FireBelly 4 Stroke "Hard Box" Transmission

GoldenMotor.com

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
We have been testing our own transmission design with what we believe to be "Great success".

It is chain/sprocket drive and utilizes a Max Torque centrifugal clutch. w/ current reduction and standard 44 tooth final drive it produces a top speed of 34 mph. Reduction can be changed w/ off the shelf parts as well as final drive sprockets. It is narrower than the Hoot and Grubee as a prototype and will be even narrower in production.

All metal in construction, w/ aluminum covers, it will prove to accent the look of vintage style bikes as well as new models.

It is set to go into production in the next couple of weeks w/ availability beginning (most likely) in late April. Transmissions will be available in a complete kit or seperately (for those who already own a kit w/ an inferior transmission) and will be available for models w/ 15mm, 5/8", or 3/4" shafts.

Retail price will depend entirely on production costs but it is our intention to keep quality and appearance high and price low! The kit will come w/ a "real" universal engine mount that will also look nice.

The current pics are of the prototype (built for functionality only) and the finished product will be cnc precision machined to a more rounded shape reminiscent of vintage single cylinder motorcycles.

I'll post pics of the finished product as soon as I can! I'm confident that it's appearance and funcionality will appeal to the asthetically minded m/b builder.

As always "Motorized Bicycles and Accessories Built for the Real World"

Attachments

Last edited:

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Open invite to anyone in the Seattle area to come ride the FireBelly 4 stroke. A few people rode it today and all were amazed! More to come! Mounted Speedo last night, top speed today was 34mph!

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Very cool Tyrslider. Bet that will do well in the market. Nice job on the mounting plate, too.

Could you explain your muffler?

Fred

Sep 25, 2008
I Like it a lot. Hope the production preps go well. I think you can make a lot of the US market happy having a product like that. I know I'm interested. Also like the xhaust looking to do something different in that area too on my bike, need to actually.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Hey, sorry guys! I've been neglecting this thread!

But not the transmission project!

So the redesign has been submitted. The tested dimensions and layout remain the same however the 1st reduction will now be sealed and bathe in oil. This will improve appearance, insure quieter operation and longer chain life. Weight is expected to be in the area of 7 lbs.

We believe that w/ the weight and drive train resistance down to a minimum and optimal gearing ratios that this is a top notch option for the 4 stroke motor kits. We also believe that appearance and craftsmanship are an integral part of the motorized bicycle experience. We have designed this transmission to complement the appearance of your vintage and modern rides alike. All of the machining and labor are and will continue to be performed in America; all parts and materials are sourced from American companies. Every effort is being made to keep cost down while operating w/ ethic and integrity. This will not be the cheapest option but we hope that the price to value ratio will provide you w/ the best transmission available. We are open to any questions comments or concerns.

FireBelly's new 4 stroke drive solution is going into production. Only a very limited # will be available for purchase initially.
Some of the features include:

CNC machined Aluminum; All hard parts!

Lighter Weight

Outboard Bearing Support for engine output shaft

Sealed Bearings

Quiet Operation/Minimal Maintenance; Closed and Sealed 1st reduction chain bathes in oil.

Many Gear Ratio Options!

Cool Clutch Operation for longer life.

Made and sourced locally in WA and the greater U S of A

We Think it is Simple and Ellegant!

I'll post pics in a couple weeks when we have them in hand.

Price is $350 for the transmission. Just a few, initially, will be available.

I will say that the high revs of the honda and the washing machine require a sealed oil bath on the primary chain which put the cost a little higher than anticipated. However this is a really nice precision piece of machinery that will be beautiful and bullet proof; designed for yrs of use w/ proper occasional maintenance.

I'm anticipating a 2 lb weight savings over the competition.

All moving parts are off the shelf replaceable w/ the exception of the shafts and the 1st reduction gear which has been milled down in thickness.

Max torque clutch should last a long, long time!

We expect to have them available in four weeks. We'll need to approve the new sealed design.

Thanks, Evan FBC

Last edited:

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Looks like up to a 1 wk delay on the transmissions. Lol... I should've anticipated some delays (actually, as soon as I put a time line on it, I knew we would have some).

They are being machined at a small local shop and the CNC mill broke down.

I'm confident it is worth the wait!

frictiondrive

Jun 24, 2008
Fort Worth, Tx.
tyslider,
What type of primary chain will be used in your gear box? Will there be a way to adjust the tension? Oil bath is the only way to lubricate a primary chain which drives some people to using tooth belts and sprockets to eliminate the oil issues. Good luck with the gear box adventure!

Cris

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
sounds awesome TS. Gonna try and master paint and post some drawings. For 2 and 4 strokes, I am just making a BB that freewheels and acts as a reduction gear, Like Ebikes.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Can't wait Dan!

BTW We are now taking orders/payment for the transmission. They will ship this week sometime! pm or email for info. Thanks, Evan

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Wow that is going well. That is going to make a statement! I am amazed at the talent we have in this forum. Have fun, Dave

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Latest build pics and update

We are presently developing additional parts needed to complete a shift kit version of the Firebelly "Hard Box" all metal, locally manufactured and sourced green machine transmission.

Seals tightly w/ no leaks, Easy Low Maintenance!

The appearance is unsurpassed!

This is Truly a Gold Standard Product!

Attachments

Last edited:

Forbisher

Dec 28, 2008
Orange County, CA.
Weight is expected to be in the area of 7 lbs.

I'm anticipating a 2 lb weight savings over the competition. .

Thanks, Evan FBC
Hi Evan
The Hoot gearbox weighs a bit over 4 lbs
2" wide

The EZ motorbike transmission weighs 5 lbs 4oz
Prototype cover is 2" wide but can be reduced by at least 1/4"

The Grubee gearbox weighs 10 lbs 8 oz
Only 1 3/4" wide

Did I miss any of your competition?

The new Grubee belt drive does not have any published stats

How much does your transmission weight?

How wide is it?

I really do like the look of your box....
Are you offering any deal to dealers like myself?

thanks

Last edited: