Can anyone help identify this engine

GoldenMotor.com

krygods

Dec 7, 2014
Lakewood, Ca
Hey all, I'm new to the forum. I'm looking to use this engine for a FD bike. I removed the engine from an old edger i found sitting on the side of my boat. Not sure what kind of edger it was but the air filter says craftsman on it so I'm guessing its a craftsman. Wondering if anyone can identify the engine.

Another question I have is about the output shaft. Its a 5/8 shaft with a woodruff key but its not threaded on the end. How would I attach a drive roller to this type of output shaft?

Attachments

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Were is the flywheel cover? Looks like a briggs to me. There should be some numbers on the cover. Briggs are stamped in and tecumesh is a lable or sticker.............Curt

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Standard Briggs & Stratton flat head. Looks like either a 2 1/2 hp or maybe a 4hp.
Too small for a 5hp.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
That's an H-30 Tecumseh. Has the fairly rare side exhaust. Probably on an edger. If I am seeing correctly its the model with a pumper carb.
Great little motor!

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Should be 3hp. The Tecumseh nomenclature makes sense. H is horizontal and the number is the HP--3.0 . A 4hp would be an H-40, 5hp, H-50 etc.
I said this may have a pumper carb. Actually its a diaphragm carb, no float but its gravity fed. Not sure were these carbs were used, but I only remember seeing them on certain H-30s.
Notice the big cast iron flywheel, makes it a smooth runner.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I have three of those H40s, all from snow blowers with crapped up carbs and rusted out mufflers. I was looking at one this morning and liking the flathead aspect. Seems to me I couldn't get the carb off one... can't remember why, but am now thinking that even if I demolished a carb in removal, so what? Put a china girl carb on it and don't worry about rebuilding one.
Is that a pretty good engine? Reliable and easy to start? Might be nice for a friction drive.
SB

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I suppose you have the carbs, but I'd have thought one from a small 4 stroke bike would be a bit better. But if it works, it works.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I have three of those H40s, all from snow blowers with crapped up carbs and rusted out mufflers. I was looking at one this morning and liking the flathead aspect. Seems to me I couldn't get the carb off one... can't remember why, but am now thinking that even if I demolished a carb in removal, so what? Put a china girl carb on it and don't worry about rebuilding one.
Is that a pretty good engine? Reliable and easy to start? Might be nice for a friction drive.
SB
They are good little engines SB. The carbs are prone to gummig up if left sitting. Replacement carbs are out there I think in the $30 range. A CG carb may work but would probably be on the small side. I believe the displacement is in the 140cc range.

Last edited:

krygods

Dec 7, 2014
Lakewood, Ca
This can be accomplished with the crank still in the engine yes? Also would you recommend drilling with a drill press or can a hand drill be safely used?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
My inclination is to make sure the crankshaft is locked and use the drill press, having first measured twice, and then come back to make sure.

This is not because I am an engineer; I am dreadful at these things, and will use anything and everything to make sure it comes out right.

Paranoid, basically.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Its not really too big of a deal. The crank is cast iron, relatively soft and drills easily. I agree it would be nice to drill dead center, but in reality it matters little if its off a small bit at least for an FD roller. If you don't have the drill and tap, I would recommend buying a new tap and a matching drill bit to insure a good tap job. Just drill as straight as you possibly can. Its most important to have the bolt pull down square. If you drill the crank from above tape a plastic bag just below the end to catch/deflect the drillings form the cranks oil seal and bearing.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks to this thread I've been reconsidering the Tecumseh flat head. Other than lab rat's build I don't recall seeing a Tecumseh 4 stroke in the 3-5 hsp range for a build here on the forum. Plenty of Brigs, but not Tecumseh. Yet I run across more Tecumseh engines on old snow blowers and such than I do Brigs engines. Easy to come by, so why aren't more being used for our builds?

It seems to me that the H3-H4 are just right in displacement for a bike motor. The H3 must be comparable to a 99cc Predator engine in hp and the H-4 would be midway between the 99 and the 212 Predator. For most bikes I think the 212 is too much motor. At 140cc or thereabouts the H4 would be a good choice, about the same displacement as a Whizzer engine.

I'd like to see either the H3 or H4 stripped down without cowling and with the flywheel fins shaved off. How compact is it? These are common engines in the states. Why aren't we using them more?
SB