Compatability question

GoldenMotor.com

CrueDogLewcifer

Jul 24, 2022
Reactions: fasteddy

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
It's best to start with a simple mountain bike or beach cruiser as a first build, they have plenty of frame room and clearance issues are not a problem, there have been many new to the hobby that gave up because they choose a bike that required a lot of engineering.

CrueDogLewcifer

Jul 24, 2022
It's best to start with a simple mountain bike or beach cruiser as a first build, they have plenty of frame room and clearance issues are not a problem, there have been many new to the hobby that gave up because they choose a bike that required a lot of engineering.
any recommendations on a good cruiser that will be easy to work on with disk brakes if possible?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I’m not the person to answer that, all of the bikes I’ve built have used coaster or rim brakes. Norm a member here is the owner of Venice motorbikes, he has been building bikes for a long time, he’s the member with the answers.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I always recommend finding an old school USA made Schwinn cruiser from the 1970s!
They're plentiful, & still affordable; they're tough as nails, & already have heavy duty wheels.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
You are in for a ton of engineering motorizing a fat tire bike. Leave that for build number 10 or higher. For a first build you need a Huffy Cranbrook or better yet an older steel beach cruiser with heavy duty wheels if you can find and afford a good one. Put front and rear caliper brakes with a single lever that pulls dual brakes and keep the speed reasonable. Then you have something that will actually work and go down the road under it's own power while you learn all the complexities of the hobby and what you want to do next.