72V 100A 60Ah 4.3kWh 10s24p 200lbs.....

GoldenMotor.com

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Anybody want to ponder a guess on the range that 55Ah and 66V will give on a 200 lb bicycle? I have no idea.

$2400 for my batts. The 1100 Watt Optibike R11 cost $14,000. The word "Crazy" is a relative term. LOL

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
16v is a world renowned ebike expert. That's obvious just seeing his bike. Stop arguing and buy a box car load of lead acid battery's because they're cheaper, and plus maybe that will shut his dumb ass up.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
16v is a world renowned ebike expert. That's obvious just seeing his bike. Stop arguing and buy a box car load of lead acid battery's because they're cheaper, and plus maybe that will shut his dumb ass up.
LMAO I needs range and I needs that range stuffed into those 2 ammo cans as shown in my bike pic. I know those ammo cans look huge and they are big but they are not "lead acid" big by any stretch of the imagination.

$2400 is a butt load of money that I don't have yet and it will hurt, but I gots to do what I gots to do. laff

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
When I go on Long Range Recon Patrols in the concrete jungle of Los Angeles on my bike, I can't afford to run out of juice.......especially at night in this city. I can't simply go top off my Ah at a station like you could in a Tesla. Los Angeles is huge with more battery murdering steep hills than you can shake a stick at. Go big or go home is what I always like to say. I'm going as big as my bike will hold.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Oh STFU, you guys live on another planet, it's a displeasure engaging in conversation with you, peace out fools.
I'm sorry man, that was rude of me, but you already expressed your opinion enough times that we're all understanding where you're coming from. It should be obvious to you by now that we have other ideas. Instead of constantly ragging on what we want to do, why don't you use your experience to try and help accomplish the stated goal even if you don't care for the idea yourself?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Anybody want to ponder a guess on the range that 55Ah and 66V will give on a 200 lb bicycle? I have no idea.
Of course we know that will depend a lot on the speed, but at 20 mph I guess about 70-80 miles. A lot of hills maybe a little less.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
With proper gearing and a little pedal assist and not riding it like I drive my WRX, I would say 40-50 miles or so.

With the kind of dollars you are talking about, why didn't you go NCM? I love the things because they are so darn light, although I don't think they quite live up to their rating. (I do notice they have backed down on some)

What I want is better motor design! All motors get warm. To me this is waste. I'll bet your motor gets screaming hot and to me it seems like this is energy gone for nothing.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
With proper gearing and a little pedal assist and not riding it like I drive my WRX, I would say 40-50 miles or so.

With the kind of dollars you are talking about, why didn't you go NCM? I love the things because they are so darn light, although I don't think they quite live up to their rating. (I do notice they have backed down on some)

What I want is better motor design! All motors get warm. To me this is waste. I'll bet your motor gets screaming hot and to me it seems like this is energy gone for nothing.
I had NCM on my last bike. Their Discharge Rating sucks to high heaven. Lightness means little if their Discharge Rating sucks.

This 19 peak HP motor is designed to propel a motorcycle sized bike down the road. Input voltage of 30-72 VDC. 100 amps continuous, and up to 300 amps for 30 seconds. This motor ain't gettin' hot and I plan on breaking the speed of sound with it. There's nothing wasteful about that. LOL

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Of course we know that will depend a lot on the speed, but at 20 mph I guess about 70-80 miles. A lot of hills maybe a little less.
My days of riding in the gutter are OVER. I will now claim the car lane permanently, so I will be riding at the speed of car traffic, in the middle of the lane, where I belong. It shouldn't eat up my range too much. LOL

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Always trade offs with man made items, IC, electric, human powered.

Drawing over 100A's, that motor will be warm. Looks like it's built to deal with the heat, but I'm not talking heat dissipation, I'm talking about a design that doesn't generate heat in the first place.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
My days of riding in the gutter are OVER. I will now claim the car lane permanently, so I will be riding at the speed of car traffic, in the middle of the lane, where I belong. It shouldn't eat up my range too much. LOL
When I'm riding 45 mph and up, my bike is eating about 1 ah per mile. Dropping down to 35 isn't much better, maybe about 1.5 ah per mile. 20 mph is about 2.5 ah per mile. All this depends on the wind and hills too. Wind is worse than hills. Stopping a lot eats more too so I run all the stop signs.

Also outside temperature makes a difference too. Since I started riding my bike in December it's only been really warm about 3 or 4 days. On those days I noticed a little better acceleration, so I might have gone a little farther if I could have controlled my happy hand a little better.

Most of my rides are about 40 miles. Since I only have 18 ah I can't afford to ride at traffic speed all the way. Usually my ride goes something like this, I ride away from the house at a snail pace. A lot of times I'll get 15 miles away and only used 3 ah. My record was 20 miles and about 3.9 ah used That takes bicycle speeds to do that, about 13 mph. By them I'm probably where I was heading so I loosen up a little and ride around at whatever speed I feel like till I've used a total of about 6 or 8 ah. By then it's usually getting late, and time to head home. With 10 or 12 ah left I blast all the way running 35 to 45 mph, and usually pull back into the garage with 1 or 2 ah left.

Someday I'll have enough ah to ride any speed I want the whole ride, but for now it's fun enough just to be able to blast all the home after riding all day.

All I really ask for is about 40 ah, but even 30 would be pretty good. I think with 55 ah you'll be very happy.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
When I'm riding 45 mph and up, my bike is eating about 1 ah per mile. Dropping down to 35 isn't much better, maybe about 1.5 ah per mile. 20 mph is about 2.5 ah per mile. All this depends on the wind and hills too. Wind is worse than hills. Stopping a lot eats more too so I run all the stop signs.

Also outside temperature makes a difference too. Since I started riding my bike in December it's only been really warm about 3 or 4 days. On those days I noticed a little better acceleration, so I might have gone a little farther if I could have controlled my happy hand a little better.

Most of my rides are about 40 miles. Since I only have 18 ah I can't afford to ride at traffic speed all the way. Usually my ride goes something like this, I ride away from the house at a snail pace. A lot of times I'll get 15 miles away and only used 3 ah. My record was 20 miles and about 3.9 ah used That takes bicycle speeds to do that, about 13 mph. By them I'm probably where I was heading so I loosen up a little and ride around at whatever speed I feel like till I've used a total of about 6 or 8 ah. By then it's usually getting late, and time to head home. With 10 or 12 ah left I blast all the way running 35 to 45 mph, and usually pull back into the garage with 1 or 2 ah left.

Someday I'll have enough ah to ride any speed I want the whole ride, but for now it's fun enough just to be able to blast all the home after riding all day.

All I really ask for is about 40 ah, but even 30 would be pretty good. I think with 55 ah you'll be very happy.

You need a 2 wheel trailer full of batteries that you can pull.

What about Brake Regen? Do you have it?

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
That's really the only way that lead acid batteries will work. They are just too heavy.

I bought (2) 12 volt 55 AH AGM batteries for the electric minibike project I'm working on. They weigh 40 lbs each So that's 80 lbs for 1.3 KW-hours. The 48 volt 20 AH Golden Motor LiFePO4 battery in the stainless steel box weighs 25. So that's 25 lbs for 1 KW-hour. The Ping foil pouch batteries are much lighter than that.

So yeah, lead acid batteries will work, you just need a trailer to drag them along behind the bike.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

What about Brake Regen? Do you have it?
I do have regen but I don't use it much. On the flat ground I ride it's of so little use it's a non issue. I've never seen more than 1.5% regen. Plus I'm not sure it's a good idea to blast the battery with high current for short periods of time.

I am planning to buy a battery to use as an axillary to extend my range when I can spend the money comfortably.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I do have regen but I don't use it much. On the flat ground I ride it's of so little use it's a non issue. I've never seen more than 1.5% regen. Plus I'm not sure it's a good idea to blast the battery with high current for short periods of time.

I am planning to buy a battery to use as an axillary to extend my range when I can spend the money comfortably.
I had Brake Regen and my batteries loved it. My brake pads loved it well. I only had a single front disc brake and my Brake Regen is what actually brought me to a stop most of the time.

I guess I'll be gettin this 10kW of illegal magnetic goodness instead of the 5kW!