finally building a BTR inspired motobike

GoldenMotor.com

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Yah! these bikes were pretty simple indeed, yers is going to be a bute if you just take yer time and think thing's through.

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
I'm definitely taking my time on this 1. Some of the bikes I've done In the past I rushed to finish just to have it done and cut corners, not this time though

tattoomark

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix AZ
Looking forward to seeing more from this build. Im also using a 49cc HS 4 stroke, but with a jackshaft/shifter kit. I've ran 49cc 4 strokes before and they make plenty of power and at lower rpm than the 2 strokes. I've had no issue cruising at 30mph up hills and from a stop.

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
How did you like your 49cc hua sheng? I've been trying to find a btr with that motor just to see what it'd look like but I haven't had any luck

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
so i spent the last couple of days hammering, applying bondo and sanding the gas tank:

after sanding it down, i decided to apply a coat of primer to better see any imperfections (its easier to see dings dents and bumps on a smooth monotone surface, there were still small dings and crevices all over so i sanded it and re applied primer a few more times. finally got it to where i am happy:

P.s the photos make the tank look warped and wabbley, that's not the case in real life, I'll try to get better pics when it's finished

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Thats a pretty DAMNN GOOD LOOK'N! Tank
Idon't mean to bust a bubble but Just remember dark colors show a mulitude of sins it does look good though and to distract the eye from imperfections you might consider a base color,mask off for pin strripes ,then paint your color of choice for the final top coat and use a decal/logo on the tank thats a bit larger in scale and size and you'll be amazed at how almost perfect the tank will look.
I was Talking to my Buddy Dan (Taylar Motorbikes) about how particular components on a bike either make it or break it as far as astetics and style is concerned and how careful you have to be not to over bling or go out side the authentisity of the time period when recreating a tribute bike, I've seen some absolutely mechanically superbly built bikes,with everything thought of during the fab but yet when all said and done it was astetics of the bikethat just were'nt to well thought out , just said to myself in my mind EHH!! but I'm kind of a perfectionist too! (LOL!), bottom line in yer case is it looks like yer going to do it right and are off to a better then average start, everything that you've got for the bike so far is top notch.

Last edited:

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
Thanks for the input truckd, all my builds so far ( with the exception of 1 ) were black so i know the importance of having everything flawless before painting. With that in mind I might go a different route, perhaps a glossy grey like an early pope motorcycle. I'm still not fully decided on the color and have been flip flopping back and forth a while

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Just my opinion but I'd go 3 color choices
1. an authenitic olive with burnt orange pinstripe (early Harley Theme)
2. DARK! DARK! Navy blue, NO! metal flake with Cream & Gold dual pinstripe (Reading Standard Theme)
3. Dark Burgandy with gold pinstripe (Dayton Theme)
Now I did see a restored Thor a few months back that was a Dark Navy Blue Matte with Matte Gold accents and rims, everything else was Nickle plated (now days chrome) it was just Bad Ass! and been on my mind a sincethen, in fact I've been heavily concidering that color scheme for my Sportsman Flyer.
Oh! by the way I like the pope color too as well as the Yale Grey BTR

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
Those all sound good, good thing I still have some ways to go before even considering the paint scheme, it'll give me some more time to decide

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Trying to make a bike an authentic tribute is a neat thing, but beyond my patience and budget. I love the board track racers, but I also like a lot of the early motorcycles which were not know for racing. They were bikes that got ridden as very cool transportation by regular people, so there were practical concessions like lights and brakes, even.

A couple of years ago I saw a photo Fasteddy sent me of an Indian tri-car and I fell in love I decided then that I wanted to do a tribute of a 1909 or so and started out with a Worksman Newsboy frame. As soon as I started considering what to use as a power plant the compromises began. I saw an Indian engine not even running on ebay listed for eight thousand which was about eight thousand dollars more than I could afford. So, you start making compromises and have to come to terms with reality.

You can do something that suggests one of the old classics and some here have done builds that are amazing in quality and at first glance fool you into thinking its the real deal, a Flying Merkel or whatever. That level of commitment, skill and investment is way beyond me. Same for most of us. So it is a matter of how closely one tries to go to the original inspiration.

Some do very little and yet call their builds board trackers. Flipping the handlebars on a cantilever framed Huffy with an Indian decal does not an Indian make in my estimation, although a person is free to do whatever they want. What I came to as a guiding principle is doing a build "in the spirit of". And I broadened my inspiration to early motorcycles of the early teens into the 1930's which left me a lot of leeway in choosing to go my own direction and use what I wanted that appealed to me as being "in the spirit of" an early tri-car. I call it an Indian Hiawatha even though there never was such a critter. It does have an Indian headbadge, 1939 Hiawatha fenders and a fender ornament that says "Hiawatha", and the engine is vintage, a 1934 Fitchel & Sachs 2 speed motorcycle engine. The headlight is from a who knows early German motorcycle... and so on. There is no particular historical machine it looks like, yet it does look pretty authentic as an old time motorcycle which is fine with me. I like it and I'm the one who needs to be pleased.

So what I'm suggesting is to free yourself up some and do things "in the spirit of" to give yourself some breathing room and allow innovation and changes in direction along the way in your build. It seems pretty clear that you have serious intent, are willing to be patient and are putting a lot of yourself into this build. It is going to be yours, unique and will turn heads. And someday it may get passed down to a son or daughter as a part of your family history. "My dad built that" will mean more than "it's supposed to look like a such and such year Indian". You're the one who's going to ride it. So long as it rings your bells, all is good.
Silverbear

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
You're absolutely right, I will by no means try to replicate any particular bike. For example, I'm planning on using a vintage tractor glassbowl filter, I haven't seen an actual motorcycle use on of those but they do look cool as heck. Can you post a pic of your build?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
My pleasure. It gives me a reason to go back and look at pictures of my bike. I'm sure nobody likes it better than I do.

Here's the build thread
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=32998
The earlier part of the build and original photos of Indian tri-cars are on another thread, Indian tadpole, which I share with Fasteddy who is also building an in the spirit of Indian tri-car, a 1903 camel back.

Photos show the Worksman newsboy frame modified so the engine would fit by removing the Worksman front down tube and welding in it's place the front down tube from a 1950's girl's Schwinn Corvette. Then the bike took a turn in another direction with the addition of 1939 Hawatha fenders and fender ornament. Next couple photos show the bike ready to run as a two wheeler and the last picture shows the tri-car front end in the process of being made. The bike is designed to be convertible from a two wheeler to the three wheeled tri-car. A leaf spring front fork is being made by Curtis Fox for when it is in two wheel mode.

The build is very much still in progress, but hopefully will be together as a tri-car this summer. Fasteddy has made the front seat springs and is working on the spindles now for both his camel back and my Hiawatha. Fun, but it has been a long haul with many miles yet to go before they are "done". Thanks for inviting me to share photos of a bike I really like. I doubt I'll ever sell it. I'd rather pass it down to my son when I'm too old to ride it anymore.
SB

Attachments

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
that is really neat, thank you for sharing. i really like the transmission and the glass bowl filter ( i mentioned it earlier ).

tattoomark

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix AZ
How did you like your 49cc hua sheng? I've been trying to find a btr with that motor just to see what it'd look like but I haven't had any luck
theres a youtube video of a guy that has two of them both with HS or maybe honda motors. Let me see if I can find the video. It doesn't show the bikes running or anything, but they both look absolutely STUNNING. This will be the first time ive put one in a board tracker style build, but ive ridden a cruiser that was powered with one and i was really impressed by it. Don't let the small displacement fool you, its a stout little motor and you'll get a ton of use out of it. They are more precision built than typical chinese motors I've seen. Most of the 2 strokes that i've used are 'force fit' in the factory, and just don't stand up over time without having to overhaul it, and that isn't always an option. but for the money, those HS's are great. My fist choice would have been a Morini motor, but the HS will be good and reliable for sure.

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
cool video, but i really dont like that plastic cover on the motor. im definitely planning on removing mine, maybe even shave down the shrouds for the pull start. theres someone on this forum who used a hua sheng and took the cover off, made the motor look way better:

tattoomark

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix AZ
cool video, but i really dont like that plastic cover on the motor. im definitely planning on removing mine, maybe even shave down the shrouds for the pull start. theres someone on this forum who used a hua sheng and took the cover off, made the motor look way better:

Agreed 100%. Im not sure if that cover is for cooling the cylinder or something, but it looks a million times better without it. My last one i didn't care what it looked like, but im thinking of doing that to my current one.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
An easy & Cheap fix for the shroud delima, get a shallow Stainless Steel salad or mixing bowl with the same outside diamater as the shroud bolts then cut some air slats(not to many!) most often you can find a variety of sizes and prices at the thrift store this would allow you to improove the Astetics and keep the extra air cooling force on the engine. Ichybeard has a friend who did something similar on a simplex with either a honda GC160 or GX212 can't remember wich but it looked Sweet and you couldn't tell it was either a shroud or salad bowl it just looked like part of the engine crank case and of course it was polished to a high luster.even if it didn't work out for you, whats the harm in adding an extra bowl to the kitchen or dog food bowl or vintage helmit. (LOL!)

When building a bike, alot of it is personnal taste goes into it but it is a good thing too when you have a format to work from as well, Kinda like gps a point to start from and a point to end up at, maybe you like a particular brand name vintage bike and told yourself well if I had it or was building I'd do this or that different, it's all good! when you achieve what you started out to do.

I think there are a lot of builders on this forum who can capture the true beautiful essence of a vintage bike with an engine in it (My Hats off to you all) weather Brand Name theme or out of their Imagination and I can't say it enough "A good Bike ain't cheap and a Cheap Bike aint good!" that don't mean you purchase thousands of dollars of parts,that just equals a high dollar bike but rather how the bike is built,quaility of the components,the effort to do it right and especially the way it looks at it's end result that to me is a good bike that wasn't cheap.

Last edited: