My Board Track Build

GoldenMotor.com

Tre_in_L.A.

May 7, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
WOW! Yeah, I guess the front tire clearance is just a little bit tight :) I've asked Dan to do the Halycon fork deal without the leaf on mine.

Motor finished completely today including the carb manifold and brace, just waiting for the CVT to arrive from drop ship and then will take the works out to Taylar for some mount measurements..

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
WOW! Yeah, I guess the front tire clearance is just a little bit tight :) I've asked Dan to do the Halycon fork deal without the leaf on mine.

Motor finished completely today including the carb manifold and brace, just waiting for the CVT to arrive from drop ship and then will take the works out to Taylar for some mount measurements..
That sounds cool, yeah I am curious how he did this week with making progress on the bike. All my parts are more or less there, just taking time to do the build right. Those Halcyon forks and frames are nice, too bad that guy just disappeared you know?

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
So progress is a little slow on the build, but I figure i would go ahead and post some other build related information. I went ahead and purchased what was described as an early elgin frame, serial 24750. I really liked the construction of the frame itself, the curve of the bottom bar, and the way the rear stays looked. It is my plan to keep the frame intact and use it as the model of a frame I will build myself out of slightly larger and heavier grade steel tube. This way I always have a good reference to measure and calculate geometry.

I am curious, is it really an elgin? I am not an expert at all but here are the pics...

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
More pics of the build that Dan is working on for me. Dan has created a new frame jig so that he can make these frames in more of a production setting. Nice work so far. The engine is in there to see how he can start to mount it.

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
It has been slow going as Dan wanted to get the fixture made first before he started on the new frame. I would imagine that things would start picking up now that he has it and he also has the wheelsm pedals & crank, light, forks, etc. The next major challenge will be getting the engine mounted and aligned to the rear sprocket with the CVT installed. Also he will fab intake and exhaust for me, he already has the carb, cables and controls.

I will continue to post pics as I get them. I am getting excited.dance1

I have been reading your posts too...honestly I wish I knew that the GC160 was mounted like that, I probably would have spent a little extra and gone that route. I have 3 GX200 clones now, including the one that Dan has. No big deal though, just a little more of an engineering challenge to mount.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I also have 3 of the clones and think they are a great motor with unlimited potential. I did get the Honda for the ease of mounting. You will see that you need to off-set the clone way to the right to get the CVT sprocket to line up with the rear wheel. To me it needs a jack shaft from the CVT so we have some play with the drive chain.

I have the new motor now and did not know it was an over-head-cam design. One lob on the cam…That’s a simple design, made out of plastic with a belt drive. I think the only thing to do for performance is to add an exhaust and re-jet the carb. Maybe AGK will come to the rescue.

Attachments

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
hmmm. that is a good question, i guess the GX160 and 200 use alot of the same parts, but i dont see squat on AGK or ARC for the GC160. I have no idea why these guys insist on using plastic for the cams, that is just dumb if you ask me. I mean I guess if you never run it past the limiter you might be ok, but think of the load you are putting on the engine. the bike, the rider, a hill....that is much more than a pump or some attachment you would use to run the engine on, and the load would be constantly changing based on the terrain.

did you get any video of you running your other bike with the clone? i am curious how it performed once you got it dialed in. any action video, speed demon mayhem?? hehe.

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
wow, you are moving through that parking lot. and the sound of the engine is great. I cant wait to get mine on the road. in about a month it should start cooling off here, figure the bike will be on its way back to Texas by then. I need to clean up the garage and start building the motor that will actually go in it. I have all the parts in various boxes. it is going to scream!!

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Dammmmn!!!!! Dan
You'll probabaly want to do something bigger & better next, knowing you, Good work!!
and if you guy's out there are considering a top notch AAA bike (BTR) Dan is one of the best at this, I've been to his place, seen his work (bought his work) and he can make it however you want it, I bought one of his bikes and I'm more then thrilled with it.
Keep up the good work Dan

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
more pics of the bike, should be off to powder coat maybe next week. Dan is doing a great job. There is a video on youtube of some of the work he has done. here is the link...

Taylar Motorbikes --Motoredbike Magazine Spotlight-- - YouTube

the sound quality stinks, but it is still pretty interesting to watch.

here are the pics, I am very happy with this bike...

if you are on the fence for a motorized bike, go with Taylar!! superb quality, trustworthy, and just all around great. thanks Dan!

Tom G

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Those tripple trees are Sooooo Cool!! ever think about flipp'n those handle bars up right ? would make a cool cruiser as well, that rear fender is an exlnt tuch too! Dan built you a very nice bike!
I have one his bikes too and soon maybe? we can do a line up for Dan all on the same page, Dan does really good work
Look Out Compitition!

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
Those tripple trees are Sooooo Cool!! ever think about flipp'n those handle bars up right ? would make a cool cruiser as well, that rear fender is an exlnt tuch too! Dan built you a very nice bike!
I have one his bikes too and soon maybe? we can do a line up for Dan all on the same page, Dan does really good work
Look Out Compitition!
the thread line up idea is a good one, if you start the thread we can all post our Taylar builds in one spot and see all the handy work.

Got a helmet already, and yes I was most likely gonna bring the grips up higher so that it will be a little more cruiser than BTR. we shall see.

I feel pretty darn great about all of this.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Look Out Compitition!
I talked to Dan Taylar last week and he said he was going to build some bikes to race at the upcoming
SoCal Motor Bicycle Race at the Grange track on Oct 22nd.
Dan said he was finishing up the BTR for Tre_In_L.A. who has already entered and paid for the Grange race.
When I go check out the track soon I want to stop at his shop in Victorville which is on the way and close
to the track in Apple valley.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
My bike isn't as finished as your's infact it's just frame and fork, it still needs a gas tank, idler and sprocket, just got it a couple of weeks ago, it will get a sup'd chinese engine.
I had Dan lower the center bar about 1" so the tank will be just a little taller and probably flat on sides, when I get it to the point where yours is at or finished then I can start posting the Taylar Motor Bikes thread.
I really love this bike!

Attachments

Last edited: