Squirrels

GoldenMotor.com

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I live in a 55+ community here in Florida. We have lots and lots of live oak trees all over the place. We are not allowed to let our pets run around loose so we are over run with these blasted tree rats. Other wise know as squirrels. They get under our houses and dig holes in the AC ducts. They get into the walls and chew wires. Then we have some old women that put peanuts out for them even though we are not allowed too.

Well, I heard that the owner of this place has a single shot pellet rifle. Oh yes...I told him I wanted to do a little squirrel hunting and could I borrow his pellet gun. Please do was his response! Well, this morning squirrel #35 bit the dust! I started about mid summer and some days I would get 2 of them. All shot by just opening a door and sticking the barrel out to shoot. If I stepped outside someone might see me and call the cops. We are NOT allowed to be doing that here. I let them lay about an hour then go out with a plastic grocery bag to pick up the squirrel that died of natural causes! Put them in the garbage can. If I wait a few days some more move into the area around my home to take up the squirrel free area and it all starts over again.

I HATE SQUIRRELS!

Terry

Last edited:

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
If I remember correctly, the stuff that's used to kill ants is a "great arsenic." I wonder if you took some of it and added some water to it, and let those peanuts soak in it before putting them out for the squirrels. Another great way to get rid of them is having cats on the loose, but if it was me, I'd be shooting the cats and eating the squirrels-they do taste like chicken too!

How about getting one of those cage traps? If you could get away with it, you could trap 'em and then do something with them...........drug them and mail 'em to somebody! laff

Don't listen to me....I've got a devious mind!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Some of my fondest memories of childhood with my dad was tree rat hunting in Missouri and Illinois when we would go up to visit family.
When I was about 8 years old I was given a sweet little 22 single shot Remington rifle. My very own and my first real gun. Dad took me squirrel hunting, found a place deep in the woods and told me to sit quietly and keep looking up in the trees and shoot a squirrel if I saw one. He had taught me to shoot and all the safety requirements that go with hunting.
I was setting there, quietly watching the trees when I saw what looked like a squirrel but in fact it was his shadow coming through a large leaf. He must have thought he was hidden from my view. Dad was stationed about thirty feet away. I was timid and instead of shooting decided to ask for permission (shades of 'rules of engagement, that would come later in life, I suppose.) I got up, crashed through the underbrush over to where dad was crouched.
"Dad...I see one." I said.
"Well....go shoot it." He said, obviously a little disgusted with me.
I went back to my spot and the squirrel, or at least his shadow was still there.
That was my first kill. And it tasted great.
I still have that little Remington today. It hangs on a gun rack upstairs.
Darn, I miss my dad.
Tom

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
How much fire power is needed to do in some attic invading racoons?
Put peanut butter inside a bug zapper and leave it plugged in up there (clear away anything inflammable though, just in case). The ones you have will leave. You'll need to find out how they got in there though.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
If I remember correctly, the stuff that's used to kill ants is a "great arsenic." I wonder if you took some of it and added some water to it, and let those peanuts soak in it before putting them out for the squirrels. Another great way to get rid of them is having cats on the loose, but if it was me, I'd be shooting the cats and eating the squirrels-they do taste like chicken too!

How about getting one of those cage traps? If you could get away with it, you could trap 'em and then do something with them...........drug them and mail 'em to somebody! laff

Don't listen to me....I've got a devious mind!
I would make a lot of money if I invent an invisible fence - that keeps out other people's dogs. (I'm tired of finding surprises the hard way.) I even have people ask me "How do ya know it wasn't YOUR dog?" I do not own a dog.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
squirrels have a death wish. They like to play chicken with me.
If you finally accidentally run over one the of little buggers it will prolly run off on you leaving bite marks on one of, or both your ankles. Then to follow lots of inoculation shots at the Dr's office in hopes of not becoming a werewolf Squirrel.:plaff

heyscuba

Jan 19, 2011
st. louis, missouri
I love squirrels, never had a problem with them, can't believe ya'll let them bother you so much,... kinda funny actually,... I would love to hear that you got caught, fined and even jailed for shooting them where you shouldn't be shooting them. We watch them spin on our spinning feeders. But, as a kid I hunted and ate them too.
To each his own.

YouTube - danmarjon's Channel

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
The amount of damage they have caused in our community is sky high. But your right, I'm a mean old man that should probably be lock up. I added the mean old man part because I'm 63 year old. Look at it this way.

I have killed 35 of them so far. They have between 2 and 6 young in each litter, depending on food supply. They have 2 litters per year. No predators, very abundant natural food supply (and water). They also have a VERY large supply of food that is not natural to them here. Besides all the peanuts they have tons of bird seed. More bird seed than your average area because we are in a state bird sanctuary. I could count 100 squirrels in 1 day with no problem. All I am doing is keeping the numbers down around my house.

FYI, I have never condoned killing animals for the sake of killing them. In the past if I killed an animal it was to eat or to harvest pelts.

If anyone wants to condemn me for what I am doing...go for it. I won't loose any sleep over it. But before you condemn me how about paying the $500.00 to the AC repairman the next time he is called, and the next time etc.

Terry

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I have ate Squirrel It is darn tasty too. The major prob anymore tho is the parasites in rabbit too and the lot. Seams there only good in the dead of winter.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I have ate Squirrel It is darn tasty too. The major prob anymore tho is the parasites in rabbit too and the lot. Seams there only good in the dead of winter.
That's what my dad always said. He'd never shoot rabbit or squirrel in the spring or summer; only late fall or winter, after a freeze.

And they don't taste like chicken...and neither do frog legs, rattlesnake or gator tail. In fact, the only thing that tastes like chicken...is chicken. Whenever something is fried, people say, "It tastes like chicken." No it doesn't. :)
Tom

heyscuba

Jan 19, 2011
st. louis, missouri
Hey Fulltimer,
Sorry sir, and no worries,...
To each his own,... I didn't mean to offend.
Some like them, some don't, if we were all the same it'd be a boring world.

This little guy was loving the birdseed and peanut butter on a T.P. roll I made for him today, right in front of my computer out the window.

heyscuba

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sorry, Scuba, I just couldn't resist. They have done a lot of damage around my house. They are very destructive, eating/chewing on things like woodwork on my house, limbs and bark on my trees and they drive my Golden Retriever crazy.
Tom

Attachments