Custom Frame for Board Track Thumper

GoldenMotor.com

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I received the new motor on Friday. It's an over-head- cam design. Looks real cool. I like the way it sits and the beauty of the horizontal intake and exhaust. I have already started the modifications and mocked it up in the frame.

I also made some more adjustments to the bottom bracket and mounted the frame in the jig, now the final part and time to complete the rear triangle. O what fun…

Attachments

Last edited:

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I completed the frame today and mocked up the forks and tires on it. This baby is long. I really wanted something that was not cramped to ride. I am pleased with the way it turned out. Now comes all the little details.

Looks like I have some room for some 24x4in tires on this bike

Attachments

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
UPDATE 5150:

I worked on the bike and finished all the welding; did it all with a mig welder...sure wish I could weld better...WTF...but the flap wheel grinder is my best friend...lol. The Brooks seat was my local 50.00 find that I have been saving for something like this.

I really like the way it turned out and what I have planned for the drive system will be simple and won’t be a CVT this time. This is going to be my cruiser..And plan on riding it to work all the time like CF.

My local bike shop is now carrying FELT parts and will give me the hook up so that cool...I am looking at a wheel set from them.

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Practice makes perfict. The problum with a hobby is you weld enough,its like every time you weld you have to learn all over. Best is to grab some scrap and do a little practice before the project.
AWESOME BIKE!!

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Practice makes perfict. The problum with a hobby is you weld enough,its like every time you weld you have to learn all over. Best is to grab some scrap and do a little practice before the project.
AWESOME BIKE!!
I used to live by a community college that had an excellent welding program. They offered a two year degree in welding technology and also had a shorter evening class for tig welding. Even my high school had an excellent metals shop. I think schools are closing those programs due to budget cuts. Take a class, weld every day, and your left with a lifetime of practical welding skills.

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
I used to live by a community college that had an excellent welding program. They offered a two year degree in welding technology and also had a shorter evening class for tig welding. Even my high school had an excellent metals shop. I think schools are closing those programs due to budget cuts. Take a class, weld every day, and your left with a lifetime of practical welding skills.
I think that's what I need to do one day.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Update: the bikes a rocker, roller, rider and a bad mother pucker...it’s long and very comfortable to ride. I wish I had more time to work on my projects and what is due to Venice MB, but things have changed for 8 weeks at work and I have to focus on that...

Next step is an order from AGK...

Attachments

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Abraham Linkage forks and a front disk brake. Cool. I have yet to ride a bike with those forks. How do you like them? Bummer how our day jobs cut into build time. As for Norm, well he is the only one of us building bikes full time and I see that Porsche sitting in his driveway. Living the life. First one of us to get a show on discovery channel building motorbikes wins!

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
This is the latest on the bike:

I have a little time now that I finshed the Dyno bike. I changed the tire combination...24in x 3in back and the normal size on the front. These are OEM Dyno flame tires which are cool.

I have alot of ideas for this bike and it will be a cruiser NOT a Racer....

Attachments

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Completed some more work on the bike this weekend. Made the motor mount; I am on this kick with aluminum now and want to make the most of it. The good thing is it's easy to cut and friendly to work with, it also helps to have a tig machine too.

I have attached photos of the process.

Attachments

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
After looking at the motor I feel it is not low enough in the fame. I am tempted to redo the plate and brackets to drop it 2 inches....What do the members think???? Help

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
thanks for showing the mounting brackets for the plate,,,
if it is dropped, how much will it effect pedal clearance ?

I do think it will help handling, center of gravity wise ;)

Last edited:

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
It looks pretty good where it's at, but with that nice drop loop, I would have set it lower myself, my reasons:

1. Lower center of gravity, you have a nice deep loop, you can park it in the basement with this frame.
2. Better chain angle to rear wheel, but it's hard to tell where you're at with chains from a picture. It my be just right where you're at.
3. Your pipe: it looks like your plan is come out above your CVT, that will put your muffler/tip a little high. A lower mount will make it easier to get a clean look at the rear.
4. You asked: And if you had to ask us, it's because you yourself are questioning whether you got it right. You're a builder and based on the quality of your builds you don't take short cuts, you want it perfect. If this isn't your version of perfect, then what the heck, do what you think needs to be done.

Before you put the motor in, the cavity looked pretty large, but you filled the hole pretty well. The bike has good balance, should ride great and the GC motors, with their flat mount, mount so much nicer than the GX and/or clone motors.

It's looking good, either where it's at, or a little lower. If you hadn't asked, I would have thought you had it about right. You done good.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Thanks Itchy...I have decided to drop the motor down some. Get it in the loop; I still have some issues with the drive system and may just have to jack shaft it and loose the CVT.

I have the templates ready and will cut the metal tomorrow...

Dam that garage is cold at night now...lol

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Dam that garage is cold at night now...lol
Yep, I hear those Southern California garages get pretty darn cold! You probably still keep your beer in the fridge all winter. Up here in Northern California we have to warm our beer up in the winter just to drink it......