Making it up as I go

GoldenMotor.com

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
THANK YOU AWESOME!
Looks to me you used a bike shock with double springs,what weight springs did you use? The drawing show a friction shock how kool................Curt

Heretic

Mar 13, 2013
burlington vt
Turned every part to the shock on lathe, the springs are valve bridge springs from a locomotive head. I think that shock took the better of three weeks to make.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
OK thanks i will have to see what i can come up with.......no locomotives in my shop.......Curt

Maybe you could come up with a spring to go around a short strut that is used to hold up a trunk lid or hood of a car.............Just typing out loud....

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Typing out loud'Lol' I was thinking a full suspension bike shock. I do have a lathe and will come up with something.......THANKS................Curt

Heretic

Mar 13, 2013
burlington vt
I'd been thinking about a kickstart for a while and think I got in worked out.
Put a freewheel on the flywheel, with an extra sprocket geared to a third crank.

and thats what I came up with.

I have'nt tried to start the motor with it yet, little more welding to do first. Then I'll see if the gear ratio needs to be changed.....and I'm sure it will.

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Dude... are you one of those secret Genius guys ? that's Fantastic! "Making it as you go" Yah Right you've had this bike in your mind for a while haven't you, cause this bike has been well thought out, I'm just having a hard time excepting the fact that yer just winging it.

NICE JOB!

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
That video just reminded me that I've got an old 1930's Briggs 2hp washing machine motor with a kick starter (that runs, by the way) in storage at my folks house.......hmmmmmm.....thinking thoughts that would stumble empires.......

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Hey Heretic,

I am so glad you found this forum. If you had not, you would still be making all this awesome stuff, but none of us would get to see it and appreciate it.

I am in awe of your fabricating skills. I especially like your handlebar clamps made from 5/8" stock. Where do you even get 5/8" stock? I guess it helps to work in a locomotive shop.

What I also really dig about your builds is that even though you have high-caliber skills, your finished work does not look too machine made, or factory made. It still has a super cool hand-made-not-to-slick feeling to it.

As someone already said, you are an artist who makes functional machines. You should be very proud.

Thanks for the posts and pictures,

Gilbert

Heretic

Mar 13, 2013
burlington vt
It works out that most the equipment in the shop is about as old as the bikes we love. and despite the best effort still no bridgeport. so most parts are cut, ground, and filed. and I mean lots of filing. You need something to be
+or- .000deadnuts thats how I learned to do it. and how it used to be done, some of it anyway. And thank you.

Isaiah3g

Apr 11, 2011
Monroe,La
Really really sharp looking machine your building there. I love the small things that make the bike so different and, although small, make the bike stand out.
I do have a question, where di you get the pillar blocks, or did you make those too?

Heretic

Mar 13, 2013
burlington vt
Made those to.1/2 inch flat stock cut the OD of the bearing then made a notch in the side and drilled and taped from the top for a recessed allen bolt. The little holes around the sides just looked cool.

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Just checking in for an update on this build.

Its been a month, and I need more pictures.

Hope all is going well.

Gilbert