How bout this? HF 99cc

GoldenMotor.com

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Predator 99 cc OHV Horizontal Shaft Gas Engine - Certified for All States Except California Im only into this thing a couple weeks and Im thinking bout going 4 stroke and EZM kit. Saw this on the Harbor Freight site. NEW?? Seems to me they used to be smaller displacement. Im lookin into doing a special construction title here in AZ so Im TOTALLY legal and a 99cc would be just enough motor and I THINK it would fit im my modified Worksman droploop frame. What you dudes think?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Looking forward to seeing your build Velodrome

I have yet to run mine but like the looks and feel of that engine. Is the same dimensions of the HF 79cc. Right now am using the pull start from the 79 on the 99cc. I swear it feels lighter then the Greyhound 79cc but can't be. Also looks about a 100% better then the robin's egg blue of the old 79cc.

I am mounting a CVT to it and keeping the governor. Here in CT, can have up to 5HP and still be a "Motor driven cycle" (MB, MaB or moped)

Post lots of pics

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Thanks for the reply Dan. So; You allready have one of these? I saw a post by Quenton the other day that aluded to EZM working on a QMatic for this motor Im wondering about motor orentation. The BTR boys round here are tilting the motors for a more authentic look and to fit better in the frames. I beleave the part that allows this in the 212cc motors is a custom rod from AGK with a larger "spoon" for splash oiling of the upper end. Have you heard of AGK plotting up a part like that for this 99cc?

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Not yet. You can make your own quite easily though for now.

dnut

Thanks for the reply Dan. So; You allready have one of these? I saw a post by Quenton the other day that aluded to EZM working on a QMatic for this motor Im wondering about motor orentation. The BTR boys round here are tilting the motors for a more authentic look and to fit better in the frames. I beleave the part that allows this in the 212cc motors is a custom rod from AGK with a larger "spoon" for splash oiling of the upper end. Have you heard of AGK plotting up a part like that for this 99cc?

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
I have a HF79, I think it is small enough to fit without tilting.
Besides that- if you leave the engine orentation as is, the carb won't need to be changed, nor the governor (if you elect to keep it).
I know 2 guys here or on the other site tilted the 6.5 engine but added more oil and has been working fine. I can tell you that the smaller engine vibrates MUCH less than the 6.5.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
For myself I'm more interested in the 99cc than the 6.5 Hsp version. I had the 79cc with a Qmatic in a cantilever framed Schwinn and it had "almost" enough power for my wants and needs (hill climbing, starts without pedal assist). I think a hundred CCs or so is about right for a motored bike. Even so there should be some other upgrades to go with it including a strong frame, stout wheels and good brakes. It seems to me that the 6.5 is right at the edge of "too much motor" for a bicycle. To make that baby safe to ride you'd better know what you're doing and be prepared for the best wheels, best brakes and a really good frame. I know some of the young people who want to go as fast as possible and have a "motorcycle" on the cheap are wanting this big one. It worries me a bit when I see some of the rinky dink builds with a China Girl... poorly mounted, poorly aligned and with inadequate brakes on a Walmart frame. If they fall apart with a China Girl, what will happen with 6.5 Hsp? Some people are liable to get hurt in a big way and in the end if that happens it is going to bring more scrutiny to all of us, even the ones just put putting along with a 50 CC or even less. I think if you're planning on a big motor you also need to be planning on a big and well thought out project. This is just my opinion, but it is something I think about and it does worry me some. I hate to see people getting hurt.

The other question which comes to mind is how do you pass this off as being some kind of moped or motor assisted bicycle and falling under the 50 CC designation of what is legal in many of the states, anyway. I figured the 79 CC (or now the 99 CC since they have about the same footprint) is stretching the credulity of even the tolerant and admiring cops. What do you say with the 6.5 when asked how many CCs and hsp? Can you really answer, "50 CC's officer" when it is thumping along like a little Harley and you got clocked at 45 mph?
Yeah, I think about a hundred CCs is enough and maybe even more than enough. With the right rear sprocket it should get even us heavyweights over the next steep climb and push us along at a breezy 30. Isn't that enough for a motorbicycle? Something to think about anyway.
SB

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I wrote this yesterday but did not post so it may seem out of time with where the thread went;

"Dunno about the custom rod thing. What is the "BTR" folks?

The 79cc Grey Hound and the 99cc Predator lay back and are not straight up like a Honda GX50 or a Briggs so can be flat and the head is leaned back. So no special oil sprayer is neded. Cool part of my HF 79, it rides so high the cranks pass below it.

I just measured and Wohoo! bolt pattern is the same on both! (A really good thing for me)

Last edited:

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Board Track Racer, Dan lol. Snork snork

dnut

I wrote this yesterday but did not post so it may seem out of time with where the thread went;

The 79cc Grey Hound and the 99cc Predator lay back and are not straight up like a Honda GX50 or a Briggs so can be flat and the head is leaned back. So no special oil sprayer is neded. Cool part of my HF 79, it rides so high the cranks pass below it.

I just measured and Wohoo! bolt pattern is the same on both! (A really good thing for me)

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish

" BTR folks" = Board track racer peoples like http://motorbicycling.com/f38/sportsman-200-a-33611.html Cobrafreak and tomindallas et al

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL Velo and Scotto. I worked hard on that too. Kept going; "...Brigs and...."

Gorahead, make fun of the slow guy. I'll just get on the small bus and go home and have cookies.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Silverbear makes some very good points. These recreations of BTR's with the 212cc motor are really custom built motorcycles that happen to have peddles on em. Their is a process for special construction title and registration of home built / kit cars and motorcycles here in AZ and this is the path Im thinking of for my bike. I cant imagine my 66cc HT motor EVER being able to haul me and its own very heavy bulk with any authority. I think Ill be safe ( sort of) keeping it under 25 but its the very slow acceleration I have a problem with. To scoot across a buisy street in this city needs more power and thats what Im thinking this 99cc job would do for me. Just get me to 25 mph quickly and Ill be very happy. My brakes will have to be greatly upgraded for anything more than that.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I been thinking about a starter or the like motor on the front wheel. Some thing small and solar regenerated just to help with "off the line" starts like at a green light in the city. Not at all as a means of propulsion, but rather a quick start helper. Using a belt drive even with a 79cc, off the line, I don't accelerate near as fast as a car or as fast as I would like. Is a non-issue around town.

Just thinking out loud

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I'll tell you what, with the 212cc Predator with CVT, you come off the line fast with the front end wanting to come off the ground. I've had mine over 55mph (on a slight downhill) and it gets there quickly. I'm sure the 99cc will have plenty of power for all your cycling needs. ;)

dnut

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Hi. I really like scotto-'s 212cc. I like power and big engines. That's good news that the Q-matic is available for the 99cc. I really like the Q-matic. I built one and it was great. It looked real good too, I used two ss flex pipes joined with a union curved up from the engine parallel with that arch and seat stay on a beach cruiser, it dumped the exhaust at the rear axel. The rear wheel had a large rear sprocket. The bike ran great with the 49cc HS engine. I gave it to a fourteen your old kid at his cousin's birthday party. The bike was a big hit there. He was so happy, we were talking outside for a few hours, my wife told me that his mother said that he rarely speaks. The 99cc is available in CA as a water pump, Quenton Guenther, do you also sell the pedestal mount with bolt holes to support the 99cc in frame? Thanks for listening to my story.

The stock motor mount supplied in our kit can be re-drilled to fit the HF 79 CC motor if needed.

Current comments indicate the 99 CC is very similar if not exactly the same foot print as the 79 CC motor, if so, the Q-matic can be ordered to fit both 79 CC & 99 CC versions.

As both motors exceed the majority of state laws for motor assisted bicycles we don't offer them in a kit, however our kit can be ordered without the 49 CC motor and easily adapted to work with hundreds of 4 stroke motors.

The advantages to using the Q-Matic drive are many, starting with power transfer & flywheel action. The clutch is located to the rear of the drive and is driven with an automotive wedge belt which helps buffer any vibration. The clutch is mounted between 2 large bearing for support and also reduces vibration. The clutch only spins at approx 1/3 motor speed which requires a lot less power and reduces the excessive flywheel action.

Have fun,

Last edited:

SlickmisterN

Feb 27, 2009
Napa
So can a Q-matic taken off one of the hua sheng 49cc kits be directly fitted to a 99cc HF/Predator with no extra parts or tweaking? Would the differing clutch engagement rpm of the larger motor be a factor? Just curious...