145H chain vs Single Speed - Smallest Spoke Cog

GoldenMotor.com

motoringbike

Jan 28, 2014
CDN
Greetings!

I need a 415H chain KMC (1/2"x3/16") for the rear wheel that bolts onto the spokes sprocket.
Bicycle stores sell them, most (if not all) have to order them in.
Local Bicycle Store has to order in 98 links K415H for $18, one on Amazon has 140 links 415H $45 and its Prime Day. But yeah I will just order from LBS.

Problem - Do I order two because I have a Townie 7D feet forward. Havent counted the single speed links yet. I need to know the pin to pin length of the 415H chain, is it 1/2"?
Is the 3/16 the pin length?

Then calculate or figure out how that compares to my KMC single speed chain. I'd count the single speed chain links required for my application, measure the total length with a tape measure, then divide by the 415H pin to pin length.

Basically I have the right length single speed chain from my motor to the 41T bolt on spoke cog. But that spoke cog requires a 415H chain. The good thing with the bolt on cog I bought was there is spoke mount holes, for the adapter, but there is also the IS disc bolt hole pattern which is good for my needs.

Next question is, what is the smallest bolt on spoke cog there is?

Next question is, can I adapt a crank set gear to fit the adapter, or does the crank set gear whether it be 22,24 on up to 44,48,52. What I am thinking is there would need to be fabrication because the crank gear is too open. But thinking about it now, I can just lay the crank gear over the 41T cog and see where the bolt holes lineup.

https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/149932/
Modern bicycles use roller chain to connect the cranks to the rear wheel. Chain drives are among the most efficient means of power transmission known. Chain size is specified by pitch and width. The pitch is the distance between rollers (1/2" on all modern bicycle chain). The width is the internal width where the sprocket teeth fit in. Bicycle chain comes in two basic widths:

• 1/8" chain is used on most single-speed bicycles, and bicycles with internal gearing.
  • 3/32" chain is used on derailer equipped bicycles that have more than 3 speeds.
Chains for derailer applications also come in various external widths. Newer clusters which have more sprockets use chain with thinner side plates and flush rivets.

You will come to learn that Sheldon Brown was your friend http://www.sheldonbrown.com/

END QUOTE

Last edited:

motoringbike

Jan 28, 2014
CDN
I am just going to grind down that 41T bolt-on spoke cog by 1/16'ths so I can use the 1/8" single speed chain instead of buying two 415H chains that are 3/16'ths at $18 each and waiting for delivery to LBS. I have like 4 single speed chains from Chain Reaction Cycle that were on sale for $4.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
You can use 410H (BMX chain) on the engine side if you narrow the sprockets, (i've done it successfully on my race bikes); but you need to make sure both sprockets are perfectly in line with each other to keep the chain from jumping off the sprockets at full speed!