The $50 Cruiser. Operational after over a year parked next to a barn

GoldenMotor.com

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Re: The DUI cruiser. Operational after over a year parked next to a barn

Sold it? Can I borrow ten bucks? :) Yeah, my only worry is going over bumpy terrain, if the chain should be tensioned... I'll see.
Posted some stuff in Cruiser Bikes

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA

Yea it was a sad day lol
But if the chain is tensioned properly and properly aligned, it wont go anywere. I think its like less 1/2" inch of up and down slack is good

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA

Thanks for reminding me, I remember 2door saying it was something like 1/2 inch a while back.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013

I'll do that today, it's 3/4" for sure right now. Rode it about 8mi yesterday to see if it was gonna kill me, but worked good. I don't have a chain tensioner anymore, so I left it slightly looser than maybe I should have.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

So long as it will not jump the sprockets, 3/4 is about as loose as I recommend letting a chain go. Any more than that and the chain will start oscillating, a sort of whipping action, on the lower chain run as you are going down the road. This will accelerate wear on all the drive components. You can also hear a surging sort of sound coming from the engine as the oscillations tighten and loosen rhythmically. A warning that you can hear; that something is amiss.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013

I've seen that action on a chain drive, of some sort, some where. Can't remember. I intend to keep my chain at 1/2, for the reasons you mentioned. And thanks, I missed your first response somehow...

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA

Sounds like you got your bike running again?

Any updates on it yet? Performance mods ? A new exuast will help it alot, make it louder too lol.
Have you tried Drilling holes in your air filter cover also? Helped mine breathe a little
Might have to increase jet size a little though.

Also a good oil change and Valve adjustment might help. When the valves aren't set right, you lose a lot of power there.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013

It's running ok. No performance mods yet. Found a cool fuel filter and air filter, yet to order them. Was working on a throttle and brakes. A guys' gonna give me two mountain bikes- parts! It's over 40* here today, so I'm taking my longest ride so far, about 10mi. I'm going to Bird Dog Dist, so maybe the fella there will look it over... If The DUI cruiser don't kill me, I'll report back.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013

Ok, so when I turned out of BDDist this morning, it was so nice I just rode. Rode it 8mi, then stop and start around town, and at about 12mi, it didn't want to throttle up. When I actuated the throttle, the engine bogged down badly, sometimes stalling. With my old Leatherman, I could make simple adjustments, and pull off the muffler to check for restriction. Limped along with mostly leg power a couple more miles and there was BDDist again. The guy let me borrow a spark plug wrench, the plug was burning nicely. I pedeled another couple miles before the rear drive sprocket started making noise. The gearbox was sometimes dragging as I pedaled due to improper action of the sprocket. So I walked another couple miles until my buddy came and got me.

1) Gasbikes are freakin awsome!!! I drank the cool-aid ladies and gentlemen. I see no reason why I will not have one (or five) of these the rest of my life.
2) I have a clogged carb.
3) I have a loose rear sprocket.
4) I burned $1 of gas, and countless calories.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

1. Welcome to the frey!
2. After you clean the carb install a quality in line fuel filter before turning on the fuel.
3. Reinstall the sprocket bolts with a drop of Loc-Tite blue on the threads of each one.
4. Congratulations!

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013

This is the filter I have now. It has slightly less than 1gal thru it. I intend to install a Briggs and Stratton glass bowl filter (part # 690612).
Can't say why it clogged at that point. I had turned it on and off and rode it around alot.
I can't believe I forgot to Loctite the sprocket bolts! Think I was so full of myself for having put everything back together, it slipped my mind! :)

Attachments

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

Hmmmm....
Well you certainly have filtering covered.
A sediment bowl is a good idea with the ethanol blend gas we are given to burn these days. Some folks have gotten a surprising amount of water collected in those.

So full of yourself? Naaaa! You have done very good with this rebuild. Just think of those bolts as weeding out the last details... Of course the last details never seem to end with mechanical and cosmetic upgrades typically lingering in your mind.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013

Picked up the glass bowl today ($16) at a good local small engine shop. It is cool. It is not however, much of a filter. As you can see, I believe in good filtration. I intend to add a short/ small metal canister type filter to the inlet of this one.
Then I can sleep at night... of course there's still the spokes, and the tensioner, and...

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota

Thats not realy a filter its a sedelment bulb all the partecials setal in the bottom of the bowel. They have been used for years with good resalts, some of the newer one had eather a brass or fiber filter inside. If you have a store that sells Fram filters you should be able to find a small ellement that would fit inside up against the inlet hole, maybe with a small spring...........Curt

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013

Yes sir, it is. A lawn guy I know says he's had good luck with just these, and no other filter. I intend to be extra safe though.
I'm curious to see what the bowl captures out of pumpgas.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
I had it off the bike and rinsed it with petrol about 25 miles/ 5 days ago. Only took a cursory glance into the tank, but didn't notice any rust. That stuff sorta reminds me of clay dust... I need to take the bowl off and inspect it.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Trey I repaired a bike last month that had been in storage for three years. I removed the tank cleaned it with a solvent with a high flash point and fine gravel, I used about 32 ounces of solvent and a couple of cups of rocks then just put the cap on and shook it around. This has worked on old fuel tanks of cars I have restored, only is easier because it only take one person. The cap may leak a bit so hold the tank away from you.

Last edited: