Committing forgery: A Faux Rudge Autocycle build.

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Sorry you're not feeling well. I look forward to seeing more of this bike as it develops, but don't push yourself on our account. I have faith that a Rudge Replica will be running real soon. I'll have to check back on this thread from time to time.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Interesting so far.

And it looks as though you are going to accomplish the 'step through' style quite well.

I was going to suggest the you tell that doctor to go jump in a lake. But it sounds as though the fatigue she fears is real. So I guess you'd better listen to her.

But only one hour per day? That hurts. Some cheating is going to be necessary.
Sorry you're not feeling well. I look forward to seeing more of this bike as it develops, but don't push yourself on our account. I have faith that a Rudge Replica will be running real soon. I'll have to check back on this thread from time to time.
Thanks Allen and BGW :) It must be more than two years ago since I first tried to get that China Girl engine into a Mixte frame. Then when Mum started to develop dementia and needed a lot of care I parked the bike up in the garage and over time it disappeared under piles of cardboard boxes and other junk.
Now that it's been liberated I want to complete it properly because it's definitely going to make my life easier now that I'm finding it more difficult to get around on my beloved old pedal powered bicycles.
It's a good project too because most of the work needing doing is fairly light and I really do need to have something constructive to do in order to keep my hands and brain working. My cyclecar/velocar build is on hold at the moment because that involves much more heavy work and metal bashing which I can't do very much of at present.

Depending on what I'm doing I can stretch the one hour limit a little. If I'm doing light adjustments and easy trial part fitting I can potter on quite safely. Unfortunately with having had CFS/ME for a good many years now I know all too well what will happen if I push on and try to do too much. It's an awkward illness to manage because it's important to maintain a level of daily exercise, but on the other hand doing too much will bring on the worst of the symptoms with a vengeance. Do nothing and the illness will quite happily steal away the capacity to do anything much at all. So it's essential to keep pushing against it, but without overdoing it in order to have any sort of life at all. Of course now that I'm getting older I don't have quite the same level of 'bounce back' that I used to have with overcoming relapses which means I really do have to pay attention to my activity levels if I want to avoid getting unwell.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Intrepid,
Your build is coming along so nicely...

The gas tank behind the seat might also look good lengthwise rather than crosswise. Might try it for a comparative stare.

I also found it interesting that you were able to fit the Villiars carb onto the China Girl engine which does a lot to giveit a more vintage flavor. It was of special interest because my Villiars engine has a leaky carb which may or may not respond to a repair kit (which you gave me the link to). I have not yet ordered it, but will before spring has come. At least I know that if the repair does not solve the problem then I can use a china girl carb as a substitute until such time that I can locate a vintage Villiars carb should I need it.

Your mention of spanners earlier brought back memories of my first real attempts at doing mechanical work. I had owned a couple of cars before and did things like spark plugs and oil changes, but no real repair work. My oldest brother found himself the owner of a 1951 (maybe 52) MGTD which was not running and needed a good bit a tender loving care. Someone owed him money, was leaving the area and settled the debt the the MG. Being a British sports car he was not at all interested in it and asked me if I wanted it. His interest was fast cars with big motors. My favorite until then had been an Austin Healy 3000 roadster, a car I still sometimes have dreams about five decades later.

I looked at the radiator which was reminiscent of a model A Ford, long sweeping front fenders, leather seats with the steering on the wrong side and said "Yes"! The first thing I did was go the the MG dealership in Baltimore and purchase an original shop manual. I studied it and got familiar with differences in terminology, with things like "boot" instead of trunk, "bonnet" instead of hood, etc. The first thing straightened out was the wiring harness which was all loose and had to be re-wired. With patience, that got sorted out and I got it the engine to run after that... woohoo!

Next up before getting it licensed and tagged was to repair the front brakes. I ordered repair kits and turned to the manual to follow the directions. First problem was that I needed certain sized spanners, I didn't have a lot of tools, pretty much just the standard home owner stuff of screwdrivers, sockets and wrenches, but no spanners. I couldn't even find a picture of spanners. I tried calling several auto supply places and asked about purchasing spanners and nobody knew what I was talking about. Great! I was guessing that I'd have to have these specialized tools sent from England and who knew what that would cost and how long it would take to get them!

I studied the manual some more and also stared at the brake parts and got to wondering why I couldn't maybe use a couple of wrenches instead and kind of fudge it. Worth a try. Of course it worked and later on I discovered that spanner is British for wrench. What a dummy. Eventually I had had a set of the right wrenches in Whitworth sizes and a set of sockets as well.

I loved that MG and drove it to work for several years before blowing the engine. Replaced it with an MGA engine and drove it some more which led to a second MGTD restoration and what has become a lasting interest in things mechanical. Anyway, that's my spanner story.

Your bike is looking real nice, a step through to another time in motor bicycling.
SB

Last edited:

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Thank you very much for finding the Rhonsonette link for me. And what a lovely cyclemotor it is too :)
You know it wouldn't be that difficult to modify a Mixte frame into a copy of a Rhonsonette frame. I have got another Mixte frame, only it's fitted with that Shimano freewheel on the chainwheel system that was popular for a time back in the 1980's and I'm not sure how it would hold up with motorising.
Still I can think about that once I've completed the faux Rudge and have it running nicely.

Then on the other hand the local supplier I usually deal with has 48cc China Girl kits for $NZ180.00 at the moment......... hum......

Thank you Moto, I think it will turn out to be a really nice bike too.
Now I'm wondering if I'm going to start a new fashion and suddenly Mixte framed bikes will become an endangered species :D

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
I loved your spanner story Silverbear. Us lot in the old British colonies tend to call an 'F' shaped adjustable spanner a 'wrench' (see picture), though mostly when of the 'Crescent' adjustable spanner type they get called a 'Crescent' whatever the actual brand or else a 'shifting spanner'.
When New Zealand changed over to the metric system all the old Imperial sized tools very quickly disappeared from hardware stores and tool dealers. AF sized spanners and sockets lingered on the longest, but now are pretty much a special order item. Nearly all my BSW and BSF spanners are junk shop finds, but there's nothing wrong with the quality of these old tools with brand names out of another era.

Yes I think that Villiers petrol tank is going to get tried around a few different locations and orientations before I completely make up my mind, but that's all part of the building fun. :)
I do wonder how well a China Girl carby might work fitted to a Villiers. It might just make the old girl pick up her skirts and really take off :D
I found a possible good source for Villiers carbs by the way, - I'll PM you the details.

Attachments

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Looked at possible petrol tank positions tonight. The voting was not good for the placement in the two photos.

I'll have a look at some ways of mounting the tank on or under the luggage rack tomorrow. Having a rear mounted petrol tank would make it a lot easier when it comes to making the shielding over the engine.

Attachments

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Why not crossways? It's been done before and is totally in keeping with the style.

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I have to keep a closer watch on this, I realy what you are doing,and the bike.

I had to laugh when you said the daughter may have some of your tools. I had 4 sons needless to say i was always looking and buying new tools. Pliers and screw drivers were the big thing,just never could find one...............Curt

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Ludwig, that Terrot is interesting, You are quite right about the petrol tank, - I'm going to have a further play about with it later today and see what I can come up with.

Thanks Curt :) Strange it's screwdrivers and pliers that I can never find too :confused:
The joys of having a mechanically minded daughter.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I'd check the boot on her car when she comes home. My son worked for an auto dismantler at one time and had a Snap On tool box full of their tools . He came out of the garage where he worked and I had 4 drawers open looking the tools over.
He let a screech out of him and ran over and slammed the drawers shut and locked his tool box up. I told him that I was thinking that he might want to replace the tools of mine that he took and never brought back.

I was coldly informed that my tools were only Sears and his were Snap On. Found myself forced to inform him that I had no trouble trading up. He went back into the garage and I went home.

Steve.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Back to the tank, if you can lay hands on one of those heathen Chinee ones, it should sit very well on the two tubes.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Hang on, a thought has limped brokenly across the tarnished silver screen of my mind.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I'm thinking that if you can meet him or someone in his circle, then the petrolhead mafia will probably help you out. There are some French mopeds in the collection, there might be a tank for between the front tubes kicking about somewhere.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Feeling a lot more well today so I pottered about for a bit longer. Spent some time sorting tools and checking out what raw material I have stored away. I found a 1/4 sheet of 20 gauge galvanised steel and a slightly smaller piece of 18 gauge galvanised steel sheet. I also found where I'd put the large pieces of brass and copper sheet that I knew I'd brought with me when I moved here eight years ago.
Now if I have to I can make myself a petrol tank and use some of those skill my Dad taught to his little girl :)

At the moment though the Villiers tank looks like it will work out just fine, so the tinsnips and other sheetmetal tools can stay in their drawer in the workshop. By the way here's a tip, - when I'm shaping up sheetmetal I use an old cobblers shoe last to work my hammer strokes against. A shoe last has so many nice curved edges to work against which makes it really ideal.

I roughed out a mounting for the tank this evening using part of a Skye TV antenna dish mounting that I rescued from the council tip. I still can't believe this, somebody dumped a huge pile of these Skye TV mountings complete with all the nuts and bolts. I satisfied myself with taking just a dozen of them, but what a waste!
Moan Warning! Whose bright idea was it to shrinkwrap new hacksaw blades?! When I find out who it is I'm going to give him a piece of my mind.

Did a trial fit of the rack and I think it's going to work out well. Some small mods are needed though to get it to fit the frame.

Attachments