My Board Track Build

GoldenMotor.com

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
So I finally jumped into the pool after spending some considerable time with just a toe in the water. I am working with Dan at Taylarmotorbikes to build a boardie replica. My inspiration has always been this Indian...

And then when Dan (another Dan in Cali) worked with Dan from Taylar to make this bike....

I knew that I had to contact him and get something started.

I will be using this engine, already mailed it out to California along with a brand new comet CVT, the same one that cobrafreak is running...it is the HF GX200 clone engine

I already have the following parts for the engine, and another engine here at the house that will be getting the upgrade so that I can drop it in when the boardie comes to Texas.

I will be running a slightly aggressive cam, 265 lift, with 236 duration on the intake and exhaust. I will be running 1.3 to 1 ratio rockers that will bring the lift effectively to 344, and will be running 26 pound springs. I will also be running chrome moly pushrodes, staineless valves with leash caps, and the case i have here now is already bored to ensure straightness, will run a honda .25 over piston, with the billet con rod and billet flywheel from ARC that has the adjustable timing.

Booyah!

Tom G

xct2

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
The boardie will have the round tank, with the gussetted forks, wide cranks, front and rear brakes, and a 22mm mikuni carb and custom exhaust.

here are some shots of the frame work so far...

and

and also

Dan will be building the seat pan for me and he has a guy that can do the leather. Also, I would like to have a kickstand similar to the one on cobra's 1911 Indian build for stability, and I like the look. We are working to get the bike ready in time for the Harvest Classic here in Texas, in Luchenbach. I think this will be a great place to showcase Dan's talents and help drum up more business for him in the Lone Star State...I went last year, there was one replica motorbicycle there, it was great and got a ton of attention...

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Very cool!!!! Keep us posted and the pics coming. This is going to be a beauty. Im building an Indian with a Honda GX160 also.... though mine may be some time off. Looking forward to seeing yours for sure. Good luck

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
I would agree with you Pat, and with the ton of parts out there, you can really beef up the reliability and performance, and you can run them on pump gas.

Of course, this is still new, so time will tell, but the kart racing folks have been running the crap out of these engines for years with great results.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Everyone wants more hp and engines that are cheap and readily available. The Morini is in short supply. Whizzers are expensive. The fact that there is a huge supply network out there for engines and parts makes the clone a logical choice, and with guys like CCC and AGK building some running examples, we all see the potential. I saw first hand what these engines can do at the recent races, did some research and ordered an engine. It will be fun to see how we all go about mounting them up and making them work!

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
.wee. Built moter needs a blower :) Just stick a low compression piston in that thing; re-tune and go for a land speed record!

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
Everyone wants more hp and engines that are cheap and readily available. The Morini is in short supply. Whizzers are expensive. The fact that there is a huge supply network out there for engines and parts makes the clone a logical choice, and with guys like CCC and AGK building some running examples, we all see the potential. I saw first hand what these engines can do at the recent races, did some research and ordered an engine. It will be fun to see how we all go about mounting them up and making them work!
Not to mention the pain of mixing gas in the two strokers. I am excited to see what you come up with Pat. There is concern with the mounting angle and temperature, but Cobra has had great success with his engine thusfar. I think alot of it has to do with the finned flywheel and the upgraded con rod. The oiler has like a little cup machined in it, looks like it will lubricate a **** of alot better than stock...and the thing is made extremely well. I was watching a video from ARC racing, the one that talks about cams, springs, intake and exhause, it is very interesting. Tom says he basically tried to stress and break the con rod, has not done it yet.

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
.wee. Built moter needs a blower :) Just stick a low compression piston in that thing; re-tune and go for a land speed record!
Don't tempt me, i am a recovering speed freak, suprised i am still alive...haha. Hmmm...maybe i could be the worlds fastest indian...replica...

Hi My name is Tom G and I am a speedoholic...HI TOM!!!

brnot

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
Figured now is a good time to post Dan's information on the thread. He is really easy to work with and obviously does good work. We work via email and the phone and he sends pics my way and we discuss the build. I am in no hurry to rush this, so it is nice to take the time and work through the design and implemetation of the GX200 clone engine into this frame. I will keep you all posted on the progress...he is his info. Give him a shout if you are interested...he is getting busy with these boardie's and would love to commission a project for you.

Dan Orabona: 661-341-0192
or email at:
[email protected]

Dan is located in Victorville, CA

Tom G

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I'm glad you got the billet con rod. It is a work of art. It will not break. It can't. Too strong. You will really like the GX200 clone. More power than you will ever use. The sound it makes is beautiful. Take care taking off as the rear tire will wear quickly. You can probably squeak 500 miles out of a rear tire if you take off from a standing stop gently.

Tre_in_L.A.

May 7, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
The links below haved proven useful in making a tuned exhaust for my clone. I have several working designs mounted to the AGK straight pipe and I just switchem onto the cylinder head for testing.

Somebody up thread was talking about a supercharger but being able to create a relatively stable low pressure wave (on the exhaust side) with a properly designed megaphone for this engine is actually the way to go for more usable HP and a smoother powerband. Not expensive but rather time consuming because it's all trial and error. - So far. . . .

Note: The Popular Mechanics article on Cesare Scotti at the Outboard World Championships / Exhaust Theory/Oscillioscopes is about midway down the page. You'll have to scroll but it's a good primer and first read for many on low pressure waves thru exhaust.. Good read. Old School

Cone*Layout - Product

Popular Science - Google Books

Last edited:

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
The links below haved proven useful in making a tuned exhaust for my clone. I have several working designs mounted to the AGK straight pipe and I just switchem onto the cylinder head for testing.

Somebody up thread was talking about a supercharger but being able to create a relatively stable low pressure wave (on the exhaust side) with a properly designed megaphone for this engine is actually the way to go for more usable HP and a smoother powerband. Not expensive but rather time consuming because it's all trial and error. - So far. . . .

Note: The Popular Mechanics article on Cesare Scotti at the Outboard World Championships / Exhaust Theory/Oscillioscopes is about midway down the page. You'll have to scroll but it's a good primer and first read for many on low pressure waves thru exhaust.. Good read. Old School

Cone*Layout - Product

Popular Science - Google Books
Wow cool, thanks for posting that link. I would also be interested in your design and results, feel free to post here. How is your engine break in going? From a design perspective I was kicking around the idea of having Dan lean the motor back a few more degrees so that the cylinder runs parallel with the seat tube, or whatever your call that. If you look at this pic you will see what I am talking about...

Last edited:

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
I thought that exhaust design was pretty clever too...

More pics of the build, we will be changing up the front fork a little. The tires on there are barely clearing the fork brace just below the neck, so Dan is thinking of making a one off. Anyway I still think this badboy is looking simply awesome.

hope you all had a great 4th of July, I partied on Sunday and was hungover on Monday...stooooppid. I am almost 37, you would think I would no better by now..dang jaegermeister is evil black deer blood...
haha

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
I thought that exhaust design was pretty clever too...

More pics of the build, we will be changing up the front fork a little. The tires on there are barely clearing the fork brace just below the neck, so Dan is thinking of making a one off. Anyway I still think this badboy is looking simply awesome.

hope you all had a great 4th of July, I partied on Sunday and was hungover on Monday...stooooppid. I am almost 37, you would think I would no better by now..dang jaegermeister is evil black deer blood...
haha
I apparently don't no that i don't know how to spell...hahalaff