Cheap B@stard Dyno Build- HF79

GoldenMotor.com

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
Decided on staying with the Whizzer tank (or maybe something better will cross my path...).

Started work on the intake manifold. Two large fender washers from Mcmaster-Carr and a piece of handlebar tubing.

That's as far as I got. I filed the ID of the washers so that the tubing would slide into the washer ID. I'm brazing so I prefer this type slip joint.

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
Third times a charm?

OK, one last try on getting the tank sorted. I have promised myself that if this one doesn't fit properly, I will either force the Whizzer tank to fit or make a apple juice can tank. I can't afford any more....

Got this one on ebay, supposedly a minibike tank from the 70's. Brand uncertain. I like this one because it has mounts front/rear that look very adaptable to a bike frame. And the dual fuel lines coming off the tank means I won't have interference with the canti frame. Fingers crossed it's not too big!

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
Intake flanges

Did a little shaping on the flanges for the intake manifold. I found it was too hard to attempt to hold the large washers and cut them. I don't have a band saw. Everything seemed too dangerous.

So this is what I did. I drilled the holes that will be used to mount the flanges eventually, then just screwed the washers down onto a scrap piece of wood. Then used my 4.5" angle grinder with a cutoff wheel on it. Made nice straight edges but required a lot of cleanup.

At least I didn't loose any fingers...

Next is a pic of them cleaned up:

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
Tank Update

I received this ebay minibike tank in the mail. Who knows what if came from? Tank is really clean inside. It will require a fair amount of clean up on the outside, but it's solid. Looks like I can mount it fairly easily. I like it.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I like it. Flows well from tank to seat.
Bet it would look great with a motorcycle style seat same profile as the back of the tank. Maybe a springer rear mount....

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
Yeah, I've decided to not use the big blue tank, but rather the new red one I got on ebay. The red tank was listed as a "minibike" tank with no further description, and I've been wondering what kind of minibike it came from? Doing my daily ebay scour, I noticed a "minibike" tank that looks like mine, and upon further investigation, I've decided that this must be my tank.

The red tank came from a Kawasaki KV75.

Here's mine:

And here is one on a KV75:

So it's weird that I purchased two Kawasaki tanks for this bike???

Anyway, if anyone likes this tank and think they might want to use one, it's a KV75 tank.

Last edited:

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
Progress looks great! these engines look so good mounted like that.
Thanks. Progress on Cheap B@stard is halted for a little while to allow me some time to get my new purchase sorted. Bought a 2007 Whizzer NE5 locally. It's got some corrosion on it, some rust, etc. Needed a new ignition switch and the carb cleaned out when I got it. Otherwise runs great.

I expect to get back on the Dyno build in a couple months.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
Very nice bike/build...

So glad i decided to a:read this thread, and b: decided to build a diy bike...

Great work
Ill be subscribed to this so hurry up and take your time