Felt Cruiser Build......not for cruising

GoldenMotor.com

bajaracer1

Jul 11, 2012
Encino ca.
hey Scotto, i have some questions:

how much does your bike shake, due to the engine?

what front suspension do you have? and did you have to modify the bike to make it fit? reason i'm asking is because most cruisers have 1 inch diameter fork and mountain bike forks usually have 1 1/8 diameter fork. so how did you get it to fit? or did you get lucky and find a cruiser with a 1 1/8 dia. fork?

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
hey Scotto, i have some questions:

how much does your bike shake, due to the engine?

what front suspension do you have? and did you have to modify the bike to make it fit? reason i'm asking is because most cruisers have 1 inch diameter fork and mountain bike forks usually have 1 1/8 diameter fork. so how did you get it to fit? or did you get lucky and find a cruiser with a 1 1/8 dia. fork?
Well then, here's your answers. The bike doesn't shake much at all, you get a bit of vibration but no more than your typical 2-stroke.

For the front suspension I mounted an SR Suntour XCR with 1-1/8" threadless headset. The fork has magnesium lower legs and full lock-out capability.....a good fork for how cheap it was at $114.

I guess you could say I got lucky finding a cruiser with a 1-1/8" head tube, but I did my homework when shopping for a worthy frame. Not one single modification has been done to the frame at all.......a perfect fit all the way around.

dnut

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Hey scotto where did u purchase your tensioner also I am getting to mount my motor doeees the mount needs to be level
Which tensioner are you referring to? I don't think I'm using any tensioners on it?

Your engine mount can be level, but I don't think it is absolutley neccesary. I mounted mine like this:

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/535/img0474tb.jpg/]
[/URL]

dnut

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
the tensioner its on page 4 i was just curious on how yours work once again thank u
Whoops.....sorry man, you are absolutely right. That was a chain tensioner I made using some 1/4" 6061 T6 aluminum, electrical ground clamps and a gutted 11t freewheel sprocket from a 4G kit. It works very well although I haven't used it for sometime. I only use it when all the chains aren't getting along together ;)

dnut

Last edited:

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
any thing to get a edge. back in the early nascar days a so.cal driver named Clem Procter was tearing up the tracks. seemed he had the power to pass at any time. unlike today [complete teardown's] they used a device to check the volume of a motor that went into the spark plug hole to give the size of the motor. well clem's spark plugs were all covered by the headers except the front two. well old clem had a stock stroke on the first two piston's but the other six had 1/2 inch strokers. he took that money he won that year and opened a bar in bellflower ca. and had that crank on the wall after he was caught and banned! R.I.P. Clem! dennis

Last edited:

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
any thing to get a edge. back in the early nascar days a so.cal driver named Clem Procter was tearing up the tracks. seemed he had the power to pass at any time. unlike today [complete teardown's] they used a device to check the volume of a motor that went into the spark plug hole to give the size of the motor. well clem's spark plugs were all covered by the headers except the front two. well old clem had a stock stroke on the first two piston's but the other six had 1/2 inch strokers. he took that money he won that year and opened a bar in bellflower ca. and had that crank on the wall after he was caught and banned! R.I.P. Clem! dennis
Great story Dennis, that's awesome!

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Well I just gotta say that race bikes are the type of build that are never ending. It's really fun in some ways but at times it becomes very taxing.....there is always something to do on the bikes before it's ready for the next race. And sometimes when it rains, it pours.

After Baird's last race at Adams, I broke my exhaust to the point that I need to build a new one. OK, no big deal right? Then I tear into the bike a bit and find that the CVT driver sheared the end of the keyway on the crankshaft. That's not a good thing and definetly needs to be addressed if I'm gonna put the CVT back on it. Then I notice the motor mounting plate is broken. Not a real good thing either and needs to be addressed as well. Rear sprocket is a bit loose, broke 1 of 48 spokes on the rear wheel, oil needs changing already and on and on.

I'd better stop typing and get to work on it already.......8 days till the next race!

Here's a few pics for fun......

sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground...........oh I've seen fire and I've seen rain.......you know the rest.....

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
it seems like the cvt is constantly giving you problems huh?
You could say it's thrown me many curve balls in the last year.....I still like the performance it offers when it's dialed in and not acting up.

ATM I'm going with a cheap experiment to make it to the next race on Aug. 5th. I've still got plenty to do before it's track worthy once again but once it's done, no more Mr. Nice Guy.

Here's a few pics of the progress......

See yas at the track.......#3

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Maaaan, I wish I had the space for my jackshaft like you have. Room for pillowblocks, too. I have the gokart version and I'm STILL going to have to grind things down to have it fit better. What's the diameter of your brake disk, about 6 inchs? Mines a 7.25 disc from a gokart and there will be barely enough room. I'm glad I can move the motor up and away some from the halfshaft or I wouldn't be able to use it :p:-||

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Hey Dave, the diameter of the brake rotor is 4".......it's an old rear cog with the teeth ground off lol. The Felt Slant frame is fairly spaceous, I'm really glad for that ;)

dnut

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
How long was your shear key in that crank picture? Kinda weird to see a crank do that? I have put that clutch you are using now on a couple of scooters at the shop. Kinda curious to see what you think of it?

SoSauty

Feb 4, 2011
Bako, CA
Don't leave anything out Scotto, I got's to know! Weight, motor mods, . . . what you're doing cause of past pitfalls, ect. . . Go man go , , , ,

25 pages, it'll take me a week to catch up reading, (finished pg10) looks great

(Glad you're persisting with the CVT. I didn't follow thru with a 2 speed rear chainring shifter, upside down front derailer mounted back wheel, still wonder how that would've worked)

Last edited: