Felt Cruiser Build......not for cruising

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Thanks you guys for all the compliments, I'm really happy with this build as it's what I visioned......it looks a lot better in person too......

Sweet ride man, when i ordered my slant they were out so i got a sunliner, same frame just crazy blue. I CANT BELIEVE you're putting pimplites on a mb! I wish i could afford those for my dirt jumper. You gotta get a sprocket adapter and ditch the spoke clamp method man, dont ruin those wheels!
As for those sweet rims PBB, no need to worry as nothing is clamped to those 12g. spokes.....it's bolted to a flange that threads directly on the hub that has 4 sealed bearings. The sprocket adapter couldn't handle the torque of this engine and ruined the stock Felt wheel-build in no time. It's bomb-proof now.

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/197/img0768qg.jpg/]
[/URL]

this will be the last time you see this bike until Grange Oct.22.....I promise

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Playing with the gearing a bit and gettin er broken in.....this thing is a blast to ride! Serious business.......serious fun business at that. It's only 4 days till Grange....are you ready?

dnut

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Took Slant for a ride to the DMV today, then over to my folks house for last minute tuning and some performance add-ons. Here was the result:

This bike is as mean as it looks......if ya don't think so, take it for a ride.....it's a monster!

dnut

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
at 57.5, you got mine beat, but just barely. i GPS's it at 56 yesterday.

dammit. now i gotta get a rubber suit and an aero helmet or something...:)
Not too worry Baird, that GPS reading was before modified and dropped down 1 tooth on the primary sprocket......that dropped the top speed of this thumper ;)

dnut

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i might be gearing higher in the back, too. might want faster acceleration over top speed, but i wont know for sure till i hit the track. i figure a 32 will put me around 45ish, yet blast outta the corners quicker...

see ya tomorrow!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
[LYRICS] Cake - Going the Distance - YouTube

Thumper: Thump Thump 50! He slows down and hits the turn..
China: Blah.............Blah..............Bleh...Bleh..Bleh :p:D

The Distance Lyrics
Artist(Band):Cake
Review The Song (3) Print the Lyrics

Reluctantly crouched at the starting line,
engines pumping and thumping in time.
the green light flashes, the flags go up.
churning and burning, they yearn for the cup.
they deftly maneuver and muscle for rank,
fuel burning fast on an empty tank.
reckless and wild, they pour through the turns.
their prowess is potent and secretly stern.
as they speed through the finish, the flags go down.
the fans get up and they get out of town.
the arena is empty except for one man,
still driving and striving as fast as he can.
the sun has gone down and the moon has come up,
and long ago somebody left with the cup.
but he's driving and striving and hugging the turns.
and thinking of someone for whom he still burns.

he's going the distance.
he's going for speed.
she's all alone
all alone in her time of need.
because he's racing and pacing and plotting the course,
he's fighting and biting and riding on his horse,
he's going the distance.

no trophy, no flowers, no flashbulbs, no wine,
he's haunted by something he cannot define.
bowel-shaking earthquakes of doubt and remorse,
assail him, impale him with monster-truck force.
in his mind, he's still driving, still making the grade.
she's hoping in time that her memories will fade.
cause he's racing and pacing and plotting the course,
he's fighting and biting and riding on his horse.
the sun has gone down and the moon has come up,
and long ago somebody left with the cup.
but he's striving and driving and hugging the turns.
and thinking of someone for whom he still burns.

cause he's going the distance.
he's going for speed.
she's all alone
all alone in her time of need.
because he's racing and pacing and plotting the course,
he's racing and pacing and plotting the course,
he's going the distance.
he's going for speed.
he's going the distance.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
No need for envy. It's simple I'd use some other kind of motor besides a ''Happy Time''. Besides I am really rooting for you buddy! I wanna see ya finally win in one of these races for once! Every body loves to see a under dog win. I do...I loved all the Rocky movies.

I mean a 200cc 8000 or more rpm as I read it High Performance Thumper motor verses a H.T. Plus the thumper 4 smoke should have a way! excellent low rpm torque verses the H.T.. Virtually uncontrollable wheelies off the line!!!! Must be 3 times larger. I'v heard the ol saying there is no replacement for displacement. That is magnificent bragging rights! I so wanna see you do it! Dewit Dewit Dewitdance1

Last edited:

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Well then, back on the subject here........I can honestly say that Slant performed flawlessly. Everything I put into it, I definetely got out of it......truly a bike to be reckoned with. These HF powerplants are worth every penny for the racer not wanting too spend a fortune on a worthy, upgradable, strong running motor hands down. Thanks for following this build and all of the kind comments, it does mean alot to me!

Proud owner of the Slant,
scotto-

and a big thanks to AGK for most of the performance parts on this build!

dnut

agk

Oct 2, 2010
Santa Barbara CA
It was fun watching you run the "Slant" out their. You certainly had everything dialed in. I wish I could say the same for our torque converter bike. We have a little more work to do on ours.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Here is a little update on the "Slant" Felt racer. I've been playing with the gearing since the race at Grange and it seems that the gearing I had on race day was just about right for that track. It wasn't the fastest bike at the track that day (didn't expect it to be), but It was doing lap times just 3 seconds slower than the fastest bike which was PaulD's electric rocket......I can't complain about that.

So here are a few pics of some minor upgrades, the only stock parts of the original Felt beach cruiser I started with are the frame, the seat, pedals and the kickstand. That's it!

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/196/img0851of.jpg/]
[/URL]

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Well then, back on the subject here........I can honestly say that Slant performed flawlessly. Everything I put into it, I definetely got out of it......truly a bike to be reckoned with. These HF powerplants are worth every penny for the racer not wanting too spend a fortune on a worthy, upgradable, strong running motor hands down. Thanks for following this build and all of the kind comments, it does mean alot to me!

Proud owner of the Slant,
scotto-

and a big thanks to AGK for most of the performance parts on this build!

dnut
Man I cant believe that these electric bike are beating 200cc plus bikes at all, let alone by 3 seconds, I guess times they are a changing. Maybe I need to evolve. on the other hand I wonder how expensive those things are?

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Man I cant believe that these electric bike are beating 200cc plus bikes at all, let alone by 3 seconds, I guess times they are a changing. Maybe I need to evolve. on the other hand I wonder how expensive those things are?
Just to give you an idea how expensive the amazing electrics can be, the battery that shorted and blew up next to my pit area at the Grange race cost nearly as much as the bike I built for the races. The motor that smoked during the electric's finals (raced and owned by the same guy as the smoked lipo batt. SoSauty) cost another $750....a real expensive day in the owner of a contending electric racer. Way over my cheap budget, that's for sure!

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/812/img0865l.jpg/]
[/URL]

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/411/img0869f.jpg/]
[/URL]

dnut

Last edited:

agk

Oct 2, 2010
Santa Barbara CA
How do you like that rear brake scotto? We actually put oil on the rotor at the races because that setup is actually too effective. One finger on the brake lever can easily lock up the rear tire. Three fingers on the front lever pulling tightly hardly slow the bike down from 50mph. We need to come up with a front brake setup that works as well as the rear brake on the jackshaft.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
A chain driven reduction ratio front disc brake. What a great idea. Wouldn't take a whole lot of engineering and would increase the stopping power depending on the ratio. You could potentially have the power of a very large rotor using a really small disc. I'll have to think about this for a while.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
How do you like that rear brake scotto? We actually put oil on the rotor at the races because that setup is actually too effective. One finger on the brake lever can easily lock up the rear tire. Three fingers on the front lever pulling tightly hardly slow the bike down from 50mph. We need to come up with a front brake setup that works as well as the rear brake on the jackshaft.
Hey Shane, it works very well now that it's all dialed-in. It's definetly a one finger operation and I'm only using a mechanical disc, not hydraulic. Although I didn't really feel it was neccesary with the braking power of the big 4-stroke engine, it is kind of nice to know it's there if you might really need it.

Agreed on the front braking power or should I say lack of it, you'ld think the hydraulic 185mm would be more than ample......not so. Unfortunately my fork will not accomodate any larger rotor.....what to do?

Last edited:

Thud

May 26, 2010
West Michigan
hey scotto,
manic Jim turned me onto these front hydros....they will put the squeeze on any rotor you can fit in there. (its all I'll run on the race bikes)

Scooter Parts: Hydraulic Brake Kit

I even have one on my mountian bike....(cause it costs less & i can buy more batteries with the change LOL)

I would like to upgrade to a braided steel line to firm up the feel a little though.

seriously...fab an adapter plate & you braking problems are solved!
T