1st AVG Group Flying Tigers tribute build

GoldenMotor.com

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Well. I've been working a lot on this build and FINALLY have it where I want it. Pics to follow. However: The damn thing wont run... It "runs" but only with the choke on partially, even when fully up to temp. There is NO power. Plug is black but I expect that with having to keep the choke on all the time. I have cleaned the idle needle thingy under the idle screw with carb cleaner, fine wire and compressed air. No change. I have cleaned the entire carb. No change. I have changed the spark plug. No change. I have re gaped the magneto. No change. I have checked all gaskets on the intake for possable air leaks. No change. I took the original carb and drilled out the brass plug to address the idle mixture. No change. I have swapped the 53cc carb for a NEW HS 49cc carb. No change at all. I have replaced the kill switch. No change. I took a pistol and blew my brains out.... change... I think the block is a boat anchor.... Discuss. EDIT: The only things I can think of that MIGHT make a difference is swapping out the magneto and lashing the valves. NOW Discuss.

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Buried in post 69 ( hehh hehh 69 ) I mentioned this was getting KCvail's new 53cc R hand drive for 3 speed rear hub shift kit. But it seems the only difference between motors is a few mm extra bore. carbs seem exactly the same. Truckd! where you been? Im too pooped to drag it back out for pics and its supposed to rain here Sunday. Pics will have to wait. But its good! Different bars lighes, used rivnuts and spacers for the fairing to clear the motor mount ect. Too bad the motor is shyyte.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Don't worry about running out in the rain for pic's Bro , it's raining here too
I've been working bro Sorry for my absence , a lot of painting ( 50,000 sqft ) at our Church .

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Sound to me like you got a bad carb. If you went through it and still nothing,swap it out. Sure would like to see the bike!,, Rain lol we got snow for 4 hrs today. Or just get rid of that carb all together.Ffv8 sells intakes and you know how to spend money lol

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
I DID swap the carb and gaskets with no change in running condition. I forget; are you westside or eastside? We get snow here too... NEVER!! HAHAHAAHahahhahAHAHahahah ( cough ) :)

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
East side boooyyyy! geez new carb and still nothin ...that blows. That's about as far as my mechanicals skills go...going to make a snow man good luck and get some pictures up. The rain is probly hot there too!

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Getting a good gas flow from the tank?......you got spark,compression, it's got to be gas or out of time...................Curt

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Thanks Curt. I will try deleting all filter/valve arangments and run a checked, good flow hose direct and see what happens. But not today. Gotta work tonight.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Well. Its not fuel flow from the tank. Ran a hose direct. No change. I set the valve lash. virtually no adjustment needed. No change. I wish this damn thing wasnt a taper shaft motor. I have a perfectly good 49cc sitting on my bench but its not taper.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Don't blame ya, it's got to be something simple that you are over looking. Thought maybe your cam timing would be off. But you haven't had it apart yet......BOOOOOOOOOOOM.....Curt

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Did you buy the complete kit from KC.? If so what up ? Why are they using the tapered shaft. The kit design is good but they need to go with the 5/8 straight. I hope you get this worked out ... But if you do blow it up please post a video

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Will do. ( Both ) Im assuming KC is using the tapered because thats what the 53cc is available in, and bigger is better... Rght?

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
OK... Now... I've never claimed to be anything but a mechanical idiot. When I first started this motorized bike building lark any decent mechanic would have run screaming if they saw me trying to wield a wrench. Having said that; let the nose tweaking and finger pointing begin. I have discovered the "problem" with my motor; and the problem is ME. All my other carbs opperate the choke in the opposite direction of the HS carb. This is the first time I have not "upgraded" the carb right off the bat on a build. Yes: You guessed it. As the motor got warmer I closed the choke instead of opening it.... Runs good when its not throwing a chain. But I have that one figured out now as well.