Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > Norm's 2 stroke repair center

Norm's 2 stroke repair center Having problems with your 2 stroke engine? Just ask Norm, he loves to tinker and troubleshoot engines

Old 06-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default re: can't find an answer then ask here someone may be able to help!!

I like to make sure the inner clutch spring is tight. For people with motors that wont start but they have gas spark but no go. They shoud tighten that up and see if they can get a go. Does ithave resistance like the piston is moving or like just alot of friction don't use the flower nut to adjust you clutch only if you need a little bit. Loosen the flower nut by like 2-4 turns then tighten the inner clutch spring all the way, then you will have a good grip and you flower nut will just need a little adjusting to get it the way you want it.\

Norman did the article on how to tighten it, I'm not on the main computer or I would give the link out.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:08 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Howdy Norman,

My bike has alot of chatter in the clutch/transmission. I have followed you thread http://motorbicycling.com/f4/bicycle...lutch-222.html and tried to solve the noise problem.

My best guess is that the large gear with the clutch pads is loose. There is play up and down and side to side. I have look inside the gear, and it appears all 8 zillion ball bearings are in place. The clutch works fine. Examining the grease there isn't excessive metal, and the teeth look fine.

So, is this slop normal? If not, how can I tighten it up? Or should I just leave well enough alone and let the chatter announce my arrival.

Thanks
John

PS: Thank you SO MUCH for all you "how to" threads. Your help has made my build possible!
Old 06-10-2009, 09:27 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Norm,

What size is the ball bearing that goes with the clutch actuator arm and please say where you can order one. I am near a Tractor Supply, old timey hardware, NAPA, AutoZones, etc.
Many thanks,
Don P
Old 06-11-2009, 07:38 PM
LORD VADER Moderator

I measured the ball that is part of the clutch linkage its size is 0.312 thousands of an inch in dia.
I'm guessing a guy can find a ball bearing that might have the correct size ball or one real close to the right size and use it.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:29 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

I am going to have to buy a bike the kit I bought does not fit any of the bikes I currently have without major modification. Any suggestions to which bike I should consider? I want something that requires little to no modifications that is comfortable

One bike that comes to mind is a Schwinn Jaguar but you will need to drill the front frame down tube. Ilikeabikea has this bike and he likes it. I try to find old mountain bike frames these older bikes will fit the engine with out major mods. You might have better luck asking this question in the general question forum the guys have done all kinds of bikes and have some very nice looking builds. I lean towards the rat bike myself low budget builds so if I wreak it no big loss and less likely to be stolen I hope.
Norman

Last edited by Norman; 06-14-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:22 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Norman Beetle Juice here my rear motor mount bolts are to short to tighten down my rear mount like I want it Where can i get longer 6mm bolts and I thought I saw a post where someone tap there's out to 8mm Will my 6mm be strong enough if I just get them a little longer

Beetle
If you have a store called "fastenal" they might be able to help you find the right length studs or bolts in the 6 mm size. You can also look on line Mc Master Car is a source I think thats their name.
Nappa stores/auto parts stores will carry some of the metric fasteners or some of the better hardware stores. 6mm should be strong enough 8mm might cause clearance problems.

Last edited by Norman; 06-14-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:04 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

I need to bend my muffler to allow clearance for the pedals.. I have a torch and a vice which would work the best norm? I have pictures too if you want them
Old 06-14-2009, 01:17 PM
LORD VADER Moderator

I'd say the torch and vice will be needed to bend the pipe if your good at welding with the torch you can cut the pipe off of the mounting flange grind the pipe to the angle you need then re weld the pipe. The down side of this is the chrome will be history where you do the welding and cutting or even just the heating it up to bend it.
If you need just a little tweaking for the pipe and muffler to clear use the vice to bend the pipe don't try to bend the pipe attached to the engine as you will possibly damage the exhaust mounting studs or break the cylinder. That pipe on the stock exhausts is tough to bend cold and you can damage the pipe and muffler if you get to aggressive with it. if you can find a pipe to fit over the muffler to use as leverage that might help.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:27 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

thanks norman! I think I am going to have to bend it i'm not that mechanically savy to be welding and cutting. This is my first build and I have ran into so many problems. I am almost there!

Good luck and go at it slow you should be good to go. If you can tweak the pipe to clear the pedals by 1/4" that should be plenty just don't let your feet rest on the pedals by the pipe as it won't take long to find out how hot the pipe can get.
Norman

Last edited by Norman; 06-14-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:19 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

So I have to alter my muffler for pedal clearance. I was wondering if I could use a lawn mower muffler clamed on the end of a cut pipe or should I just bike the bullet and bend the pipe?