Indian Tadpole

GoldenMotor.com

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]"[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Getting old isn't the joy I'd hoped it would be.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]"
That is one of the slogans that I would use one day as my signature![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
I enjoy in reading stories of veterans (of life, not of war), presented here in this wonderful Forum! Not only that I learned a lot about HPV-motorised light vehicles, knowledge that I would use one day or maybe not, but I am still learning about life in general! Again, maybe used, maybe not. However, in any case great fun, joy and happiness! Great company from around the World!
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]As old Roman wise folk liked to say on forgotten Latin Language: "[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]SIMILIS SIMILI GAUDET[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]”, meaning: “Like Rejoices in Like”, or “Like Takes Pleasure in Like”. I had to learn Lingua Latina for two years in high school and had a book with their sentences... (Google Translator and Internet could help me now more than decades old knowledge)[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]So: [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]SALUTATE FRATRES OMNES IN MUNDO[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Zoran[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]P.S.: Old Romans used only capital letters! Sentence above has meaning as “[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Greetings to my friends around the Worl[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]d”[/FONT]

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
MT,

That is a great idea to make sure the grips don't slid off the handle bars. Twenty feet in the air would not be the best time to find out your just holding on to the grip with no handle bars attached to it.

Steve.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
I ordered two throttle cables quite a while ago and when I went to get them they weren't where I thought they were. After spending a lot of time going through all the shelves, boxes and bins and giving up I ordered two more and when they came in the mail I put them where I knew I'd find them. Right on top of the first pair.

Got one of them out to hook up the throttle to the carb and discovered they are all brake cables. The throttle cables I ordered yesterday should be here in a week and yes I double checked to make sure that's what they were.

Getting old isn't the joy I'd hoped it would be.

Steve.
They say memory is the 2nd thing to go...

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I started learning Latin when I was taking my paralegal courses. I wasn't required; I just felt like it. "Legalese" is mostly Latin and I was curious.
So one day a smart-aleck classmate holds a door for me as I'm getting to class and says "Age before beauty". I replied "Margaritas ante porcos". Our instructor heard it and snickered. (It means "Pearls before swine".) The smarty was sure I had insulted him somehow, but he considered it classy so he let that one go.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Well, as you can see by the timeline on the posts, I pondered on that statement for nearly 30 minutes. I ain't braggin' just being honest. Ain't nothin' to brag about.

Dan

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Well Steve, I try to laugh about it all as much as I can, as you know. I can whine with the best of them, but it gets me nowhere. Ya know when you visited us I had no idea the level of discomfort you were experiencing. Could tell the old kneebone was hurtin', but you always had a smile and you worked your butt off on your truck brakes. Had I known I would have pitched in to be more help.

Now that I've purged the guilt........... on with the game!

Dan

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Dan,

There is absolutely no need for you to feel guilty. I was raised with the notion that you should never start something you don't think you could finish. I can't thank you and Jackie enough for the great visit and the quality time we had together.

You helped in a major way by taking me over to get parts to do the job.

Games on!

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I'm sitting here laughing at the comments about getting old. Keep them coming.

I was in the garage yesterday looking over just how to do the chain guard that Indian had on the 1905 model. Not having the size of the Bully clutch I'm kind of winging it using the clutch I have now. What can go wrong he said.

My plan all along has been to make the tri car as visually accurate as possible. Kind of hard to judge just what gauge of metal they used. I have some reasonably thick sheet metal and then I'm wondering about using 1/8th steel. Remembering the joy of having a pant leg wind it's self into the chain and sprocket at pedal bike speed my rather vivid imagination can imagine the panic level as it happens when your going 20 mph being pushed by a motor that may have no interest in stopping despite you pleas for it to.

Time to go down and measure and make a pattern.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Here is the original chain guard. Since my motor sits higher due to the carb being on the bottom of the motor, my version will of course be taller and narrower.

The plan is for the sprockets for the jack shaft to be behind a larger sprocket with a piece of chain wrapped around it for looks. This will give the illusion of being like the Indian set up but the larger sprocket won't move and it will be attached to the chain guard.

http://cdn-3.thejameslist.com/data/images/21361394_source.jpg

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I have to go down and paw through the steel bucket to see what I have for 1/8th inch steel and if there isn't enough I'll have to think over the 20 mile drive to the steel store through some bad traffic or it's the roof off the 1957 Plymouth out on the back yard.

Of course if I go to the steel supplier I will have no choice but to go past our version of Harbor Freight and look at the spot welder I've been thinking about.

Here is a link to the pattern I'll use for the chain guard. As the Intrepid Wheelwoman would say I used CAD. Cardboard Aided Design. I bought 20 sheet of cardboard the last time I was at the dollar store. I have future plans.

As I said on the first photo of the pattern if at first you don't succeed keep drawing lines until you do.

Steve.

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab228/speedydick/Indian Tri-car Build/DSC_0003_zps8mrvlryz.jpg

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I had to redraw the pattern after I tried it on the motor. Victim of my own success as it were. Simple enough to do as all it needed was to widen the legs a 1/2" to give the large sprocket room for the chain.

And I was so close to being perfect.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Thank you Dan.That's what I'm striving for having seen your work first hand. Trouble is fellas like you and I can never leave it off at "That will Do." If it isn't perfect we work at it until it is.

It seems that everyone on the forum has the same problem because how many bikes built are ever really finished. There is a constant improving or there is another bike being built to take advantage of what was learned on the last bike to make the new bike even better.

Steve.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Thank you Dan.That's what I'm striving for having seen your work first hand. Trouble is fellas like you and I can never leave it off at "That will Do." If it isn't perfect we work at it until it is.

It seems that everyone on the forum has the same problem because how many bikes built are ever really finished. There is a constant improving or there is another bike being built to take advantage of what was learned on the last bike to make the new bike even better.

Steve.
Well, I know I have some work ahead of me with my own. Tempus will be getting an extra mirror, turn signals, an improved brake light, and I'm going to modify the headlight to look more like an early electric head lamp. Basically, I'm going to be making her compliant with all the new laws regarding motorized bicycle equipment and operation so I can get her registered and plated. And so long as legislators change seats, laws will change, and so long as laws change our bikes may never be finished. But I'm not miffed or anything; I was thinking it was time to add real turn signals anyway. And the rest is a good idea too.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
A.W.

It never seems to end does it. Just as you step back and admire the bike you see something you want to change for the better. Of course as you say the laws change so there is always something to keep up with.

Steve.