HELP with HF 212cc project

GoldenMotor.com

hobojoe007

Aug 9, 2012
California
im not planning it on being a commuter or anything but where i live there are alot of secluded side streets and i just wanted to see if i could do it

buck0

Apr 24, 2011
Orange County, Ca
No worries Aleman. Things probably got a little heated up from the 4-stroke commuter thread & carried to this one :ride:

Last edited:

hobojoe007

Aug 9, 2012
California
If you had of made one of the races you would have seen
AirEds $500 212 cc racer that uses the SBP jackshaft.

It's a little hard to see in the first pic but that is a SBP
jackshaft and yes that is a snake on the left side of the
2nd pic. :D

It seems to be hanging in there just fine and I personally
have ridden it around Grange at least 30 laps at a pretty
good clip.

in this picture above, is there anything holding the centrifugal clutch onto the shaft besides a key? is there any additional equipment or washers to ensure the clutch does not come off?

hobojoe007

Aug 9, 2012
California
also, there was a tube coming out of the cover that covers the rocker arms on the motor, does that need to stay in place? there is also some sort of moisture trap or something that attaches to the intake and the top of the gas tank do i need to keep these items in place? or can i do without them?

jowens

Jul 25, 2011
Webster Fl
on this: http://www.affordablegokarts.com/GearCalc.php calculator i have imputed the following numbers: 10, 17, 9, 41 the result is 7.744 is that ideal?
really you should run around the 9.5 to 10 ratio......it will still get you around or above that 40MPH mark you spoke of......running below that will tax your build parts to failure. Pulleys, clutch, most importantly if your ragging it.... your rear wheel spokes.

jowens

Jul 25, 2011
Webster Fl
once again I will say it.....get a quality steel bike frame to do this with and maybe start off with a 99cc motor to do your learning with

hobojoe007

Aug 9, 2012
California
i am going to get a beefier frame, in the meantime im trying to figure out everything else. this isnt my first build though so i have some idea

jowens

Jul 25, 2011
Webster Fl
if i go above 10 is that good? im trying to gear it so that i dont have to pedal it up to speed, i can just start from a standstill
now we have to know your weight, do you live in hills, etc.....the higher you go on your ratio the slower your top speed will be but you will have plenty of torque potentially to motor up anything with as much weight as you like

hobojoe007

Aug 9, 2012
California
also on this site: http://thatsdax.com/ the 4 stroke gear box package deal looks like it would suit all of my needs and eliminate the need to buy a bunch of parts separately, would it work on the 212cc? do you know? i should probably just call the guy, and with the 72 tooth i would achieve a 13.6 ratio

jowens

Jul 25, 2011
Webster Fl
with a 60 tooth back sprocket and everything else the same i am getting a 11.33 ratio
alright now the nitty gritty.....to be honest with you, to get the hill aspect done DO NOT go below 10.5.....at that ratio you will also hit 40MPH at 5500 RPM.....that RPM should be attainable if you do your research here on this site