"I'm on the road again..."

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
...sings Mr. Willie Nelson and I sing along even though I'm not on the road again quite yet. (Not to brag, but I have sung in public showers across the country and can hum in both Ojibwe and English!) Anyway, I'm a big step closer to being on the road again since I now have my new to me 87 Jeep Cherokee delivered by the seller today and now in my possession sitting just a few yards away from my old trailer. Compared to the 51 Spartan I'm living in, why that Cherokee is practically brand new! I do like it. On Monday morning I proceed with stage 2 which is getting title and tags. I'll be sending a fax of the title to my hometown license bureau Monday morning. In turn they will fax me a title application form and a bill for what the new title and tags will cost... I'll dash over to the post office and mail the original title, the application and a check and then wait for the temporary title and tags to arrive. I'm hoping they come Friday or Saturday, but whenever they come I will leave the following morning... Hmmm, maybe not if it is a Sunday. I'll also pick up my flat rate shipping boxes for packing up parts, surviving tools and possessions, which is stage three. Stage four is start your engines, gentlemen and dogs and blast off down that 1300 mile track.
I spent several hours today stripping parts down off of the bikes and am only taking parts, no frames. I'll have enough to do this summer cleaning up my tools and fooling with the three frames in Minnesota. I want to focus on that Firebird build. I made a few interesting discoveries regarding tools. All of the vice grips need new springs as they lost their tension from the heat of the fire (anyone reading this who does not know, I recently had my truck burn up with tools and bikes in it) and there is one tool which actually works better now. I have a variable speed dremel moto tool (Model 395 Type 3) which I thought was wrecked. The plastic case holding it & bits & such was largely melted and charred. I pried it open and discovered that the attachments are mostly good, but the rotary tool itself was almost black with soot and the power cord was partly melted. No exposed wires though so I plugged it in just for the heck of it. Surprise, it not only runs, but now the variable speed switch works and it hasn't in a long time... it was full speed or nothing. Works perfectly now. So if your variable speed switch goes bad on you now you know how to fix it. Just burn the whole kit until it is a nice soft black color.
I apologize for the abrupt end to the Fire thread. I'm still nervous about the trip and will be until I actually get there, but did not want to ask too much. I've already said my thanks, but keep thinking it every time I think look at the truck. Moosh sat in it today, not going anywhere, but riding shotgun anyway and checking the window for visibility. I think she approves. I know I do. I'll check back in when there's something to report. G'night...
SB

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
SB one step at a time will eventually take you around the world. Or wherever you want to go. Hang in there.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Question o any of the former or current Cherokee owners. I have an 87 4.0 with an automatic. I'm trying to calculate gas mileage for this trip for budget purposes. Someone said it is kind of a piggy in town, but much better on the highway. What can I expect? A little drag on the roof, but not much, not a terribly heavy load inside, but some tools, maybe 2-3 hundred pounds of cargo, 200 pound driver, shotgun passenger weighs maybe 30 pounds. I'll be going 1300 miles, almost all of it highway. I'm in the mountains of northern Maryland, but generally will descend into Ohio and for the most part flat lands until I'm almost home with a gradual incline in sea level once in Minnesota. Just guessing to ease my mind. Thanks.
SB

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
I got 20+mpg on freeway, I tried to keep it at 70 because she handled best there. In town I was lucky to get 13 she's really low geared in 1st and 2nd.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I got 20+mpg on freeway, I tried to keep it at 70 because she handled best there. In town I was lucky to get 13 she's really low geared in 1st and 2nd.
Hey Terron,
So yours was a manual transmission? Actually I wish this was. I'd also prefer it if the windows were manual instead of electric, although they work now anyway. But as the Irish say, "It is what it is". and so long as it gets me home I'll be happy with it. 20 isn't bad at all. I can live with that. Some years back I picked up a 26 foot abused Airstream trailer and found a retired E350 Ford ambulance to use as a tow rig. It had lots of power and did a good job until the gas prices went crazy. Miss Piggy was a thirsty girl and never saw a gas station she didn't like. On a good day she got seven or eight mpg. The rest of the time it was maybe six. She was killing me. After paying $1300.00 to drive 1300 miles I finally gave it away even though it ran great. At the time nobody wanted it in spite of being in good condition and so it went for scrap. Poor Miss Piggy. If you wanta drive then don't drink too much. I tried to tell her. Thanks, Bud.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Just wanted to give a little update here...On Monday I faxed the title to my local licensing bureau in Minnesota and on Tuesday the title application and bill for tags and title was sent out to me. When it arrives hopefully on Friday I'll send the original title, the title application and a check back to the licensing bureau, the await the tags in the mail. Hurry up and wait. It is hot here today. If I were home I'd cool off in the lake. This does give me time for cleaning up parts and tools before packing them for the trip and also some time to work in the garden of the person I caretake for, so that's good for the gas fund. I hope everybody is out riding their bikes these days. Pretty soon I will be, too.
SB

turtle tedd

Jul 18, 2009
florida
My 95 and 96 Cherokees average 16 mpg for many years..loaded or onloaded on the highway or not..ac on or not . They are both automatic ,4.0 six cylinders..70MPH is the perfect highway speed ..leadfooting these around town will drop mpg more than other trucks I have owned..these things are bulletproof and will last for ever..I will not own anything else but a 96 or earlier Jeep Cherokee from now on

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Turtle Tedd,
I suspect the 20 mpg is with a manual transmission. I did get an email from the former owner about mileage and he said he averaged 17 to 18 mpg when he checked it. As the Irish saying goes, "It is what it is". If also bulletproof and can give good service for years, that's more than I could ask from a 23 year old thousand dollar vehicle. As long as I get home I'm happy.
I see you live in Florida... I don't know how people in the south handle the heat. It was 90 here in Maryland yesterday and I thought I would melt and Moosh stayed under the trailer. Where I live in northern Minnesota most people do not have air conditioning and we consider 85 "too hot". Many years ago when my kids were kids we visited my folks in Florida for their fiftieth wedding anniversary... boarded the plane in Duluth on a cool morning in July with light fall jackets on and stepped out of the plane in Tampa into a steaming sauna. My kids had never experienced anything like it dashing from one air conditioned environment to another for the next week. It must be nice in the winter, though, bike riding in December.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
sb, if you can make it to ohio on june 5th you can come to our bike show and race, also could use it as a camp over spot.
Wouldn't that be fun! It might actually work for me since I think the tags should arrive maybe a day or two before. Where is it? I don't know about the racing part, but it would sure be fun to go for a ride and meet people, look at bikes, smell gasoline and all of it. Woohoo!
SB

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Yes it was automatic, I would have prefered the manual actually, because then I could've saved gas in town!
I used to have a sweet hotrod/sleeper car 82 Monte Carlo big block 400, auto trans w/ stage 2 shift kit out of a friends new corvette because he wanted a manual. Funnest car I have driven but.......6 mpg.......when fuel hit 5 bucks a gallon I couldn't afford to do anything so it sat and I sold it.

James the welder

Mar 24, 2010
Tempe AZ
Turtle Tedd,
I suspect the 20 mpg is with a manual transmission. I did get an email from the former owner about mileage and he said he averaged 17 to 18 mpg when he checked it. As the Irish saying goes, "It is what it is". If also bulletproof and can give good service for years, that's more than I could ask from a 23 year old thousand dollar vehicle. As long as I get home I'm happy.
I see you live in Florida... I don't know how people in the south handle the heat. It was 90 here in Maryland yesterday and I thought I would melt and Moosh stayed under the trailer. Where I live in northern Minnesota most people do not have air conditioning and we consider 85 "too hot". Many years ago when my kids were kids we visited my folks in Florida for their fiftieth wedding anniversary... boarded the plane in Duluth on a cool morning in July with light fall jackets on and stepped out of the plane in Tampa into a steaming sauna. My kids had never experienced anything like it dashing from one air conditioned environment to another for the next week. It must be nice in the winter, though, bike riding in December.
SB
You would love Arizona in the summer. Its a dry heat Just dont stop or your tires will stick to the ground laff

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
James,
About four years ago I spent a winter in Tucson, got there in November and loved Christmas in a pair of shorts and no snow. January was terrific and I rode my motorbicycle around but never saw another rider. I didn't know then that it is like a hotbed of motorized bikes. I even went to Bisbee and didn't know about Spookytooth. By April I was getting hot and made my escape in the nick of time in May. By June I would have either melted or self combusted. Jeez, Louise, that is some kind of hot. I enjoyed the high desert landscape for awhile but it seemed like almost all the plant life drew blood and no wild life. I was pretty homesick by the time I was back in the Midwest and was never so glad to see the lake country of Minnesota... water, water, everywhere! I'm glad I went as it is something I wanted to see from the time I a kid watching cowboy movies, but I also doubt I'll ever be back. I know where home is.
SB

James the welder

Mar 24, 2010
Tempe AZ
I grew up in Los Angeles born and raised city boy and AZ aint much diferent. Just less traffic. Spent a lot of time in Durango Col. where my dad used to live. Use to ride road bikes all over that place(no motor)back in the day. I could live there easy if there was work. I have never been to the north east of the U S and it would be a different world for me but would love to visit some day. I dont know how long it will take you get home but if you can get to a computer and give an up date on your progress along the way to make sure you an moosher are ok. DOGS RULE I am so glad we could all help you out in your time of need. Have a safe trip home.........................James

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Camlifter,
What time do people start showing up at the race/show in Carrothers Ohio? I see that depending on which route I take from Thurmont, Maryland I have around 400 miles with an estimated travel time of over seven hours. My title application arrived today so I was able to get it, the title and payment back in the mail right away. Even so it will not arrive in northeastern Minnesota until Tuesday since Monday there is no mail delivery. I've asked that the licensing bureau send it out on Tuesday if possible. With luck it will arrive early in the afternoon on Friday. I could leave as soon as I have tags on it and get there in the late evening Friday night if people are already there camping. Or I can dawdle along the way, snoozing at rest stops or a Walmart and arrive in the early morning Saturday. If the tags don't arrive until Saturday then I will pretty much miss it, but if you and others are still there into Sunday I could still meet some of you and look at all the tire marks in the race track. Not quite as good, but better than nothing. When do you figure on leaving there to go home? Something will work out, but I'm programming for the tags to arrive on Friday.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
James and anyone else who finds their way to northeastern Minnesota this summer. Please PM me if you're going to be in the area as I'd like to meet up with forum members for sure. Great riding around where I live (between Tower & Ely right next to Bearhead State Park, a beautiful park on Bearhead Lake. Ely is the jump off point for the million acre boundary waters canoe area wilderness. Lake after lake after lake... unbelievable. Bring your canoe and your bike, too. No, I don't work for the chamber of commerce. Winter in Minnesota is the pits, Zazu, but summer is something else.
SB