vintage engine build

GoldenMotor.com

Tom TG

Dec 10, 2012
Oklahoma
ccd You have to love the Indian but I think they are getting over done.

truckd Nice pictures. What is the bike in the first picture, Post 17? I really like the original look.

Mr B thanks for posting the link to the book. There is another engine in this book that is smaller than the one I built, and would probably be easier to build. I don't know what I am going to do about a carb yet. I have built them before.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
HOLY CATS, TOM! You built that engine?!?!?! That's friggin' awesome! As antique-styled singles go, that is some stunning metal sculpture. If it runs anywhere near as nice as it looks, you are truly an artist.

You simply MUST build a bike worthy of being propelled by it! I bow to you sir!

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Well, they'd half to be blind as a post to not see him, with a motor *that* stunning and a frame to match, I don't think any one wouldn't see him riding and just be amazed..

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
ccd You have to love the Indian but I think they are getting over done.

truckd Nice pictures. What is the bike in the first picture, Post 17? I really like the original look.

Mr B thanks for posting the link to the book. There is another engine in this book that is smaller than the one I built, and would probably be easier to build. I don't know what I am going to do about a carb yet. I have built them before.
The bike in the first picture is Dave Leitner's 1914 Pope...

There are some close up photos of it in this album:

http://imgur.com/a/yAQtI#35

Edit: Opps, sorry- On closer inspection I see that it’s not the same bike... :-(

Although, I think it might be a slightly newer Pope...

-Kirk

Last edited:

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi Tom...A great engineering project...very time consuming and precise...will be looking forward to your bike build so I can see you mount your engine and ride it....500cc is a good size engine for this project..have checked out the photo bucket with your display of the engine build ..great craftsmanship....DD

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
tom

just awesome- great
so many people are so blown away by your ability to take metal and make it speak

i am with charlie chain
do not waste your skills in copying that which has come before

DO IT YOUR WAY that is what makes it so sensational

don't stop --buba

Tom TG

Dec 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Thanks guys.
Since I am building this bike with out prints I need to build the major parts and then fill in between[frame] so the next part I need is the tires. I am thinking about some 2.75- 21 motorcycle trail tires. Like Dunlop 803. what are you guy using? I need something to hold up a heavy bike but look vintage. I called coker and they said all their vintage bike tires were clincher. I would like a modern type bead tire. Tom

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
No, I used wide bicycle 28" Rigida-rims with Hartje Zeppelin tires 28x2.35,

here is a pic with this set-up compared to Honda XL500 23"x3.00 wheel.

I plan to use the Honda wheels with their better brakes for a future build, but they are huge, and you need to go with Enduro-style tires, their are no others for 23" wheels...

Some later Honda XLs had 21" frontwheels, DareDevil has used them for his Excelsior build, you will find street-tires for those...

Attachments

Last edited:

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Or, you could get a pair of the honda rims, and pull a burt munro with the tires and just carve down the lugs on the tires until you have a serviceable street tire!

Lol, just thinking outloud. Cheers

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi ... You could also use Honda CL90 hub ... its a bit smaller and is about 5 1/2" wide...still got 36 holes... the XL hubs are about an inch wider and have more brake area ...I used an after market 1.75 x 21" alloy rims with Dunlop 402 tire front and 404 on the rear..... there is also a 1.75 x 23" rim available..you could use a dirt speedway or a flat tracker tire on this ..I used the XL 125-175 front hub for the brake safety the rear is same type...DD

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
If you have the budget Coker Tires makes replica rims and clincher tires in authentic 28” x 3’(ish) sizes.

Expensive yes, but still cheaper than good condition originals.

Note: They are not as safe as modern wheels & tires- But it’s what they used back in the day.

On the other hand there where some light weight cycles still using 28” Bicycle wheels in 1909. Again Coker makes tires for these and original bicycle wheels are fairly common and affordable, especially the metal clad wooden ones.

-Kirk

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Well done, sir! Your engine is stunning, a work of art. Whatever time it took was worth it and I know that your bike will do it justice. Please do a build thread so that can look over your shoulder and learn as you go.
I remember when I saw the source book Crazy Horse shared for the first time and saw what a home workshop looked like, the tools used and got a rough idea of the skills these early builders had. You would have fit right in. In spirit you are contemporaries, "brothers in the wind".
SB

Tom TG

Dec 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Thanks all lots of good input I appreciate it. It would cost about 900$ for coker tire and rims. That might be ok if I was restoring a vintage bike. I think ccd has the right idea. I am going to by the 2.75-21 motorcycle tires and cut them down. I plan on building the rim, hub and spokes. When I make a little more progress on them I will post some pictures. Tom