My First Build

GoldenMotor.com

MonkeySeller808

Sep 17, 2011
Hawaii, Oahu
Hi Everyone,
This is my first build on my Zed K2 mountain bike. Putting the engine on the build was a tight fit and a few bugs.... But I manage to fix everything up and it works well =). I use it to ride to school everyday and is causing people on my class to want to get one. Thanks everyone for their useful information on this forums! Just need to get my friends bike working and then he can ride with me.

dance1

Attachments

bokuza

Nov 6, 2011
Arizona
Great job man! Looks like a great ride for school. I bet you can expand by building more for your friends too. It looks nice in the shiny black too. What's the top speed you go to and the idle speed?

bokuza

Nov 6, 2011
Arizona
Sweet! Im still breaking mine in and I think it just adjusted. I took off at 35 the other day. How does your bike handle breaking, turns and so on?

MonkeySeller808

Sep 17, 2011
Hawaii, Oahu
The bike handles great. I just ride it like a normal bike. Turning feels like I am riding a normal bike =P. As for braking I can ride full speed and brake in a small distance with my disc brakes. I am planing on switching to a bigger brake set up for my front for more braking power. The things sucks if when your trying to start a cold engine...... Takes about 3 tries or so lol but after it is warm I can get it at one crack. Also my friends all think that the vibration on my bike is bad... I dont think it is, maybe its how they sit lol.

bokuza

Nov 6, 2011
Arizona
The bike handles great. I just ride it like a normal bike. Turning feels like I am riding a normal bike =P. As for braking I can ride full speed and brake in a small distance with my disc brakes. I am planing on switching to a bigger brake set up for my front for more braking power. The things sucks if when your trying to start a cold engine...... Takes about 3 tries or so lol but after it is warm I can get it at one crack. Also my friends all think that the vibration on my bike is bad... I dont think it is, maybe its how they sit lol.
Nice! I want a mountain bike next. Im so used to them a cruiser feels bulky and we replaced the bars with a mountain style. But im also not a very big girl lol.

Good breaks are essential. Is it a front and read combo or seperate? I like using one lever and it works well for sudden stops.

How's your carb pulling? My carb is set to pull rich until the engine is fully settled. Maybe someone can chime in on this...are you supposed to raise idle or lower it with cold days? I think you raise it.

MonkeySeller808

Sep 17, 2011
Hawaii, Oahu
Cruisers! =P I tired riding my friends cruiser and I am not use to the feeling. I been riding a mountain bike from 6th grade and never switched back from then.

I got two different brake levers because if I had to fix my glasses or backpack when riding around, I know which ever had I have on the handle bars I can stop.

For my carb is fine now, had to change the level of the float so I wont leak. But other then that it was fine. When changing the idle on cold days I dont know about this because in hawaii the temperature does not change that much so I dont worry about it.

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
Oh yes I did see that. I didn't want to go that route since it uses that small of a sprocket. Have you had any difficulties getting up some of the steeper paths? I have a fair amount of steep areas here so was planning on using a 50+ tooth sprocket till the summer where I would get a shift kit.

MonkeySeller808

Sep 17, 2011
Hawaii, Oahu
Oh yes I did see that. I didn't want to go that route since it uses that small of a sprocket. Have you had any difficulties getting up some of the steeper paths? I have a fair amount of steep areas here so was planning on using a 50+ tooth sprocket till the summer where I would get a shift kit.
Yes, with the 32T sprocket I have the problem with hill climbing. If the hill was a steep hill then I have a problem of keeping 10mph (below that the engine dies). But if the hill were a long distance slight incline hill then I can maintain 17mph with peddling. I cant with to get a shift kit too.....

edangel

Sep 7, 2010
seveirville tn
check ur back axle i have bent two of them with my bike at ur gears on ur back axle and check ur space inside the hub u might have to put a nut to fill the space with the factery spacer had to space that will let ur axle bend

Bicycle Motor Fun

Sep 17, 2011
Warren, Michigan
Nice build MS808! I like the way you have mounted your chain tensioner too, I' am going to try that on my Huffy Stone Mountain, mountain bike! BTW, will your bike make it up the hills in Aiea? Had a dear friend that lived in Aiea years ago; I got a chance to visit before his death. Great place. Have fun with the bike. BMF

Matheneyr3

Jun 4, 2009
Carolinas
With that rear sprocket you would be able to improve your hill climbing/low end torque by running a straight pipe exhaust. Might need to re-tune the carb.
The lower ratio on the rear would prevent the engine from over revving, and the open exhaust would improve not only low end torque, but also give you better top end on the flats

-Side note here- This is just my experience, every motor may, or may not be different....But surely the experiences of each builder is, just that- Different.
-Richard.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Sorry, it's a common mistake - but running an open/straight pipe exhaust to improve performance is for four strokes - all two stroke engines, but most particularly piston ported (like the OP's) require some amount of back pressure to prevent an unduly large amount of fuel/air charge from passing right through the combustion chamber without compression & ignition.

Thus the two stroke expansion chamber/tuned pipe: Expansion chamber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MonkeySeller808

Sep 17, 2011
Hawaii, Oahu
Nice build MS808! I like the way you have mounted your chain tensioner too, I' am going to try that on my Huffy Stone Mountain, mountain bike! BTW, will your bike make it up the hills in Aiea? Had a dear friend that lived in Aiea years ago; I got a chance to visit before his death. Great place. Have fun with the bike. BMF
Haha funny you said this. It wont make it up that steep hill from the bottom. The first time I tired to on that hill i ended up loosing speed and had to peddle up it lol. As for the chain tensioner I had no other way of mounting it.... If it was mounted on the bottom I could have maxed out the tensioner before the chain become tight. There is no place on this island that sell a 415 chain half link so I had to place it there.. But it works fine and no major problems yet. *knock on wood*

Last edited:

MonkeySeller808

Sep 17, 2011
Hawaii, Oahu
Sorry, it's a common mistake - but running an open/straight pipe exhaust to improve performance is for four strokes - all two stroke engines, but most particularly piston ported (like the OP's) require some amount of back pressure to prevent an unduly large amount of fuel/air charge from passing right through the combustion chamber without compression & ignition.

Thus the two stroke expansion chamber/tuned pipe: Expansion chamber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for the tip, This is my next upgrade for my bike after I get my shift kit during christmas break.

MonkeySeller808

Sep 17, 2011
Hawaii, Oahu
check ur back axle i have bent two of them with my bike at ur gears on ur back axle and check ur space inside the hub u might have to put a nut to fill the space with the factery spacer had to space that will let ur axle bend
Thanks for your tip. I would be checking that before each ride now.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
NP, adding an expansion chamber is the single most significant improvement that can be made to these engines :)