Stuck Throttle (my bike's going to KILL me!!!!)

GoldenMotor.com

mxchris727

Aug 10, 2009
Wilton, CT
Hi everyone,
I've had this problem ever since I bought the kit: My throttle gets stuck all of the time. I have been able to fix it by lightly coating the air flow slider with oil and pressing it down with a flathead screwdriver. But now, nothing can fix it! I've tried all of the small stuff like lining up the grove to the notch and making sure that the cable is not twisted but nothing helps. (The last time I rode it I almost rear-ended someone's car because I couldn't stop!!!!) How can this be fixed????

Thanks,
Chris

.mbv.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Two things:
First locate the source of the binding. Disconnect the cable from the twist grip and carburetor and see if everything moves freely. The most common area is the carb slide, or barrel. If you tighten the cap on top where the cable enters the carb too tight or the clamps where it attaches to the intake manifold, you can warp the fragil casting of the carb. Check for plastic mold flashing in the twist grip where the cable end rides and lube that area. Lube the cable then reassemble everything and see what happens.
Second: If you're not using your ignition kill switch (button) you should be. It will give you a quick, easy to reach method of shutting down a runaway engine.
Get back to us with what you find.
Tom

mxchris727

Aug 10, 2009
Wilton, CT
The throttle cable is defiantly not stuck, the barrel is sticking and I cannot see what is causing it. I have tried sanding it with fine grit paper but I'm afraid that I will create a "low spot." Also, I haven't figured out how to keep the kill switch wires connected, they keep vibrating out. Am I doing anything wrong?

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
Northam, Western Australia.
Ha, my throtte got stuck once when I was riding home. I was prettty scared because it was WOT. However, mine was because the throttle handle was dodged. Are you sure it's not your handle sticking slightly?

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
Northam, Western Australia.
The throttle cable is defiantly not stuck, the barrel is sticking and I cannot see what is causing it. I have tried sanding it with fine grit paper but I'm afraid that I will create a "low spot." Also, I haven't figured out how to keep the kill switch wires connected, they keep vibrating out. Am I doing anything wrong?
Is the killswitch wires keep coming out, use some electrical tape. I'm not sure what would make the barrel get stuck.

mxchris727

Aug 10, 2009
Wilton, CT
im sure it's not the handle... when I take off the cover and play with the throttle, the barrel slides up and down smoothly. but ass soon as you push it down into the carb., it gets stuck. I think the carb. was not machined well and should probably get another one. Do you think it's worth it?

r00t4rd3d

Aug 2, 2010
Internet
That happens from over tightening either the top cap or the connection to the intake.

I had that problem. I took some steel wool and wound a chunk of it up and stuck it in my drill and bored out the hole a touch. Made it nice and shiny and the throttle never worked better. Nice and smooth.

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Your needle jet could be bent preventing it from sliding back down into the emulsion tube.
Take the needle off of the barrel and hook it back together and see what happens.
You can't run it this way but it will tell you if it's the needle is the culprit
If it slides up and down ( throttle returns ) your needle needs replacing.
It's also possible the emulsion tube is crooked, cross threaded, or machined incorrectly. . Take the carb apart and unscrew it out while you've got the needle out.
Try it

Also get rid of those cheap electrical connectors and either wire nut them or solder them and use electrical tape or heat shrink wire insulation.

Last edited:

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
Everything seems to be smooth, I think i'll try r00t4rd3d's idea with the steel wool. I've used sandpaper but that didn't help at all.
dont chance it !!! get an new carb if needed ! im down about my ride too ! due to wheel problems ''with no money ''' but beter down than dead ! and make sure you have your thumb on kill switch ! it may be christmas before i fix mine .. maybe an rainbow will shine on an rim in the dump for me ... but the problem you have can run you into an busy intersection .. latter and be careful ,, try every thing on this thread .. and try an dirt road or grass if need to .. or pick up the bike by the seat and work your throttle

Bob Mac 18704

Jan 24, 2010
penna.
Let me tell you what I discovered about the exact same problem. After exhausting all possibilities with the carb I focused on the intake manifold. I took a vernier to the end the carb hooks to and found that the opening was out of round. I tried to squeeze it in the vice to get it back to round and did get it close but not close enough. I put it back on the motor and tightend it down. It was still sticking. I then loostened the bolt that holds the carb to the intake and tried it again. It worked like a charm. I tightend the bolt and it stuck again. I then left it loose and went for a ride. It worked great. I went In the house, got on the net and ordered the cast aluminum intake. Problem solved. Hope this helpsdance1

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
Let me tell you what I discovered about the exact same problem. After exhausting all possibilities with the carb I focused on the intake manifold. I took a vernier to the end the carb hooks to and found that the opening was out of round. I tried to squeeze it in the vice to get it back to round and did get it close but not close enough. I put it back on the motor and tightend it down. It was still sticking. I then loostened the bolt that holds the carb to the intake and tried it again. It worked like a charm. I tightend the bolt and it stuck again. I then left it loose and went for a ride. It worked great. I went In the house, got on the net and ordered the cast aluminum intake. Problem solved. Hope this helpsdance1
must have come off the line like that ? it can be an bad thing to happen ,,, hope i dont have this happen to me .. could be an for sure fix bob ,,, i made sure to put permatex seal on my intake at the carb... like norm says,, fresh air here is ... certain death for an motor ...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Soldered connections and heat shrink tubing is the best way to keep your electrical connections secure. Wire nuts, electrical tape and everything else is asking for trouble. Solder is the only way to keep things together.
Tom

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
Soldered connections and heat shrink tubing is the best way to keep your electrical connections secure. Wire nuts, electrical tape and everything else is asking for trouble. Solder is the only way to keep things together.
Tom
Do it Tom's way, it is the right way.

Here's the quick way, no gaurantee way:

Take the kill wires and strip the plastic coating sheath with a knife/exacto/razor blade or even a wire stripper. Take off about 1/2 - 3/4 inch of the sheath and twist the individual wire strands on each kill wire. Take your motor connectors and disconnect one at this point. Take one of the kill wires and feed that wire into the male motor connector end and bend the kill wire back over the connector. Now, connect that male connector with the kill wire attached until it snaps snug.

Pull the other motor connector apart and repeat with the other kill wire.

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
To prove my belief in the unapproved no guarantee method of connecting the kill wire, I took some pictures of my own setup. I use the choke usually, but the kill switch works.

Picture on the left is how the stripped kill wire inserts into the male end. Picture on the right is how the kill wire and male end both go into the female side.

Attachments

Elixys

Sep 14, 2010
Midland, TX
i had the exact same problem with my throttle sticking......turns out i had my slider barrel in backwards so it wouldnt slide all the way down. try turning the barrel a 180 and make sure you have the little notch part at the bottom of the barrel lined up with the idler screw on the left hand side of the carb. i suppose its a common mistake for a noob like me but once i realized that I was going to go full speed out of the get go i learned really quick that it was in backwards.

adb140275

Aug 8, 2010
Harrison City, PA
when i got a 72 yamaha dirtbike that i recovered from a flood, the carb slide was stuck. i had to remove it with some force, file all of the burrs off (lightly) and i used a bit of motor oil for temporary lubrication until i started running it.

sisdavid

Mar 31, 2008
Daytona Beach
Try the sandpaper idea with heavier sandpaper, then use fine sandpaper, Sand in circular fashion around and around, and don't tighten the top of your carb too much. Get your kill switch fixed. ofcourse I don't use a kill switch I just put the choke on. Not recomended for a beginner though.