Roll your own Magneto (stator)

GoldenMotor.com

impression

Feb 26, 2009
Syadney,Australia
well, after doing my own CDI i was wondering whether i could wind my own Magneto to give me stable voltages at the level i wanted for both the blue and white wire :)

now, we all know that there's different wire thicknesses and they do affect the outcome. so here's a table to convert

http://motorbicycling.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40668&stc=1&d=1317566210

and here is my plan so far.

white wire = 7.2v @ 6000rpm
Blue wire = 100v @ 6000rpm

just doing some research as to what gauge, how many turns :)

impression

Feb 26, 2009
Syadney,Australia
ok. back.

original white wire = 15.81 metres length @ 3.5 ohm resistance. pretty bad :(

original blue = unknown. i had to destroy it to get it off... so much resin :(

Last edited:

impression

Feb 26, 2009
Syadney,Australia
ok so I've got some progress.

White wire is complete @ the following

No. of turns 220
Resistance 1.9 Ohms

pics time

Pics not uploading at the moment. will upload them later today... I have more pics of progress but uploader is being temprimental :(

Attachments

Last edited:

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
Very interesting! The concept of the magneto is very simple, so it should be possible to build your own. I'll definitely be checking back here.

Ratchetbirds

Jun 12, 2011
Eastern Wash.
ok so I've got some progress.

White wire is complete @ the following

No. of turns 220
Resistance 1.9 Ohms

pics time

Pics not uploading at the moment. will upload them later today... I have more pics of progress but uploader is being temprimental :(
Nice shields. I like seeing a second take on winding the magneto, And I appreciate the info you have given me.

Edit: Oooohhhh, new thought. I will need to search here to see if anyone has modified a magnet. Stronger magnet = more power.

Last edited:

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
what would probably also help is to have the rotor be more magnetised.
my father & grandfather's speciality was rebuilding mags for ww2 planes.
my dad said when they had a mag that was built well but still making a weak spark, they would just put it on the magnaflux machine.
which is a machine that magnetised parts to be inspected for cracks.
another option would be to inset neodymium magnets.
it think that would work best with one of the adjustable rotor since the field might be off.

Ratchetbirds

Jun 12, 2011
Eastern Wash.
what would probably also help is to have the rotor be more magnetised.
my father & grandfather's speciality was rebuilding mags for ww2 planes.
my dad said when they had a mag that was built well but still making a weak spark, they would just put it on the magnaflux machine.
which is a machine that magnetised parts to be inspected for cracks.
another option would be to inset neodymium magnets.
it think that would work best with one of the adjustable rotor since the field might be off.
Yes! I used to race slot cars and we would boost our magnets on a magnaflux type machine. My thoughts are leaning towards making a new rotor out of aluminum and inserting neonidium magnets in it. Or I could still use the stacked steel plates of an OEM rotor after taking it apart so as to be able to modify the plates to add the magnets. The steel plates with the magnets would work the best of both ideas, IMHO. Now we are getting somewhere. <G>

Ratchetbirds

Jun 12, 2011
Eastern Wash.
Hey Impression,

Did you actually hand wind the blue windings on that mag? You are an animal! No way in heck am I going to wind it all by hand. I just bought a small electronic counter to count the turns for me, just need to trip a simple switch every rotation. I am going to tack weld a small shaft on the side of my mag housing inline with the winding area. Then I can chuck it up in my drill motor and spin it. I'll post some pics when I get there.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
i may finally have a paying job next week.
then i will see how much the local place will charge to rewind & see if they can do a bulk discount.
then i would be glad to take in people's old mags.
i won't charge anything my self except what it cost to ship back..

impression

Feb 26, 2009
Syadney,Australia
i haven't done the blue wire yet as i've been too busy to get to the electronic store, yet alone spend a few hours winding :p

I did do the 'white wire' windings by hand though :)

impression

Feb 26, 2009
Syadney,Australia
currently unwinding a Rock Solid Stator :)

I'm curious as to how many winds they did as it's the best performing stators i've had and by the looks of it it was made in-house :)

Ratchetbirds

Jun 12, 2011
Eastern Wash.
Okay, pics now. Actually used a metal lathe instead of my hand drill to wind her. Too much wobble in the hand drill.

Pic 1: Wire holder lower left, magneto is in center of pic with spindle that was tig welded on as close to center as possible. Upper right is the Rube Goldberg, winder-counting, whizbang device. High quality rough-cut lumber with nails and rubber bands holding the counter and battery, Switch from a Tweco wire feed whip.

Pic 2: 239 winds into the job. Going smoother and decided to double spindle speed from 200 to 400. Soon thereafter I ran it at 1140 rpm. Still easy to control.

Pic 3: Heartbreak at 1254 winds. Wire broke. tested Ohms to 250...wayyy too low, won't fly. Must redo. Now I may be wrong but I really don't think I will be able to put 3500 winds onto this mag frame. I may get 3000, but no promises.

Attachments