I found the HOLY GRAIL! (1926 Harley)

GoldenMotor.com

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I'm really glad you are going to hunt down a near original frame and do it right. This isn't just another retro build, this is history and it deserves to be handled accordingly.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Yeah that motor is looking 50 years younger now its clean..... does that now mean the engine can be moved from the garage to the loungeroom? I know i would LOL

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Bird

A Rare Bird , no doubt! No pun intended. What kind of oil system does it have?

My first Motorcycle was a 1936 Harley with the 80 cid flathead. It had an oil tank with a pump built into it with the gas tank. The oil was pumped into the crankcase and more had to be pumped in before it was all used up.

I bought it about 1953 for $35. with a bad piston, he did not pump in enough oil when hot rodding it. Bought a used piston for $5. at the Harley Shop.

Thanks for sharing, and good luck with it.

Ron

The Transporter

Jan 20, 2012
dearborn heights michigan
Bird, we have never talk but things like that happen for reasons, even if that reason isnt apparent to you right now. That old man seen apart of himself in you when he was your age. He is living threw your eyes, Build the bike he always wanted to but never did! You will have a one off piece, and you will make a old man very happy!!!! And it will make you a friend for life, not to mention how awesome you will feel for building it! P.S cant wait to see it. talk to ya brother the Transporter

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
bird, we have never talk but things like that happen for reasons, even if that reason isnt apparent to you right now. That old man seen apart of himself in you when he was your age. He is living threw your eyes, build the bike he always wanted to but never did! You will have a one off piece, and you will make a old man very happy!!!! And it will make you a friend for life, not to mention how awesome you will feel for building it! P.s cant wait to see it. Talk to ya brother the transporter
amen!!!!!!!!

bird

Dec 5, 2011
prunedale, CA
Bird

A Rare Bird , no doubt! No pun intended. What kind of oil system does it have?

My first Motorcycle was a 1936 Harley with the 80 cid flathead. It had an oil tank with a pump built into it with the gas tank. The oil was pumped into the crankcase and more had to be pumped in before it was all used up.

I bought it about 1953 for $35. with a bad piston, he did not pump in enough oil when hot rodding it. Bought a used piston for $5. at the Harley Shop.

Thanks for sharing, and good luck with it.

Ron
Neat story, Whats left of the loss oiler system is still usable on this motor, I have the original hand primer. This was the first year harley had a mechanical oil pump but It is close to useless. It still requires the 2 pumps on startup and a good pump every 15 minutes or so of running to keep it from becoming a very pretty piece of yard art.(not that I would resort to that!)

bird

Dec 5, 2011
prunedale, CA
Very cool Bird, I'm going through a simular situation. Just aquired a 1914 Harley single and so starts another Board Track Tribute build...
Oh wow! Id love to see what shape that jewel is in. I though mine was a cool year... 1914=$$$

I'd love to own a pre 1916 bike just so someday I can participate in the cannonball run antique class.

Last edited:

bird

Dec 5, 2011
prunedale, CA
This year the Cannonball is allowing bikes up 1929.
I was just looking at that, I don't graduate school til 2013 so chances of making the run are slim. If they have another ride of that class soon, I will gladly pack my bags and have the bike shipped cross country. (I need to fab the bike first before making any crazy decisions XD

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Any rich long lost relatives that would sponsor you? Id love to see you go, lets pass around the hat :)

Cannonball wouldnt be cheap but would be a soooooooo cool to be a part of...... you're young and you have time, i say start saving. I wish i was your age again and had an engine like that to invest my money rather then wasting it at the pub. You are very lucky and have youth on your side. Go for it i say

bird

Dec 5, 2011
prunedale, CA
Any rich long lost relatives that would sponsor you? Id love to see you go, lets pass around the hat :)

Cannonball wouldnt be cheap but would be a soooooooo cool to be a part of...... you're young and you have time, i say start saving. I wish i was your age again and had an engine like that to invest my money rather then wasting it at the pub. You are very lucky and have youth on your side. Go for it i say
Now that you metion it.. I can always ask the the grandparents for support! Or just sell one of my race bikes, I can think a few people that would want to buy my XR flattracker:D

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Bird, do you do flattrack racing?

Ever thought of using this engine to build a vintage flattracker and do events? Everyone on here seems to build boardtrack racers, but there arent any boardtracks anymore but there are still flattracks.

Ive considered building my BSA engine into a flatracker so i could get some use out of my bike, ive never done flattracking but i rode motocross for years so i wouldnt mind trying it. Im not talking about rubbing and racing and destroying your bike, but finding some old dudes who just like to get their bike out on the track.

I posted a video in the boardtrack section about vintage flattacking some time ago but got zero interest