Deacon's bike build

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
One of the neat things about buying junk bikes and rebuilding them is the mix and match process. The luggage rack on the bike above now happily resides on my T'ville chopper. The bike is for errands so the more space I have to carry things the better.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Deacon
If you do it in camo do a real tree thing use leaves and grass blades as stencils for your paint . Name it Sargent Rock easy Co.
Your gettin into this bike building thing good for you keeps you busy and your mind working.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Okay I switched out the front wheel for the repacked one I did. Then I cleanup up a coaster brake wheel and fitted it to the back. Since I stole the rear tank idea, I'm going on with the preparations of this bike as if there will be a gasoline motor. at least I am for now. My next concern is that muffler I'm afraid that if I mount the motor that high, it will come on on my foot. lol...

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I got to messin' with the 3speed that I had converted to a coaster. I tried to ride it and found that the thing was hard to control. I took it in and turned it over. When I set the front wheel in motion, I found that it wasn't true. I got it true except for one spot. the more I messed with it the more I became convinced that the rim is bent. It kind of bulges as it turns.

I had dropped in a 24" front wheel to give it a kind of swept down front. Looking for a in motion look when standing still. Well that is gone since I don't have a 24" wheel except for the one with the bent rim. I stuck a 26 inch wheel back on it and trued the wheel up.

It now is an old three speed turned into an old coaster lol. I plan to use the front hand brake on it or go back and use the hand lever as a clutch lever on my next gasoline bike build. The gear shifter will probably become the throttle for the gas bike.

So it turns out that most of it will find it's way into a bike again. All except for those skinny wheels.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have decided to use a weed eater motor and build my own friction drive unit. Somebody give me a clue or two please lol. Could I buy a vowel...

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Use a centrifugal clutch and chain to drive your roller for some reduction...you have some experience with the roller aspect of it.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Im thinking roller on the shaft yes. Make it interchangeable then i can adjust the size of the roller to get the speed I want. I think I can mount it to the bike the same as an electric. I saw a complete reconditioned weed eater for 50 bucks but I don't know what the cc's was i didn't know enough to get the model of the weed eater.

I have a bid on 31cc on ebay now I wish I hadn't bothered I could have just bought the one here. Anyway I'm going to check it out. I'm sure I'm going to have a lot of questions as I go along. So expect to hear from me as I go.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Joe Let me ask you something. Am I remembering right? The size of the wheel makes no difference in the speed of the bike with a friction drive. Since the friction roller moves the wheel the same distance no matter what size Is that not right. The bike wheel im talking about not the drive wheel on the bike engine

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Joe Let me ask you something. Am I remembering right? The size of the wheel makes no difference in the speed of the bike with a friction drive. Since the friction roller moves the wheel the same distance no matter what size Is that not right. The bike wheel im talking about not the drive wheel on the bike engine
Well, not quite.

For a given roller size, the smaller the driven wheel gets, the faster it will turn.

However, if that driven wheel is also the drive wheel, then the smaller wheel will produce less ground speed.

So, yeah, sort.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I guess I'm just gonna have to try it to see what the difference is in real time. I think it might be easier to mount the engine if I use the 20" wheel on the bike. I hope that I can work it out so I can vary the size of the friction drive wheels to increase or decrease the speed. I was able to do that no problem on the electric ones. I hope I can use the same method of attaching the friction wheels to the centrifugal clutch

It would give me a lot of fork from the seat to the wheel to play with. Also keep the engine down low for better bike balance and stability. I notice on the china girl bike that the cross winds are very destabilizing. I expect with a high mounted friction drive they would be even worse.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I guess I need to start a new thread in the bike contest since this bike is going to be going to the motor phase soon.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
This is probably the last entry of this thread since the bike is more or less ready for an engine.

I started with a lightweight 3speed bike. I removed the front brake and both wheels. I had to go with coaster rear wheel and wider front wheel for stability. I replaced the chain ring with a smaller one to make it easier to start going uphill. I added a coaster brake rear wheel. I repacked the crank bearing and I had previous repacked the front wheel.

I decided to make it a little more colorful so I repainted the frame. Only one coat so far it will need more. So it is not ready for an engine. I have one bought on ebay and when it arrives I will have to make it work then somehow attach it to the bike. It is a weed wacker engine and will have to be friction since the bike frame is all wrong for a china girl engine.

I will see if I can get one of the mods to move this to the bike contest section now.

Before image.

in progress at this time

I know it looked better before lol

It has been a wet miserable day and the bike matches the weather lol...

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Deacon man you got to break down and buy yourself a wire feed welder you could become famous for custom motorized bicycles it won't take you long to learn how to weld being retired you could get lots of practice and even help out your friends when they need something fixed. You have hidden talents that you need to tap into. You know what I mean?!(^)
Norman.

If you can find an engine with bearing on both sides of the crank it will work better for what you want to do. A single bearing engine will have a huge force put on it single bearing when used like you are going to do. I might suggest a friction roller at least 1" in dia. and use a hinge to engage and disengage the engine with a lever in front of you. Just some BS for you to think about. good luck on your bike.(^)
Norman

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
norman,

Read the thread on weekwacker engines. I'm thinking to just leave it engages most of the time. I might put a cable on the choke and just ride it turned on and turned off. And yeah I hope it has bearing or at least bushings on both sides. Those things are pretty light and I think I'm going to go with a spring without too much tension at first.

My electric bike rollers were like an inch or 1 1/4 pvc joints which would be a quarter inch larger in diameter. The work pretty well and since they are smooth I think they have less wear on the tire. However if they won't pull my fat butt up a small hill, then I go for the rasp kind and let the chips and rubber fly lol...

Actually I was well satisfied with the electric power just the lack of range made me nuts.

And yes I need a welder even though My next door neighbor has one. I will bolt everything up and slide down to his place and con him into welding it for me. I got the 20" wheel on the project bike. So I'm just waiting for the engine.

Last edited: