BoXer Race Bicycle transformation!!!!!

GoldenMotor.com

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
What is important is that the tabs fit snug in the slots, just enough clearance so that you can get them on.

The tabs and the flat on the axle take the entire torque of the motor.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Finally some progress!!!

I finally got around 4 hours of time in on the bike.
I used some scrap metal laying around the shop. I kept the battery tray very simple. Since I had access to a power shear and a sheet metal bender, the task was easy. The Battery was a tight fit already so I decided to only use the front mounts to bolt up. For the back mounts, I welded two tabs on the tray to prevent side to side travel. I only put lips on one side and back of the tray. I'm going to use Velcro straps to hold the battery in place. I have plans of using Black Plexiglass for the sides but that will be later on.

Attachments

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Here's a picture of the battery in the tray.
Thanks to Dean for letting me use his welder to make clean TIG welds.

Attachments

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
thats what i wanted to see. very nice! Perfect set up for a full suspension electric bicycle battery mount

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
I think he is building it for pleasure riding not racing. might race it to but originally he was building something he could ride without upsetting the neighbors

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Scotty,
Paul is correct. It was a race bike tamed down to a neighborhood cruiser.
My biggest competition Safety has been MIA so it will probably be a cruiser until I convert it back into a racing machine. Going to 86 the h2o and race the 5.8 air cooled I found at the shop.
Today I finished the rear brake. The first didn't go according to plan so I scraped it and built a new bracket. Works pretty good but I put a regeneration button on so I won't be using the rear brake that much.

Attachments

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Here was my biggest hurdle. (The rear cassette)
As most of you know the BoXer uses a single free wheel hub. The only cassette I could find was a 8 speed. I didn't want all the unused sprockets on my bike so I butchered the cassette to convert it to a single speed. I had a hard time thinking of a way to make a spacer so I used 1 1/2" ABS and it worked great.

Attachments

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I hated the fact that my battery was an ugly puke blue so I painted it. All the is left is wiring the main power supply.

Attachments

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Scotty,
Paul is correct. It was a race bike tamed down to a neighborhood cruiser.
My biggest competition Safety has been MIA so it will probably be a cruiser until I convert it back into a racing machine. Going to 86 the h2o and race the 5.8 air cooled I found at the shop.
Today I finished the rear brake. The first didn't go according to plan so I scraped it and built a new bracket. Works pretty good but I put a regeneration button on so I won't be using the rear brake that much.
If this is so, then I assume we will no longer race together or against each other and .......? My neighbors don't complain about the bikes I build and race, in fact they are interested in it.

Does this mean you're done racing Kenny?

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
You are gonna like that bike!

You got the maximum size battery and a good direct drive.

Nice and clean. Welcome to the world of stealth - :)

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
If this is so, then I assume we will no longer race together or against each other and .......? My neighbors don't complain about the bikes I build and race, in fact they are interested in it.

Does this mean you're done racing Kenny?
No Scotty, I ain't done yet. The bike can be easily converted back to a gasser.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I just got back from Santa Cruz. I rode around 20 miles today and the battery is still at full. The bike was a blast to ride around. Super quiet but it does have a little clicking noise at 25 mph but found out it was my front brakes. LOL

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
No Scotty, I ain't done yet. The bike can be easily converted back to a gasser.
That great to hear that you will be back at the races cause we
would all really miss you! :)

Your 5.8 Morini would do good in the Midrange class.
How about a little oval night racing on July 27th? :D
Please sign up to the SMBR Newsletter to stay in touch.

Your black stealth eBoxer is a slick ride.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Perfect timing. It's hotter than hades here eh?

It's on the charger right? All ready to go.

Take it out for a spin right before you hit the sack. In the cool of the night around the neighborhood. Don't matter what time that is, ain't nobody gonna hear you anyway.

Have fun!

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Does anyone know if the battery gauge (three lights)on the thumb throttle really works?
I went on another 10+ mile ride and the battery is still on full? With my luck, I'll be far from the home front with a dead battery.