The Pennysworth model 1907

GoldenMotor.com

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Here's the newest build using my $80 home made jig. It's being done for a friend of mine, Mike. We started with the rear triangle & Head tube from a Murray MTB. The chain ring and crank were salvaged from a Strawberry shortcake kiddie bike.(found in the trash)Found a good set of 1940s schwinn pedals($2). We stretched her then sat her on 24in rims. She now has a 49 inch wheelbase.

Attachments

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Got what I thought was a good deal from a local bike shop, here in Osceola, The House of Bikes. 24 in steel rims with 12ga spokes and steel hubs, the rear has a shimano coaster brake. Less the 70 bucks, ordered a set of 26's cost less then 75$.

Attachments

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
It will get a 5hp Jacobsen 2-stroke. We will use either Hookworms or Bricks. We are hoping to keep it a small budget build. It will get a round copper fuel tank (made from copper pipe and end caps),copper fuel lines, tractor petcock w/glass bowl. We will also use copper washers and castle nuts. Thinking either black or a real dark midnight blue for the paint. Mike said he wanted to get every penny's worth out of his fuel, hense the name. I have a couple over sized novelty pennys (bout the size of a silver dollar) around here in one of these drawers. I'm going to form it around a piece of pipe and use it as a head badge.

Last edited:

Artificer161

Sep 17, 2012
South Eastern Michigan
Here's the newest build using my $80 home made jig. It's being done for a friend of mine, Mike. We started with the rear triangle & Head tube from a Murray MTB. The chain ring and crank were salvaged from a Strawberry shortcake kiddie bike.(found in the trash)Found a good set of 1940s schwinn pedals($2). We stretched her then sat her on 24in rims. She now has a 49 inch wheelbase.
Is the Jig you Speak of the first picture? Looks Cool where did you get the info on building the jig I would like to make one for myself. Bike looks sweet by the way cant wait to see it finished

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Ok did some more to the bike today put in the motor mounts,headlight and got the tail light bracket welded on. Really starting to take shape now. should be quick xct2 CCC, the Jacobsen is off a snowblower. It's 146cc 5hp needle bearings thru out. It uses a walbro carb, weighs under 10 lbs. Its 15 inches from tip of the plug to tip of carb (carb is on the bottom of the motor), just under 12 inches across(from pull start to tip of crank) and 8 inches wide. One of my bikes uses this motor 180mpg and 42 mph with a friction drive. The fella in the last pic is the enthusiastic owner

Attachments

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
I got the bicycle chain on the bike, took it fo a spin and it rides well. Also got the sprocket on the rear wheel, with no adapter, the rear hub was 1 7/16 inches OD so I turned a hole in the rear sprocket to match then slid it on and welded it in place once i made sude it was true. Got all the jackshaft parts in from agk ( fast and reliable service) and made the plate for it just got to weld it in place.

Attachments

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Rick,
Bike is looking really nice. Like the look on the owners face as he sits on the bike. He can see the board track stretched out before him and the field is all behind him and the race is his.

Steve.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Rick,
I'm getting interested in that engine. 146cc 2 stroke. Is that a slow revving engine or can it be wound out a bit? 5 hsp sounds promising. Living as I do in snow country I might be able to locate one of those on a dead snow blower. Are parts still available if one needs rebuilding? Wonder what it looks like without the tin work and pull start. Hmmm... If you happen to have another one let me know.
SB

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Rick,
I'm getting interested in that engine. 146cc 2 stroke. Is that a slow revving engine or can it be wound out a bit? 5 hsp sounds promising. Living as I do in snow country I might be able to locate one of those on a dead snow blower. Are parts still available if one needs rebuilding? Wonder what it looks like without the tin work and pull start. Hmmm... If you happen to have another one let me know.
SB
I am with SB on this one... Give it up...ever see one that is modified? You know me... Stock is not my style...

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
SB heres a pik of it with out the tins. I see you kept lookin for a few hours, they are cute compact little things. The powers that be except them as 49cc ers as well

Attachments

Last edited:

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
I believe its a jacobsen Ive come across 3 of these sno blowers 2 had what they called a power burst basically high idle 4800rpm verses 3600 on normal the 2 that have this are these round headed engines in the pik the other had this 4-5 hp sq headed tecumseh in the other pik that blower also had no power burst mode. , it replaced the 2hp that was on the bike in the pik origanally. when i took the first one in to get carb parts and some various gaskets. the tech called it a jacobsen so i simply assumed him to be correct the round headed engine has a very high domed piston the sq headed one has a flat top piston. I personally think with the right pipe this engine would turn 7-7500 rpm easily enough. Dont know if the flywheel would take the r's tho

Attachments

Last edited:

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
the 2 with the larger engines were 1980 model year snoblowers not sure on the other but all 3 were jacobsen's. As far as parts I was able to get everything for the carb as well as a head & exhaust gasket. The rest of them can be made rings are not available but Weisco makes a set that will work.

Last edited:

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
CCC heres another frame off the cheap jig. I was thinking bout using it for the Gravely Davidson But Id have to change the down tube need more room and the triple trees are just wrong. may just go with a HF 346cc. Ill start a new thread when I decide.

Attachments

Last edited: