66cc Engine Can't Idle?

GoldenMotor.com

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I thought about just getting a new throttle all together, I just dont know if I would need dirt bike ones or what.
Most any 7/8th" throttle will work, I used a dirtbike type throttle, only thing about that is I had to wire up a separate kill switch, cause I couldn't find one with a kill switch that I liked (that was made of metal)

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Have you took off the air filter and watched the barrel move in the carb? This would tell if its opening all the way, one of the bikes I built has a long cable but opens the carb fully. Do this with the engine off! Lol!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
That wouldn't be cause by the throttle cable being to long, that would be from the spring being in wrong, or not at all.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Yes, the barrel did move all the way, the throttle just doesnt spring back.
Like he said, is the spring in there? If so, then perhaps you have a tight bend in the cable causing it to bind and not return easily. Did you put light weight oil down the cable housing before you installed it?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Check the slot where the cable goes in the twist grip. Often there is plastic flashing that can cause binding. I make it a point to clear away any plastic with a sharp #11 Exacto blade and I also lubricate the area before assembly. I've also seen the barrel on the end of the cable twisted in the slot (some barrels are too small for the application) and that can also bind in the track where the cable rides.

As was said above; make sure you have no sharp bends or kinks in the cable from the handlebars to the engine. Don't tie the cable down too tightly with zip-ties or cable clamps. That can also cause cable binding.

What happens when ypou leave the cable out of the twist grip and pull it? Does the throttle slide return fully to the idle position?

Tom

gage77

Jun 1, 2012
U.S.
The other day I went on a bike ride with a buddy of mine, and because of the throttle problem I was only able to go about 10-15 mph..I couldnt even make it up hills. But it was weird, at one point in the ride I just randomly decided to shift my bike to 5th gear( its a 7 speed bike) and I just flew! I was going seriously like 40 mph, my friend couldnt even keep up with my on his bike engine and his works great. Then I ran out of gas, filled the tank and it wouldnt go that fast again in any of the gears. Im just boggled. Also what find of oil would I use to lube the throttle cable?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
What that tells me is your float level is too high, when your gas level got low in the carb bowl it ran as it should. I would bend the tang to fix that. Any kind of light weight oil will do to lube all cables.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I agree with Greg58, you need to do a float adjustment in the carb. If you turn off your fuel valve while riding you should be able to reproduce the scenario and see how well she runs when the fuel level in the bowl drops a bit....

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
What do you mean by fixing the tang?
On the float there is a little tab, or tang, that pushes the needle up into the valve and closes it. You bend this tab to adjust when the valve closes, bend toward the needle to close sooner and hold less fuel in the bowl in your case....

gage77

Jun 1, 2012
U.S.
I got my throttle to snap back today, but its weird it still drives like its not getting full power, when I pull the throttle all the way it still only goes like 10 mph.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Did you adjust the float? I tuned a cns2 today, this bike sounded like a 4 stroke it was so bad. I removed the carb, bent the float tang to close the needle sooner. I cleaned out the main jet, added a new plug and cap. Now it runs like it should.

zatdattyo

Apr 13, 2012
Tennessee
I need to get mine to idle. It runs good, but dies when I disingauge the clutch. I havent ridden it enough to even drain a half tank of gas. Reason being, Im pleaged by rednecks and lead footed women in suv's. Running up and down my 30 MPH country road just looking for something to fly up on and mash on the horn or revv there motors in an attempt to say get the ---- off the road...God I hate REDDS. They've already killed every dog, cat, not to mention what wildlife dared to cross immediatly became roadkill. But I will say they did pass a law in Tennessee allowing the redds to scoop up there trophy kill and take it home and grill it up. "TRUTH" So I guess Ill just have to take my bike to a redneck FREE zone for peace and quiet to test my adjustments. Because these dope smoking, beer gulping REDDS and their trailer trash cigarette sucking toothless HE'Woman are gonna peel rubber on my old A-- if given the chance. Any suggestions I will be happy to try.