average fuel mileage of chinese 2 strokes

GoldenMotor.com

thunderkiller

Jun 16, 2010
Turkey
When I ask the seller before buying the kit, he told me about 70km/liter = 212mpg.

But on first two tanks I could just make the half of it.
I know fuel consumption will decrease after break-in of engine but not more than 10%.

What is your average mileages?

Jun 7, 2010
on a bike
You might be running to rich? What is the color of your plug? It should be brown not black. (not black like mine lol)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Thunder - I dunno who toldja a 10% reduction in fuel consumption after break in & I can't swear to it*... but I'd say that's a conservative estimate at best. All the HTs I've dealt with GOBBLED fuel madly for at least the first 3 tank fulls, then tapered off slowly as the engine broke in and was dialed in for proper fuel/air/oil mix etc. As a rough example, if a 2 stroke is running rough & "4 stroking" (common w/new & untuned motors), it's firing every other stroke... wouldn't that be a roughly 50% loss?

It's a touch more complex than that also - just like with cars where even "little" things like driving with the windows down will have an impact on efficiency, so too our motorized bikes are heavily effected by other variables like riding style, gearing, weight, drag (tires, bearings, chains), environment (hilly, rough), etc.

The smaller the engine - the more profound the effect, but as both bairdco & mountain demonstrated, stock engines fair the worst with "tuned, performance" engines getting far better mileage even if ridden hard (baird's ain't stock BTW lol).

Part of the problem with factory stock is poorly matched gaskets, manifolds & ports - I'd strongly suggest at least matching the gaskets if nothing else & alla that stuff can be found here: http://motorbicycling.com/f13/basic-porting-16646.html

*"can't swear to it" = I've never actually bothered to figure my exact fuel consumption, just trips to get more gas. Getting two gallons at a time a new engine will need another trip about once a week, whereas a nicely tuned & broken in one requires about two gallons a month for me (daily drivers/commuters)... so very roughly - it's 1/4th the consumption over stock/untuned or a 75% increase in efficiency... ofc there's a ton of variables but still, it's a pretty good demo - even 1/2 that is far more than "10%" ;)

Last edited:

twebster321

Jan 23, 2011
Central, FL
Hey - can you tell me how much one would expect to pay someone to punch & port?

I guess you need to take this to a shop... any recommendations (any small engine repair or other kind of machine shop)?

Thanks!

-TW

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
I get about 65-70 after upjetting, running 36T and a low restriction exhaust. I gotta pick up a gallon tank and actually test it out.