• NO!~ Your insane~

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Absolutly ~! Spectator only

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Flying machine build off. Arriving 10am on Friday the 18th. Pre Party. Set up tent city and prepare the air field. Bring cash and trades. If you have a trailer of old bike parts bring them!

Around 400 BC - China
The discovery of the kite that could fly in the air by the Chinese started humans thinking about flying. Kites were used by the Chinese in religious ceremonies.

1485 Leonardo da Vinci - The Ornithopter
Leonardo da Vinci made the first real studies of flight in the 1480's. He had over 100 drawings that illustrated his theories on flight. The Ornithopter flying machine was never actually created. It was a design that Leonardo da Vinci created to show how man could fly. The modern day helicopter is based on this concept.

1783 - Joseph and Jacques Montgolfier- the First Hot Air Balloon.

1799 - 1850's - George Cayley
George Cayley worked to discover a way that man could fly. He designed many different versions of gliders that used the movements of the body to control. Over 50 years he made improvements to the gliders. He changed the shape of the wings so that the air would flow over the wings correctly. He designed a tail for the gliders to help with the stability. He tried a biplane design to add strength to the glider. He also recognized that there would be a need for power if the flight was to be in the air for a long time.

1891 Otto Lilienthal
German engineer, Otto Lilienthal, was the first person to design a glider that could fly a person and was able to fly long distances. Based on his studies of birds and how they fly, he wrote a book on aerodynamics that was published in 1889 and this text was used by the Wright Brothers as the basis for their designs. After more than 2500 flights, he was killed when he lost control because of a sudden strong wind and crashed into the ground.

1891 Samuel P. Langley
Samuel Langley was an astronomer, who realized that power was needed to help man fly. He built a model of a plane, which he called an aerodrome, that included a steam-powered engine. In 1891, his model flew for 3/4s of a mile before running out of fuel.
1894 Octave Chanute

1894 Octave Chanute published Progress in Flying Machines. It gathered and analyzed all the technical knowledge that he could find about aviation accomplishments. It included all of the world's aviation pioneers. The Wright Brothers used this book as a basis for much of their experiments. Chanute was also in contact with the Wright Brothers and often commented on their technical progress.

1903 Orville and Wilbur Wright and the First Airplane
Orville and Wilbur Wright were very deliberate in their quest for flight. First, they read about all the early developments of flight. They decided to make "a small contribution" to the study of flight control by twisting their wings in flight. Then they began to test their ideas with a kite. They learned about how the wind would help with the flight and how it could affect the surfaces once up in the air.
They designed and used a wind tunnel to test the shapes of the wings and the tails of the gliders.
In 1902, with a perfected glider shape, they turned their attention to how to create a propulsion system that would create the thrust needed to fly. The early engine that they designed generated almost 12 horsepower. The "Flyer" lifted from level ground to the north of Big Kill Devil Hill, North Carolina, at 10:35 a.m., on December 17, 1903. The two brothers took turns flying that day with the fourth and last flight covering 850 feet in 59 seconds. But the Flyer was unstable and very hard to control.
The brothers returned to Dayton, Ohio, where they worked for two more years perfecting their design. Finally, on October 5, 1905, Wilbur piloted the Flyer III for 39 minutes and about 24 miles of circles around Huffman Prairie.

He flew the first practical airplane until it ran out of gas!

Humankind was now able to fly! During the next century we would go to the moon and back. And now as a species we are on our way Mars.

To honor two bicycle builders. The ones who are credited with our first powered flight. I here by propose a flying machine bicycle build off!
** Finalized rules to follow but keep a few things in mind. Motorized bicycle with only one rider on board. Add bolt on or weld on wings of metal and or cloth. Basic materials from the period. Modern engines welcome. Does not need to fly to win but must function and be ridden under power with all flying machine parts attached. Not asking or requiring anyone to be able to fly. Display and testing field will be at the Ridgefield Washington Iron Ranch third Saturday in September Vintage Bike and MotoBike Swap.
*** Mail in HDDVD submissions under consideration to be viewed @ the show and judged.

Saturday, September 19, 2015

at 8:00am
FREE CAMPING ON SIGHT

Attachments

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Cool idea!

I’ve been obsessing about building a “retro antique” airplane myself. Something along the lines of a cross between a scaled down 1909 Bleriot XI and a 1910 Deperdussin model A.

My goal is to make it FAR part 103 (Ultralight) compliant but still use traditional wood & wire braced construction (and HD 24" bicycle wheels for the front landing gear). The weight requirement is the biggest challenge, and if I can’t meet that I will have to register it as a light sport experimental.

It’s not a practical project as I barely have enough shop space to even build it, I don’t have a place to store or fly it when finished, and I really can’t afford it. Never the less there’s not a day that goes by that I don't think about it (a lot) and I imagine I’ll still end up doing it.

But sadly it’s a long term project and in no way would I be done by Sept. 19th. I am going to follow this thread though and look forward to see what you guys come up with!

-Kirk

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Cool idea!

I’ve been obsessing about building a “retro antique” airplane myself. Something along the lines of a cross between a scaled down 1909 Bleriot XI and a 1910 Deperdussin model A.

My goal is to make it FAR part 103 (Ultralight) compliant but still use traditional wood & wire braced construction (and HD 24" bicycle wheels for the front landing gear). The weight requirement is the biggest challenge, and if I can’t meet that I will have to register it as a light sport experimental.

It’s not a practical project as I barely have enough shop space to even build it, I don’t have a place to store or fly it when finished, and I really can’t afford it. Never the less there’s not a day that goes by that I don't think about it (a lot) and I imagine I’ll still end up doing it.

But sadly it’s a long term project and in no way would I be done by Sept. 19th. I am going to follow this thread though and look forward to see what you guys come up with!

-Kirk

Honestly the location has not the space for safe flight of experiential. Now that being said, Fan Man or the like flying wing would be a non issue at the location.

If we can generate a following and get an interest going for some serious flight we that would be next year or even later and obvious venue change would be required.

I have always enjoyed grandiose view the world through my own minds eye and admittedly I know I am dreamer, a visionary of sorts.

Can you see this becoming something grand in a few years? I can! Seen a lot more stupid ideas on CNN and ESPN and MTV and ETC.

Who knows if we get some real flight minded talent perhaps we could get some event sponsors. Can you say MONSTER or RED BULL. Or I am daft? In either case, its a hella lot of fun being me and I wouldn't change a thing.

Repeating this... for the completion ..... if we actually build period craft and the like we think up. No one will fly. No one did back then.

I should expect some to get off the ground but lift off at stall speed and back down. I think it will be awesome!

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Impressive to say the least! Now I imagine my bike strapped to a hang glider with a fan pushing me along. Probably not going anywhere :)
Your creation needs only to fit motorized bicycle rules and have wings. No one I mean No one managed to fly back in the day useing these home built flying machines except the wright brothers who were as we all know bicycle builders. You are to, now go make some wings!

If you think you live to far away... then mail in your entry on a DVD. We will air it on wide screen looping all day at the event!

Last edited:

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
i can barely keep a kit together, Id love to be close enough to come see this but am a few years away from being able to fly.
There in lies your problem Josh..... Your building from a kit! Don't fool yourself or lie to me either man! You got skills and you know it! Lean into your dream and build it. Surprise yourself! Do it for you. Put it on your to do list this is year one, there will be a 2016 event and on. Till I am tired or someone/something takes the event away from me.

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
Honestly my hands are tied financially and my bike isint even where I want it bike wise. On top of that my room mates would give me the boot if I were to start taking up even more of the house with my crazy transportation project ,they already constantly question why I'm investing in this instead of fixing my car . I do hope you post up the entries on here for the rest of us to see. Lots of pictures please :]

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Honestly my hands are tied financially and my bike isint even where I want it bike wise. On top of that my room mates would give me the boot if I were to start taking up even more of the house with my crazy transportation project ,they already constantly question why I'm investing in this instead of fixing my car . I do hope you post up the entries on here for the rest of us to see. Lots of pictures please :]
Pictures! Oh yeah and HD DVD too! Epic shenanigans requires mad documentation!

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
The classic "Glide-O-Bike"!

There's actually some antique footage of one those riding down a field, unfortunately I can't find a link.

Contrary to what the old illustration implies they didn’t really soar like an airplane, only with the best of luck would they could make little gliding hop along the ground. Usually they just lifted the front wheel.

I wonder how hundred of those where built back in the day?

Also attached proof theres few new ideas... "- )

-Kirk

Attachments

Last edited:

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
The classic "Glide-O-Bike"!
Yes this is exactly the sort of thing that makes my head spin. I just don't think with a powered bicycle it is all that hard to make lift. As soon as its up its back down because the speed vrs lift off, seems totally safe.

FYI
Just off the phone with the event manager and the green light for this event to take place at the old bike swap was granted. As it has been the past two years having invaded with our motorized landing party the year before that.

I was also encouraged to ask whizzer and simplex folks to attend the event.

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Few shots from 2014 of the location. Keep in mind those barns and sheds are full of steam engines and old whizzers, simplex motor bikes, all sorts of old steel tools and toys. These pictures do not really do the location justice. It was featured sight on American Pickers 2012 season.

** Foot note see in the 4th frame, the younger of the two men driving the steam tractor is Wizzkid of this forum. Ok on second look, the taller one on the left is wizzkid.

Attachments

Last edited:

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
How big is that? The door hinge does a reasonable job for scale but I dont feel like busting out the tape measure ;)
Is it very Heavy?

Last edited: