Brakes! How are yours?

GoldenMotor.com

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Both my brake rotors are discolored from 2 years of racing. I have hydraulics but I plan on upgrading the front to either a Joker style dual front rotors or a pit bike front brake. I noticed that after the 10th lap, my brakes are pretty weak.

Matricon

Jul 18, 2012
Baltimore
Both my brake rotors are discolored from 2 years of racing. I have hydraulics but I plan on upgrading the front to either a Joker style dual front rotors or a pit bike front brake. I noticed that after the 10th lap, my brakes are pretty weak.
Just curious, what is your exact setup? Hayes, Avid etc. If your brakes are fading that bad have you considered Shimano Saints before you leap out of the Bicycle world? The brake pads on those come with Cooling fins and the rotor comes with optimized cooling construction as well. They are downhill spec so they don't skimp on power either.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I plan on getting a suspension fork for my cruiser soon. It comes with caliper mount bosses.
I want to upgrade my front brakes to Avid BB7 206mm. I will need the whole enchilada though. Heavy duty wheel assembly, caliper/ hand lever, ect.
Can anyone here recommend a web store to browse or buy from where I can find such items under 1 "roof" ? I already looked at Niagara and some other sites that yahoo search came up with, but I am not made of money and I nearly choked on my beer looking at some of the prices.
Please help if you can.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Thank you bbb! No dice though. Only odd street bike wheels with no brake rotor mount and some incomplete cheap 160mm caliper "kit".
Maby I should hit up the local swap meets....

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Sorry, I looked there and saw a rotor and caliper for $20, thought maybe you could find the rest of the parts you wanted by looking around, as they dont seem to have them all in one package. May I suggest looking around and grabbing a part here and a part there? I know its nice to order everything from one place, but sometimes you have to grab what you can, wherever you can. Perhaps eBay and Amazon will have those parts for reasonable prices. Those are usually my favorite places to shop for parts.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Just curious, what is your exact setup? Hayes, Avid etc. If your brakes are fading that bad have you considered Shimano Saints before you leap out of the Bicycle world? The brake pads on those come with Cooling fins and the rotor comes with optimized cooling construction as well. They are downhill spec so they don't skimp on power either.
I use Hayes in the rear and Avids up front. I use my brakes pretty hard going into a corner. Plus constantly slowing down from mid 40's mph with all the weight takes a toll & makes it hard for the bike to slow down during the last few laps. At the end of the race, I find myself braking sooner and that's how everyone ends up catching me. I want to go with a similiar set up as Culver City Classic's beast.