Are we in the electric Vehicle Revolution?

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i have noticed with the electric bicycle that the people with the pedal bikes don't mind them, they are interested and ask questions, with my 2 stroke motorized bicycle it was totally different, i am not knocking gas bicycles i am just pointing out i notice a difference also

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
i have noticed with the electric bicycle that the people with the pedal bikes don't mind them, they are interested and ask questions, with my 2 stroke motorized bicycle it was totally different, i am not knocking gas bicycles i am just pointing out i notice a difference also
It's almost impossible to knock an electric bike. No noise, exhaust, oil, or gas. Most people including cops don't even know what an electric hub is.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I love them personally, the torque is great and I think electric motors spooling up sound really cool, the only knock I've experienced is to the wallet, hopefully that changes in the future.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I love them personally, the torque is great and I think electric motors spooling up sound really cool, the only knock I've experienced is to the wallet, hopefully that changes in the future.
Yep. My wallet is about to feel that Lithium pain for the second time. Much worse this time though. 72V 48Ah of pain and misery

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Yeah I am sticking with lead for a while until I can build a 60V 20Ah pack that can deliver 100A for about $200, I might pick up some new supercapacitors for the motard because they make the SLA's stay strong til the very end when they're spent like Li cells, I messed one up internally bouncing around on trails.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Yeah I am sticking with lead for a while until I can build a 60V 20Ah pack that can deliver 100A for about $200, I might pick up some new supercapacitors for the motard because they make the SLA's stay strong til the very end when they're spent like Li cells, I messed one up internally bouncing around on trails.
Somehow I gotta pay for 24 of these LiPo bricks and by a controller to match them. Oh the agony that's gonna be.

motortriker

Mar 5, 2012
florida
Somehow I gotta pay for 24 of these LiPo bricks and by a controller to match them. Oh the agony that's gonna be.

It can be fun if you like testing batteries. :)

The hard agony will come when you try and return the dead packs back to HK.

With an order of 24 packs surely some will be bad.

Then there is the agony of taking the bad packs apart and replacing the bad cells. :)

I know first hand the agony of making HK lipo work on an ebike. :)

I now enjoy the agony of making A123m1 cells work on an ebike.

A123m1 cells are more my style of homemade ebike battery agony. :)

http://www.hightechsystemsllc.com/pt_Batterypacks.html

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Try doing a YouTube search to find out what there are more of, ebikes, or motor bicycles, or gas bicycles, or whatever variation of a gas bike you can think of. Looks like ebikes rule.

Conclusion there's way more ebikes than gas motor bicycles.

ebike = 320,000

motor bicycle = 196,000

diy bike = 287,000

china girl bike = 44,400

happy time bike 131,000

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
It can be fun if you like testing batteries. :)

The hard agony will come when you try and return the dead packs back to HK.

With an order of 24 packs surely some will be bad.

Then there is the agony of taking the bad packs apart and replacing the bad cells. :)

I know first hand the agony of making HK lipo work on an ebike. :)

I now enjoy the agony of making A123m1 cells work on an ebike.

A123m1 cells are more my style of homemade ebike battery agony. :)

http://www.hightechsystemsllc.com/pt_Batterypacks.html
You failed to mention 2 of the most important agonies of all though. The cost/Ah and weight/Ah comparison agony of the 2 competing battery types. Why is that exactly? Because there is no perfect battery. All battery types have a list of varying negatives as long as my arm. Pick your poison. laff

"When my A123’s ware out I am going back to LiPo. Those HK LiPo’s has so much better power and less weight. Right now I have about half of each. Those Asian batteries have really changed the hobby."

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1109644

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
There's more ebikes than gas bikes because you gotta bolt together your own gas bike (most people can't tie their own shoes) and tune it to make it work right, there's lots of underpowered gas bikes sold by every big box department store for folks tired of getting sweaty when they ride their bike, if you want something that offers performance, it's gonna cost a bit...

motortriker

Mar 5, 2012
florida
You failed to mention 2 of the most important agonies of all though. The cost/Ah and weight/Ah comparison agony of the 2 competing battery types. Why is that exactly? Because there is no perfect battery. All battery types have a list of varying negatives as long as my arm. Pick your poison. laff

"When my A123’s ware out I am going back to LiPo. Those HK LiPo’s has so much better power and less weight. Right now I have about half of each. Those Asian batteries have really changed the hobby."

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1109644
The extra weight can be alright if the weight is low on the bike.

HK lipo has the shortest life cycles of all li ion batteries so the cost per ride is not so good.

Your bike looks like it has a lot of room to mount batteries low on the bike.

Custom frames like the SB and others made to be ebikes can mount batteries in a lower location on the ebike.

It is harder to get over the agony of being ripped off by HK than getting over the agony of figuring out how to mount the batteries low so the handling of the bike is ok ? :)

Pick you agony ? :)

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
There's more ebikes than gas bikes because you gotta bolt together your own gas bike (most people can't tie their own shoes) and tune it to make it work right, there's lots of underpowered gas bikes sold by every big box department store for folks tired of getting sweaty when they ride their bike, if you want something that offers performance, it's gonna cost a bit...
I don't think that's the case. Look at the videos. Most of the ebikes are kit bikes same as the gas bikes.

Cost doesn't seem to be that much of a factor either, because even though the gas bikes cost less, there's a lot more ebikes.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
This is my friend Dal's ebike. It looks like a regular bicycle, but it goes 40+ mph and will do front tire burn outs. It has 40 wh of battery in the saddlebags.

He's never ridden a gas motorized bicycle. I don't even think he's a motorcycle rider. He's just a guy that wanted an ebike so he made one a few years ago. About the same time a dinosaur like me got into gas motorized bicycles lol.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
The extra weight can be alright if the weight is low on the bike.

HK lipo has the shortest life cycles of all li ion batteries so the cost per ride is not so good.

Your bike looks like it has a lot of room to mount batteries low on the bike.

Custom frames like the SB and others made to be ebikes can mount batteries in a lower location on the ebike.

It is harder to get over the agony of being ripped off by HK than getting over the agony of figuring out how to mount the batteries low so the handling of the bike is ok ? :)

Pick you agony ? :)
I think I'm going the LiFePo4 route. I never thought I hear myself say that but it is a much cheaper $/Ah and easier route. LOL