Oil coming out from spark plug

GoldenMotor.com

ballinchestr

Mar 6, 2014
Central MA
Oil slowly leaks out from the plug. I know it isn't the gasket because it drips down the fins of the head above the gasket.

I would immediately question the integrity of the spark plug threads. I removed and replaced the spark plug many times during the bike's construction.

I know new cylinder heads are cheap, but I can't find a 49cc one. do the 66cc heads work on the 49cc engine?

Thanks

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you are one of those who have the kit instructions that tell you to "finger tighten the spark plug", that's your problem. The plug needs to be a lot tighter than 'finger tight'.
If you have access to a torque wrench then tighten the plug to 60 to 80 inch pounds. If you don't have a torque wrench, or can't borrow one, buy one. It will pay for itself soon.

If the plug has been torqued numerous times then the plug gasket might be deformed and not sealing correctly. New spark plug gaskets can be purchased from a good auto parts store.

There is also a possibilty that you have a defective cylinder head and there is a crack in the head in the plug threads. In that case you'll need a new head. Nothing else will repair it. Don't even think of using JB Weld or any epoxy based repair. It won't work.

Tom

Reactions: Donnyten

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
I seen this twice before on bolth my dax motors.

Bolth dax motors i bought the head had verry loos plug threads one was soo bad i couldnt even use it!
The other was good after i wrapped the plug with a thin layer of plumbers tape and indexed the plug tlwith a thin copper washer

my advice is to toss that shiat in the scrap aluminum pile and order yourself a puch 70hi hi you will be blown away by the differance

Redbiker

Jun 21, 2014
Michigan
This just happened to me and it was a crack in the head cover all the way to sparkplug. Kind of hard to see also

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I solved that "oil seeping around the plug" problem by installing a name brand spark plug, like NGK, Denso, etc. The mainland China made spark plug isn't machined as precisely as the name brand plugs. Some thread lock may help until you get a name brand plug.