Dax Titan GT50?

GoldenMotor.com

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
I can't find any information on this motor. Has anyone ever used it? Can it be installed just like a china girl is?
I'm trying to figure out if this or a pocket bike motor would be a good upgrade to the basic china girl. This titan looks real nice.. I think. I'd really like to make it a kick start instead of pull start though.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Why don't you guys just call Duane, thatsdax, and ask him? 303-459-2780.
He's very good about answering questions about his products.
Tom

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
He didn't really say much. I didn't want to bother him further though as he seems like a busy man.
The pictures show the motor with carb and exhaust but nothing over the clutch. How would one make this motor have a sprocket to drive a chain?

Edit: I learned you got to get a transmission for it. For those wondering, I was told to get this: 3:1 reduction Gear Box with shallow PTO shaft

Last edited:

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
I'm running that engine. I haven't had much of a chance to get the carb dialed in perfectly, but it does seem to work quite well. It's easiest to purchase Duane's friction mount kit since it comes with all of the hardware that you need to rack-mount the engine. Another alternative is to use his rear mount chain-drive kit.

The only depressing part of the whole thing is that the engine only has a centrifugal clutch (somewhat boring if you have fun riding with a standard clutch).

By the way, Duane went through pain-staking trouble to get the engine working well for me. His service is simply amazing.

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
Aah a rear chain drive. That could be great atleast temporarily to have a quality engine. can you compare the china girl at all to this engine performance wise?
Built in CC is a blessing in some peoples eyes though :) although I do like the standard clutch thing too. Im bringing all my business to him and sick bike parts in the future. Maybe I can put ina Request for a inframe kit for that engine. atleast mounting kit

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
Aah a rear chain drive. That could be great atleast temporarily to have a quality engine. can you compare the china girl at all to this engine performance wise?
Built in CC is a blessing in some peoples eyes though :) although I do like the standard clutch thing too. Im bringing all my business to him and sick bike parts in the future. Maybe I can put ina Request for a inframe kit for that engine. atleast mounting kit
The last time I checked, an in-frame mounting kit wasn't available due to space constraints (I believe).

The gt50, when working well has about 2x the hp of a stock china girl, however the friction drive has some efficiency losses over a chain so I can't compare both platforms directly. The GT50 should be able to hit a max of around 40 mph.

Oddly enough, I have had far more problems getting my GT50 up and running than my china girl. Initially, I had carburetor problems, then I had trouble with the clutch. I can't say whether these are common issues, however Duane did everything he could to correct the situation.

GEJoe

Mar 30, 2011
Tennessee
I bought a Dax GT50R last spring. Did not like the friction drive, as it made a mess what with tire crumbs and grit slung everywhere. Upgraded to rear chain drive. Engine seized and scored from using Opti-2 at recommended mix. When I run it again this spring, I will follow Duane's recommendation of Valvoline at 20:1.

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
I have that engine. Recently I broke a bearing at the crankshaft and did my research. I cam with a result that I am so lucky (meaning it is so rare for it to happen lol) because no one else had that problem. I was running my engine hard and it has about 50 hours on it.
I know people that put thousands of miles on their GT50 without problems.

I built my own inframe mount and it feels great.
All together I spent about $400 to get the engine all set up.

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
I have that engine. Recently I broke a bearing at the crankshaft and did my research. I cam with a result that I am so lucky (meaning it is so rare for it to happen lol) because no one else had that problem. I was running my engine hard and it has about 50 hours on it.
I know people that put thousands of miles on their GT50 without problems.

I built my own inframe mount and it feels great.
All together I spent about $400 to get the engine all set up.
Do you have any pictures of your mount? I was thinking of making it out of wood first and then using that piece of wood I guess as a stencil to drill out a metal piece. Or take to a machine shop depending on their prices.

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
Haha no. The engine mounts were not as difficult to make. Coming up with a design that will work was the most difficult part. You also need to drill the holes very accurately which I was able to do on my first attempted using a caliper and scratching the center points.