BoXer Race Bicycle transformation!!!!!

GoldenMotor.com

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
I got my rear rim yesterday from Cycles US and I have to say I was disappointed in the quality of the rim. It had a seam line and it seems flimsy. Does anyone know of a good maker that makes a wide 2.5" 24" rim with 36 holes.
A lil pricey, but what I here from everyone its a good set ideal for motorizing... Tripled walled and non sleeved spoke holes so that you can use thicker spokes easily

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=51028

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Thanks Ocho but I couldn't find a 2.5" wide rim on this site. However, I did see some cool tires I like. I think I'm going to use the rim I have already since I don't plan on riding the bike too hard.
When my kit comes in, I plan on taking it to Chuck at Bicycle Express to respoke the wider rim on my MP3. You probably know him. He's the only bicycle shop owner who loves and has a bunch of Motorized bicycles.

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Yea those large marge rims are one of a kind...Why do you need them so wide?

Yea i know chuck, great guy, he knows what it takes to build a motorized bike rim... He has built three of my rear wheels and i have had no problems with them so far. And he has a great collection of them.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
i am with you easy rider. i like big rims and big rubber on my motorized bicycles
It's definitely smoothes out the bumps with the big fat tires and the shock DMB gave me. Even when I lock out the rear shock, it's still like riding on air!!!

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Today I decided to use both head lamps and bought the bracket to mount them. I trimmed up the T bracket so the lights can be as far back as possible. This is how it came out. Hopefully I can light up the streets at night.

Attachments

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
looks great. if they are cree lights like i have they are actually brighter then my car headlights. i think you are going to be real happy with them

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
looks great. if they are cree lights like i have they are actually brighter then my car headlights. i think you are going to be real happy with them
Yes there are the same lights you're using. I was impressed with Mike's pictures that's why I bought these ones.
Paul, did you hook it up to your 48volt battery or are you running a separate power supply?
Also how did you wire them and where did you put your switch?

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
mine came with a rechargable battery and i run it off that. i want every mile i can get off my big battery

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I'm going to run the lights off my big battery first to see how many miles I lose with both of them on. If its too many miles, then I have a small 12 volt battery that I used for my wet nitrous set up that I can use.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
1 light draws a little less than a quarter amp at 53 volts. I think I measured 210 mA. So, if you leave it on for 4 hours, you will use ~1 AH.

One is plenty bright enough.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I just back from a bike ride with my boys and used a 12volt jumper box for my lights and they were really really really bright! I didn't use a switch so I couldn't turn them off. As we were riding through the park, my neighbors kept turning around with that look of a car or something big was going to run them over.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
The battery was a little bigger than I thought but I'm postive Dean will make it fit and fit nice!
48V 20Ah 38120 LiFePO4 Battery 32 Cells 2P16S EBike Battery Pack

Attachments

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I got a little bored while watching Mystery Diners so I tried to lace up the rim myself. It was pretty easy but I'm going to let Dean true the rim for me.

Attachments

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I figured out most of the wiring except for three things:
The wiring that is at 11 o'clock and the dealeo that is at 4 o'clock.
Does anyone know where the 4 strand wire s hook up to?
and what is the thing that is at 4 o'clock? It looks like a horn.

Attachments