Start of the 28" Board Tracker project

GoldenMotor.com

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
Axel, how did you bend your frame tubes ?
I had some thick 1 1/2" tubes left over (2mm material thickness), in the area where I wanted to bend it I cut in it with a saw almost to the center, and I did a cut every 1/2", than I could bend them very easily and it was automatically the radius I wanted it to be. After that I put a weld seam over the cut areas- super strong but quite heavy tubes. Zoom in one of my pics and you can see the cuts, hope that helps.

Axel

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
little update:

I built an aluminium case for the Sachs engine and changed the 50cc Moped cylinder to a 76cc Sachs stationery engine cylinder with horizontal cooling fins. Love the little exhaust from the stationery engine....
The cylinder is now rotated so that the carb is in front and exhaust in the rear. Due to the symmetrical layout of the cyl it was no problem.
Took me a while to figure out how to mount that engine but now I am done, pics will follow tomorrow.
The 76cc cyl is flat at the top, so it is a good base to built some Indian-style cylinderhead thing on top of it. I will also round the cooling fins off to get rid of that squarish look.

Attachments

Last edited:

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
Thank you Axel. That does help. Using this method, the possibilties would be endless. And, you would certainly be a better welder by the time you finished closing all the saw cuts up !

MHF

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Thank you Axel. That does help. Using this method, the possibilties would be endless. And, you would certainly be a better welder by the time you finished closing all the saw cuts up !

MHF
Just remember to leve a gap the same thickness as the metal for weld it makes for much better weld.
One should also use some copper or brass wedges to hold the gap and the weld will not stick to brass or copper. You can just flaten some copper tube and fold it if nessesary. Otherwise the weld will pull the gap closed some and chang the curve...............Curt

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
there's a pic somewhere here onboard of a faux Vtwin with the rear cylinder apparently used for an airbox.
It DOES look good ! imo :)
rc

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I was at Target today and they have some bikes with 28" wheels some hybread and one regular. They have the new style aluminum wheels About 1 1/2" wide .........Curt

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Wow, tats cool! I realy want a sachs motor but I think sb got the on ly one in minnesota. Ilike the way you switched thecylinder around. Now how are you going to make the cylinder look tller?

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Huh looks like the motor on my 71 putch maxisport. Hmmmm I bet if it ain't too teribly valuable I could trade it for one of my dads friends cousins whizzer
(I know, a "friends friends uncles brother" senario buthe lives somewhere near brainerd...)
Too bad I don't have a paypal or id bid on the sachs. I'll be lucky if I get a set of indian stickers for 5$ from my aunt off the ebay

Sep 18, 2011
Tyler Texas
Huh looks like the motor on my 71 putch maxisport. Hmmmm I bet if it ain't too teribly valuable I could trade it for one of my dads friends cousins whizzer
(I know, a "friends friends uncles brother" senario buthe lives somewhere near brainerd...)
Too bad I don't have a paypal or id bid on the sachs. I'll be lucky if I get a set of indian stickers for 5$ from my aunt off the ebay
They look similar, but the Sachs have the pedal shaft incorporated into the motor case. You could do away with the bicycle pedals and only use the ones on the engine and keep the old style BTR look.

I'm not sure about the Sachs transmission, but the Puch has a wet clutch system, and if you stood it upright, you may have some problems with it.

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
The Puch Maxisport engine is too wide and the cylinder is really off center, that kicked this engine out of my choice. The Sachs 505 is slim and the Sachs clutch is a wet clutch, half in ATF, if I turn the engine it is still half in ATF, we will see if it works but I think it should be no problem.

New pics, don't know if I should paint the engine case in same color as the bike (classic red) or keep it aluminium, and don't know if I should go for the (fake) second cylinder... any opinions?

Attachments

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
thoughts, thoughts, thoughts...

I decided to do the lower frame- the loop- not as deep as the original Indian has, for practical reasons. But I keep looking at my pics and realize my frame has not the unique approach like the original Indian bikes have with the low loop. And if I go with a single cyl, like it is now, the chain will go down from engine to pedals- and up from pedals to sprocket, and it almost clashes with the clutch housing...
If I would go with a lower loop and engine mounts it would be more like the look of the original Indians, and if I rotate the engine more forward I could keep a straight line from engine sprocket to rear wheel sprocket- but I have to install a fake second cylinder leaning backwards...
Will look great but what a disappointment for the crowd when you start the 76cc single cyl 2-stroke... ;-)

Maybe time for a concept change, otherwise I will always regret I haven't done it... but means again a lot of metal work.

What do you guys think if you look at the pics? Keep clicking between next/previous when you open the pics. Get the same feeling?

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2011
Tyler Texas
My personal opinion is to leave the loop alone. Too many people exaggerate the frame loop, forgetting that the only reason it was there in the original BTR's was because the engines were so tall that they wouldn't fit in a regular frame.
I notice that with the large loops,and small engines, that there is too much room above the engine, and it looks out of place.

As far as one or two cylinders, that is a personal preference. Many of the early models had one, the later ones usually had two for more power.

It's looking really good though. I hope mine comes out looking nearly as good as yours. I'm going to be using a Motobecane engine in a Worksman frame.

I like the single cylinder look!

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Dirt Road Cowboy
I agree with you. But it would look good with 2 cylinders, but that would depend on how much it coast and if you are going to ruen a engine just to get the extra cylinder. A tall single would also look more oridginal................Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Motobecane
Thats a awesome engine. Who makes them? almoest look like a sachs that SB is running.............Curt