almost ready to rev

GoldenMotor.com

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
As I near the end of the break in period on my bike I am excited about the idea of adjustments and tinkering so it can carry me up the big bridge to the mainland. lol I am confident it wont make it in its current set up. It made it over the Med incline bridge to the beach but I could tell its probably all shes got Scotty! There being a shortage of starship parts round here, I am curious if anyone has posted a list of engine performance tips or mods and the expected gains. Im also curious about an order of importance of these mods, ya know free first, purchased later. Ya know if I was gonna do this this is what I would do first, then sec etc.. Are there any books that describe the possibilities and how to do them, I need pictures and clear explanations, lol.
My goal is to have the power to climb but I dont want to use it irresponsibly, Im 42 so not looking to die anytime soon.

I have the 66cc grubee skyhawk with the cns carb. I am still searching these threads for the information, Just curious if its all in one post or if I am easter egg hunting?dance1

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
happy hunting... :)

it's all been posted before, but here's some tips to help you search...

free mods are port matching the exhaust and intake. this should be done to every china motor before you even put it on the bike.

lapping the head and trimming the intake side of the piston skirt are two more things you can do for free.

basic bike upkeep is also free, and easily overlooked. keep your tires inflated, your wheel bearings greased and cones tightened properly. you'd be surprised at how much a dragging wheel or low tire pressure can slow you down.

cheap mods are upgrading the plug and wire. NGK B6HS plug and a 7mm copper core plug wire are the most popular choices, and are arguably the best. for hot florida summers, a B7HS plug is a good choice.

i love opti 2 oil at 100:1 mix. it's magic stuff that actually works and can keep your bike running strong and clean. there's a 100+ page thread on it that's pretty entertaining.

dumping the problematic CNS carb for a trouble-free NT is another good upgrade, and the NT is cheap. the NT "speed" carb is even better. not too many people have had success with making the CNS perform properly.

drilling some holes in the stock air cleaner box is free, or upgrading to a better flowing air cleaner is usually recommended, too.

a lot of people will tell you to get an expansion chamber, and claim it's the best bolt on upgrade you can do. i disagree. my fastest bikes use modified stock exhausts. you can gut the internals of the stock pipe, and keep the end cap. it'll be a little louder, but not as loud as an x chamber. one of my bikes has a supertrapp muffler and that's faster than any of the factory chambers i've used.

for hills, the sbp shift kit might be the way to go. i've never used one, so i can't give an opinion on it.

then there's aftermarket heads. my opinion is if your head works, don't bother. there's problems with the factory slant heads warping, so this might be an option. my street bikes have the older, stock, straight plug heads, and i don't have any problems with them.

once you get into mikuni or dellorto carbs, custom heads, shaving piston crowns, truing cranks, upgrading bearings, reed valves, and other costly, time consuming mods, you're getting into the territory of race bikes, and while this stuff may work, you'll find yourself working on your bike more than you're riding it...

good luck.

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
these things are a little bit here and there.
1 - first thing is setup ur carb when u change ur mix after breakin. so its running correctly.
2 - port and polishing the intake and exhaust ports. you can do this manually and use the china hardware, or there is options to buy on a few different sites.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=16646
3 - if u havnt already, get a better chain than the 410/415. personally i have the 41.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=32183
4- get rid of the stock tensioner.
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...7&ss=2024j625344j11#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=tensioner
5 - drill or cut the stock muffler, some ppl are against it. some ppl for it. others would just say to get a new muffler. there is threads around here for that aswell.

im sure that there is more, but thats whats on top of my head at the moment.

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
yeah, terms like Lapping and Port Matching are foreign to me. Im def gonna take your advice though, I appreciate it. I also read a thread about timing adjustments, seems straight forward enough but Im not skilled enough yet to understand these things. I remember using a timing light growing up on my VW engine. Have you messed with the timing on yours?

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
yeah, terms like Lapping and Port Matching are foreign to me. Im def gonna take your advice though, I appreciate it. I also read a thread about timing adjustments, seems straight forward enough but Im not skilled enough yet to understand these things. I remember using a timing light growing up on my VW engine. Have you messed with the timing on yours?
that type of timing is non-existant on these little 2stokes. the timing is inside the CDI unit, and can really only be modified by building a new one. but there is a thread around, for changing timing via the magneto magnet.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
i wouldn't bother with the timing. i never do, and i never needed to. the performance gains are minimal, and people i know who've done it have never convinced me it actually works.

port matching simply means to make the holes match up. if you look at your intake manifold, there's a dime sized hole where it mates to the large rectangular hole on the engine. same with the exhaust.

you want to grind the intake manifold and the exhaust flange holes to match the ports on the engine. you can't usually get them exact because there's not enough material on the flanges, but get them as close as you can.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
lapping the head means shaving off a few millimeters at the mounting surface for higher compression.

this is best done on a mill, but for us low-budget mechanics, a piece of wet sandpaper taped to a piece of glass works fine.

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
Im definately gonna keep a record of what I do and measure the differences. How is the best way to do this? How would I measure RPMs for instance? I have a book on motorcycle repair and maintenance, also a book on small engine repair that covers lawn mower type engines.

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
Wild Bill- those are def on my list of to buy items, unfortunately that list is a ways away from financing. Here is what I have learned so far from the suggestions and from the subsequent reading that Ive done. The airflow gas oil mix through the engine has the same properties as a liquid. Only so much mass can occupy any given space at any given time and failure to expell everything from the ignition means less can occupy the next go round. I know its probably an over simplification.

Therefore in order of importance of free things to do I think the most important is to work on flow. So port matching and surface area milling are my top priority of things to do next couple of weekends. As was mentioned I will do this one at a time so proper diagnosis can be had. The next thing is gonna be carb tuning at the mid to 2/3 throttle level, I havent figured out which one yet but I believe I am gonna have to adjust one space richer to compensate for the increased air flow. then its the Muffler adjustment.
One question I do have is that nobody mentioned removing the alluminum cap from the air adjuster screw and tinkering with that...any thoughts on that? (other than its illegal)

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
All the changes you make will effect the carb tuning so if you dont do the carb last you will have to at least check the carb tuning after other changes, especially the exhaust.

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
You are right about that! But, If I want the max benefit of each mod dont I have to check the carb tuning each time anyways? I mean its just moving that little clip after looking at the spark plug right?

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
mounting surface? lol, Im so green. Perhaps there is a small engine coloring book I could use. lol.
These cheap china kits are a GREAT way to learn the care and feeding of a ring-dinger. The same principles apply to ANY piston port two stroke, from tiny rc engines, up to open class motocrossers.
My advice would be:
1: match the stock ports and trim the piston.
2: Gut the stock pipe for better flow or get a expansion chamber pipe.
3: High compression head (threads in here about several, including my choice, the puch70cc moped head)
4: modified cylinder with agressive port timing and reed block modification.
All these work to improve power, usually at the expense of reliability. #4 is really out of the realm of daily use rides once you get to this level.
The first three can be done easily on a budget if you shop around. There is enough info in this forum to help you decide what works for your needs.

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
The first ive heard of trim the piston.....do tell?

Im gutting the stock pipe and doing the matching etc for sure.
the last two have to wait for finances to catch up. lol. Im just going up a steep incline, no intention to race the thing. lol. Although we have a nice park with a bmx style dirt track that it might be fun to race motorized bicycles on!
appreciate your advice! I love this Forums members!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The first ive heard of trim the piston.....do tell?

Im gutting the stock pipe and doing the matching etc for sure.
the last two have to wait for finances to catch up. lol. Im just going up a steep incline, no intention to race the thing. lol. Although we have a nice park with a bmx style dirt track that it might be fun to race motorized bicycles on!
appreciate your advice! I love this Forums members!
Some kits have the intake port partially blocked by the piston skirt when it's at top dead center.
Look down the intake while turning the motor and you will see the skirt blocking the port.
Trimming the skirt to match the port can help power and possibly improve vibration a bit due to better balance.