PLEASE HELP, engage clutch, no rotation of sproket!

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If the key is stripped, and the chain installed the shaft will turn but the sprocket won't.
If I read it right, the sprocket is solid to the shaft...It won't turn at all unless the clutch is pulled in. When he tries to pedal start it, and releases the clutch, the bike just skids.

Chickenegg787

Jan 19, 2012
New York
It is not stripped. I have stripped many a bolts in my days, but this one is still clean threading with not frayed metal pieces or extra un natural ridges from new threading. The nut also can be put on and off easily on both sides.

Chickenegg787

Jan 19, 2012
New York
what if I added another small washer to the one already included so that the nut will lock down on it? Maybe that will help the drive sprocket rotate? Sorry for being so naive. . . but I guess that's why you guys are here to help! Thanks again.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Then I think you are just threading it passed the threads, and that is not part of the actual problem.
Take the plug out as suggested by Al Fisherman, and see if it turns over. (doubt it will) and while you have it out shoot some oil down in there, and see it if helps. Generally if you seize one of these it damages the cylinder and it done until you replace the jug and probably the piston.

Chickenegg787

Jan 19, 2012
New York
Ok, would you mind replying with a little bit more direct instructions on how do see if it turns over with the plug removed? I know Al Fish. explained, but I am still a little confused on how to do that. Thanks

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If you feel a little more adventurous, remove the head and have a look inside and see what the sides of the cylinder look like.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Remove the chain first, then the spark plug, then turn the magnet 14mm nut clockwise and see if the piston will move up and down (crankshaft rotating). Then tell us what happens. I may step away but will be back every few minutes. Like Bikeguy suggested, add come oil in the spark plug hole.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Nope....I was referring to the fact that he signed off and left us hanging after live help for 2 hours. ;)

Last edited: