturdays ago i went to the bank in montrose on my MB and when i came out two guys where waiting for me to ask about my bike.
he asked if it was a Derringer and how much it cost, I told him it was not (Cant you see the schwinn plate on front) and it was built for $400. his buddy cringed ( i find out he just shelled out $3600 for a Derringer) now i think it was probably the same guy you saw.

lobsterboyx

Dec 20, 2008
Los Angeles
That's funny, i live near Montrose and a few saturdays ago i went to the bank in montrose on my MB and when i came out two guys where waiting for me to ask about my bike.
he asked if it was a Derringer and how much it cost, I told him it was not (Cant you see the schwinn plate on front) and it was built for $400. his buddy cringed ( i find out he just shelled out $3600 for a Derringer) now i think it was probably the same guy you saw.
we should roll around spreading the gospel that they shouldent cost 3500 bucks. although my whizzer should have cost me 1500 bucks

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
we should roll around spreading the gospel that they shouldent cost 3500 bucks. although my whizzer should have cost me 1500 bucks
Word to that. I've been spreading the gospel of Chengine love around ATX now for about 2 years. Funny thing is that I see more folks riding around on them. I can guarantee that they did not spend what Derringer is selling them for. In fact, there's a business here that sells the kits for around 250.00 the last I checked and in my opinion, that's too beaucoup, but of course, there's the overhead they have to cover. I'll stick with Dax or Craigslist.

Jul 8, 2009
My Garage
Anyone ever see those bags? I could use a set. I would call the guy but I suspect I could not offored anything in that shop. LOL Have fun, Dave

This site was posted here on another thread, they have these bags,.....$175.00 ? Bags, Panniers, and Baskets

You may want to check out some Military Surplus suppliers for some cheap bags that would suit your needs. German, Czech, or Swiss have some nice looking canvas bags with leather straps.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Thanks BTR that is a nice site. I found bars and fenders and I like the panners. Have fun, Dave

This site was posted here on another thread, they have these bags,.....$175.00 ? Bags, Panniers, and Baskets

You may want to check out some Military Surplus suppliers for some cheap bags that would suit your needs. German, Czech, or Swiss have some nice looking canvas bags with leather straps.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Morning Fellows from the blue ridge mountains,

I must say his rides look very good, he is one of the few who has made motorized bicycling his bread and butter, he sells a lifestyle and is starting to sell to Europe via KLM airlines. Regardless of his fancy PR campaign, he makes the world of motor bicycling look good / clean , we might not agree as to his prices or methods of sales or construction ...but he has done more in exposing motorized bicycles to the rest of the world than most of us...there are incredible builders out there and here . But i feel if we only build one off's and as a community we do not start building more US made universal parts...we shall remain only hobbyists . no disrespect to all readers.
You make this guy sound like he's the 'ambassador' of motorized bicycles... He's really not that good!
His shop is only a few miles from me & I've been there... His bikes are painted very nice & those tanks make them very distinctive, But the truth is, most of the bikes I've seen on this website are as good, (if not better) than his!!

As far as 'PR & exposing' bikes to the world, I think Spooky Tooth is bigger (& better) than him!

Derringer is selling 'a life style', The rest of us are selling bikes!! ;)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Riding a motorcycles and working on them was a earned lifestyle.....but just look at the Ipod and Mac generation newbies just buy a lifestyle nowdays.....sad but true. I am not here to upset anyone just to learn and build....i am out of this............sorry i offended anyone
Speaking for my self only, You made some good points. Although I would prefer and expect that MBs will never really catch on in the main stream world. I enjoy the uniqueness of it all. My thought on his prices has been stated. Any thing is worth what some one will pay for it and his overhead is a whole lot more then my garage and horse trailer/shop. An added bonus is his prices make mine look goood, lol But truth be told, his bikes also look a lot better.

On the cultural perceptions, kind of funny. I showed a friend in Holland a vid of my bikes. She laughed at me and said "Only old people ride those here" Cracked me up. I had a neighbor ask if I wasn't to old to be ridding those things?

usflg

cycles

Feb 24, 2009
L.A.
I've been riding a Derringer for about one year and six months. I only had so many problems, and they where small. If one thing I notice is that people who are talking about that bike don't have one!!! I would never talk about something i know nothing of. I put 12 to 14 miles everyday. And still rolling strong! I love what that bike has done for me!!!

Reactions: Jeffh

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I've been riding a Derringer for about one year and six months. I only had so many problems, and they where small. If one thing I notice is that people who are talking about that bike don't have one!!! I would never talk about something i know nothing of. I put 12 to 14 miles everyday. And still rolling strong! I love what that bike has done for me!!!
Are you the person who owns Derringer? Or are you affiliated with them in any way??

I've noticed that you've only made three posts over the past 1-1/2 years, & they're only about Derringer on this thread.

cycles

Feb 24, 2009
L.A.
if there's anyone out there who has a derringer get at me. i want to put a derringer ride together. .shft.